Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

JFC dude, its December 9th.  They just tried to break the largest contract in franchise history twice within 2 weeks.  STFU.

It's almost like Wheeler was going to a team out east no matter what or something

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

They thought their offer was better.

"If the offer that I'm seeing, or the acceptance of the offer I'm seeing is true, actually our offer had the opportunity for Manny to surpass that," Williams told reporters at the White Sox's Spring Training facility in Glendale, AZ. "But in the end we went after the guy, obviously we didn't get him, and we're disappointed."

"People are lost on the fact that on a yearly basis our offer was more than San Diego’s. The average annual value was 31 (million dollars) and change. So it was about years guaranteed. So there is an argument that could be made that our offer was the better of the two. It certainly had more upside for him. All he had to do was basically stay healthy."

"Our fans would have been much more disappointed in our inability to keep this next core together," Williams told Van Schouwen. "We would have overextended ourselves had we gone to an uncomfortable level."

So nowhere in there did he say or discuss opportunities to match SD's offer.

Back to square one for you. Make another meme. Those are cool.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

See my previous post.  There are other reasons for teams to float out offers that are never going to be accepted.

So you honestly believe that this team is just out there making offers knowing they won’t get accepted.

We’ll agree on the necessity of breathing air but that’s likely to be about all.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The franchise history contract was a joke to begin with.  It’s time to play with the big boys.

Has being a Sox fan under this ownership and management lowered your expectations so much as to think that $73 million is a huge sum of money in the MLB these days?  It’s not.

$25M AAV for a good not great pitcher is in fact a huge sum of money.  But you dismiss because it doesn't fit your narrative.  You're not worth arguing with, continue to b**** away about nothing in early December if you so choose.  No matter what the Sox do, you'll complain.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

So you honestly believe that this team is just out there making offers knowing they won’t get accepted.

We’ll agree on the necessity of breathing air but that’s likely to be about all.

See Southsideirish71’s post above.

Thinking that your contract offer that is $50 million short in guaranteed money is competitive enough compared to your competition for that player is either moronic or a lie.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

It's almost like Wheeler was going to a team out east no matter what or something

So nowhere in there did he say or discuss opportunities to match SD's offer.

Back to square one for you. Make another meme. Those are cool.

Memes are fun.  What old turd are you from the past? Jim H.   

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Riiight. A month ago when that news broke we were all thrilled, and a month later despite missing out on one pitcher and offering him more, we're already dialing up memes. Good talk.

I'm still very thrilled about the Grandal addition, as I'm sure all Sox fans are.  But it's probably best to be hush-hush on this "it was the biggest deal in the team's history", because that statement is an embarrassment, since it's been beat in prior years by 25 other teams.  

And speaking of "good talk", that's all your references to "offers" that didn't eventually land the player is - "good talk".  

• Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

$25M AAV for a good not great pitcher is in fact a huge sum of money.  But you dismiss because it doesn't fit your narrative.  You're not worth arguing with, continue to b**** away about nothing in early December if you so choose.  No matter what the Sox do, you'll complain.  

Try to stick to facts.  Are you referring to $25M AAV that was never spent by the Sox?

Not spending money doesn’t fit your narrative either but you are trying to use it to.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Orlando said:

MLB . COM is reporting what Sox are interested in Ozuna and have been in contact with his agent. Such a bizarre saga

I don't really get why this is that bizarre. 

The reporter from DR reported something both specific and vague. If he was flying to the US to sign with the sox today, that would indicate an agreement had been reached. It's clear no agreement had been reached.

That doesn't mean the sox have not discussed or targeted Ozuna. They may very well have. But this reporter wouldn't be vindicated if he eventually signs with the sox, because that's not what his report was.

The tricky part is there may very well be a language barrier here. If the sentiment was intended to be like "ozuna is flying to the US for the GM meetings where he expects to sign with the white sox" that's more indicating current preference. We ultimately don't know, but the reporters that said "there is no agreement in place" were more right than the interpretation of this guys tweet (and subsequent doubling down)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The franchise history contract was a joke to begin with.  It’s time to play with the big boys.

Has being a Sox fan under this ownership and management lowered your expectations so much as to think that $73 million is a huge sum of money in the MLB these days?  It’s not.

This is a part of the problem. The financials of a contract that for most teams in the league would be business as usual, and the price you pay to "do business" (ie: field a competitive team) - is made out to be a monumental day in Sox franchise history that fans should relish. And its bullshit. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I'm still very thrilled about the Grandal addition, as I'm sure all Sox fans are.  But it's probably best to be hush-hush on this "it was the biggest deal in the team's history", because that statement is an embarrassment, since it's been beat in prior years by 25 other teams.  

And speaking of "good talk", that's all your references to "offers" that didn't eventually land the player is - "good talk".  

All my references? All two of them?

It's quite clear Machado wanted to go to the Padres. He did.

It's quite clear Wheeler wanted to go to the east coast. He did.

What else are you referring to? When they overpay for guys, "these guys are idiots." But guess what, giving Machado $300M is already somewhat regrettable by the Padres and in 5 years it'll be a horrible deal, plus the guy who's playing third for the Sox now is better.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

This is a part of the problem. The financials of a contract that for most teams in the league would be business as usual, and the price you pay to "do business" (ie: field a competitive team) - is made out to be a monumental day in Sox franchise history that fans should relish. And its bullshit. 

Indeed.  Great post.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What else are you referring to? When they overpay for guys, "these guys are idiots." But guess what, giving Machado $300M is already somewhat regrettable by the Padres and in 5 years it'll be a horrible deal, plus the guy who's playing third for the Sox now is better.

It’s quite clear to me that Machado wanted $50 million more in guaranteed money, rather than worrying about hitting incentive-based money when he is 34 years old.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Indeed.  Great post.

I meant to look around the internet, because honestly I wasn't paying much attention to the peripheral reporting on the signing, but did the Sox PR/marketing machine present this in a "See, look what we did?" sort of way to fans when the deal was publicized? 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Try to stick to facts.  Are you referring to $25M AAV that was never spent by the Sox?

Not spending money doesn’t fit your narrative either but you are trying to use it to.

I don't think the Sox are ever going to be one of the premier spenders in baseball, and I DO think that they need to spend their money wisely.  I also do give the Sox credit for offering Wheeler 5/$125M.  There is nothing you can do when you offer the guy a deal above what all 29 other clubs would offer, and he still won't take it.  I do expect them to spend most if not all of that $125M yet this offseason, that ya' know, just started.  

What happened last offseason happened last offseason.  Its over, and frankly, we're not in a meaningfully worse place because of it.  But please continue to drag every conversation back to that - its so much fun to talk about!   

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Machado would have played on the moon if the moon offered more guaranteed money.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Orlando said:

MLB . COM is reporting what Sox are interested in Ozuna and have been in contact with his agent. Such a bizarre saga

Los Medias Blancas no saben que Ozuna quiere jugar en el Southside.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It’s quite clear to me that Machado wanted $50 million more in guaranteed money, rather than worrying about hitting incentive-based money when he is 34 years old.

But it's unclear to everyone if the Sox had a chance to match that.

What it sounds like is they thought they had the best offer(which they probably did), Machado's agent asked the Padres to top it, and they did without ever giving the Sox an opportunity to up their offer.

6 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Machado would have played on the moon if the moon offered more guaranteed money.

But he wouldn't have if the moon never had a chance to offer more guaranteed money.

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

1 for 3 on your biggest targets in the past two offseasons isn’t a very good percentage.

The Reds are 1 for 3 this offseason. It's standard dude. The Yankees missed on Corbin and Machado. Shit happens. Move on. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think the Sox are ever going to be one of the premier spenders in baseball, and that they need to spend their money wisely.  I do give the Sox credit for offering Wheeler 5/$125M.  There is nothing you can do when you offer the guy a deal above what all 29 other clubs would offer, and he still won't take it.  I do expect them to spend most if not all of that $125M yet this offseason, that ya' know, just started.  

What happened last offseason happened last offseason.  Its over, and frankly, we're not in a meaningfully worse place because of it.  But please continue to drag every conversation back to that - its so much fun to talk about!   

Sox will never compete with the huge spenders, but that does not mean they cannot be aggressive for top of the market players.