Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

Ozuna had surgery to clean up his right shoulder and could not play the outfield until March 2019.

No way he gets signed anywhere on a multi-year deal before getting cleared by team's medical staff.  Any team will want an evaluation of his shoulder, his weight and conditioning. 

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I interpreted it as you making fun of twitter sources like Castillo

No just making a Ferris Buehler reference. I have no ill will towards Castillo or Gomez for that matter. IDK anything about Castillo but Gomez seems like a good dude for whatever that is worth.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Check your math on our idea of a shit load of money and the industry.  

They gave out their biggest deal ever about a month ago. They offered Wheeler more than the team he signed with. They offered Machado A SHIT LOAD OF MONEY (just not enough). If anything they overpaid Abreu, so say what you will about that, but they "over" PAID him.

But hey they didn't give Strasburg $250M  and the report of them signing Marcell Ozuna has been refuted so yeah perfect time for the Reinsdorf-is-cheap meme. Keep up the good work.

Edited by soxfan49
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

They gave out their biggest deal ever about a month ago. They offered Wheeler more than the team he signed with. They offered Machado A SHIT LOAD OF MONEY (just not enough). 

But hey they didn't give Strasburg $250M  and the report of them signing Marcell Ozuna has been refuted so yeah perfect time for the Reinsdorf-is-cheap meme. Keep up the good work.

Just like last year with Machado, “almost” signing a player to a big contract doesn’t count for anything.

The fact is that the biggest contract they have handed out is $73 million which is nothing to be all that impressed by.

• Like 3

Just now, soxfan49 said:

They gave out their biggest deal ever about a month ago. They offered Wheeler more than the team he signed with. They offered Machado A SHIT LOAD OF MONEY (just not enough). 

Well my math checks in at 300M Guaranteed > 250M Guaranteed.  They were 50M dollars off the winning bid.  But hey we offered the most money to Machado because of performance based options at the end of his contract.  Ask Alonso how his performance based options worked for him.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

They gave out their biggest deal ever about a month ago. They offered Wheeler more than the team he signed with. They offered Machado A SHIT LOAD OF MONEY (just not enough). If anything they overpaid Abreu, so say what you will about that, but they "over" PAID him.

You mean the $73M deal for Grandal, which only 25 other teams in baseball have signed bigger deals than that?  Perfect time for serving up the "Reinsdorf-isn't-cheap" meme.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Just like last year with Machado, “almost” signing a player to a big contract doesn’t count for anything.

The fact is that the biggest contract they have handed out is $73 million which is nothing to be all that impressed by.

They’ve offered numerous deals over that mark before and it just hasn’t worked out, yet.

I personally don’t fault them for this and don’t think they’re done offering big contracts moving forward.

One day soon someone will sign.

Just now, hi8is said:

They’ve offered numerous deals over that mark before and it just hasn’t worked out, yet.

I personally don’t fault them for this and don’t think they’re done offering big contracts moving forward.

One day soon someone will sign.

Once again, I don’t care about players and contracts that never came to fruition and you shouldn’t either.  $73 million is still the record contract for the Sox.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Once again, I don’t care about players and contracts that never came to fruition and you shouldn’t either.  $73 million is still the record contract for the Sox.

You only don't care because it doesn't fit your narrative.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Implying someone is cheap doesn’t work if they’re actively out there trying to spend big and the other side isn’t accepting the money.

Cheap is a team like the A’s who don’t even try spending big.

4 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

You mean the $73M deal for Grandal, which only 25 other teams in baseball have signed bigger deals than that?  Perfect time for serving up the "Reinsdorf-isn't-cheap" meme.  

Riiight. A month ago when that news broke we were all thrilled, and a month later despite missing out on one pitcher and offering him more, we're already dialing up memes. Good talk.

7 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well my math checks in at 300M Guaranteed > 250M Guaranteed.  They were 50M dollars off the winning bid.  But hey we offered the most money to Machado because of performance based options at the end of his contract.  Ask Alonso how his performance based options worked for him.  

I literally just acknowledged that they fell short, but you're acting like $250M is nothing. You're also assuming that the Sox had a chance to match. Kenny said they thought they had the highest deal on the table. Perhaps Machado's agent told the Padres to top it and they did and they didn't give the Sox a chance to match.

But again, you knew that.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You only don't care because it doesn't fit your narrative.  

My narrative?  It’s a fact that the money was never spent.  They didn’t sign Machado or Wheeler.

Did you ever think a team would want to appear like they are going after the big fish to appease their fan base?  Being short $50 million in guaranteed money for a player is a far cry from signing said player.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Implying someone is cheap doesn’t work if they’re actively out there trying to spend big and the other side isn’t accepting the money.

Cheap is a team like the A’s who don’t even try spending big.

See my previous post.  There are other reasons for teams to float out offers that are never going to be accepted.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

My narrative?  It’s a fact that the money was never spent.  They didn’t sign Machado or Wheeler.

Did you ever think a team would want to appear like they are going after the big fish to appease their fan base?  Being short $50 million in guaranteed money for a player is a far cry from signing said player.

JFC dude, its December 9th.  They just tried to break the largest contract in franchise history twice within 2 weeks.  STFU.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

So boring for Sox fans today. Have to remind my self that it’s barely 1pm in San Diego. But man, give me a real White Sox rumor or headline geez

It's also basically day 1 of actual stuff, I wouldn't count on anything happening today. I'm looking at tomorrow and Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Riiight. A month ago when that news broke we were all thrilled, and a month later despite missing out on one pitcher and offering him more, we're already dialing up memes. Good talk.

I literally just acknowledged that they fell short, but you're acting like $250M is nothing. You're also assuming that the Sox had a chance to match. Kenny said they thought they had the highest deal on the table. Perhaps Machado's agent told the Padres to top it and they did and they didn't give the Sox a chance to match.

But again, you knew that.

They thought their offer was better.

"If the offer that I'm seeing, or the acceptance of the offer I'm seeing is true, actually our offer had the opportunity for Manny to surpass that," Williams told reporters at the White Sox's Spring Training facility in Glendale, AZ. "But in the end we went after the guy, obviously we didn't get him, and we're disappointed."

"People are lost on the fact that on a yearly basis our offer was more than San Diego’s. The average annual value was 31 (million dollars) and change. So it was about years guaranteed. So there is an argument that could be made that our offer was the better of the two. It certainly had more upside for him. All he had to do was basically stay healthy."

"Our fans would have been much more disappointed in our inability to keep this next core together," Williams told Van Schouwen. "We would have overextended ourselves had we gone to an uncomfortable level."

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

JFC dude, its December 9th.  They just tried to break the largest contract in franchise history twice within 2 weeks.  STFU.

The franchise history contract was a joke to begin with.  It’s time to play with the big boys.

Has being a Sox fan under this ownership and management lowered your expectations so much as to think that $73 million is a huge sum of money in the MLB these days?  It’s not.

Edited by Moan4Yoan