Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

Just now, Orlando said:

From an article on Tsutsugo:

The White Sox likely won’t attempt to sign Tsutsugo immediately, while waiting for decisions from free agents Nicholas Castellanos and Marcell Ozuna.”

Has there been any speculation/rumors around these guys?  Aside from an article a while back, I haven't seen anything about Ozuna.  I'd have to think the Sox are interested in Castellanos; it's just odd we haven't really heard anything.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don't know that he would demand more as much as probably demand roughly the same as now, the lesser $$ required to acquire him offsets the time you don't get to play him. I also don't think he is traded.

Well I didn't say they wouldn't sign any pitcher....

109 starts = 3 full-time starters.

Let's say Cease gets to 28 starts this year from 14 last - now they need to find 95 starts. Kopech makes 15 (1/2 a season), now they need 80 starts. That's, again, nearly 3 full time starters and they've signed zero. 

They can't afford to go into a year with a Drew Smyly as their 5th starter - or Alex Wood - when they are "all in" after trading for Betts.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Has there been any speculation/rumors around these guys?  Aside from an article a while back, I haven't seen anything about Ozuna.  I'd have to think the Sox are interested in Castellanos; it's just odd we haven't really heard anything.

I’ve yet to see anyone say they’re not interested in Castellanos.

I think one of those two is going to get a hell of a lot less than he thinks; White Sox would be smart to wait that market out. If the rate drops low enough, pounce and take it home - even if neither are perfect players.

Hasn’t been much. But this was written by Morosi so I think it’s safe to say they are interested in both

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Let's say Cease gets to 28 starts this year from 14 last - now they need to find 95 starts. Kopech makes 15 (1/2 a season), now they need 80 starts. That's, again, nearly 3 full time starters and they've signed zero. 

They can't afford to go into a year with a Drew Smyly as their 5th starter - or Alex Wood - when they are "all in" after trading for Betts.

edit. 

Obviously I disagree.

Just now, bmags said:

Well, obviously it shows Rodon is a capable substitute for that production. Don't know what to tell you.

Lopez hasn't missed a start in 3 years.

Carlos Rodon has never had a single healthy season.

Health does matter.

Going into a season all-in relying on Carlos Rodon might as well be team suicide. 

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

From an article on Tsutsugo:

The White Sox likely won’t attempt to sign Tsutsugo immediately, while waiting for decisions from free agents Nicholas Castellanos and Marcell Ozuna.”

JFC, say it ain't so.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

109-28 is not 95 starts.

I'll let you sort out your math then get back to me.

Cease already made 14 starts this year; unless you just want to pretend those didn't happen, so him making 28 starts only nets you 14 more than last year.

Maybe sort out your math and facts before being a snarky douchebag.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If Kopech is healthy for the entire 2020 season there is a 0% chance he only makes 15 starts for the White Sox. You are also going to get some starts from Rodon. I'd be okay with calling that 15 starts.

It is true that the White Sox have yet to sign a free agent pitcher, but that does not mean they won't or can't if they were to add a player making ~$28MM or whatever Betts will make.

Lopez hasn't missed a start in 3 years.

Carlos Rodon has never had a single healthy season.

Health does matter.

Going into a season all-in relying on Carlos Rodon might as well be team suicide. 

Yes, this all-in definition is very important.

Just now, TomPickle said:

If Kopech is healthy for the entire 2020 season there is a 0% chance he only makes 15 starts for the White Sox. You are also going to get some starts from Rodon. I'd be okay with calling that 15 starts.

It is true that the White Sox have yet to sign a free agent pitcher, but that does not mean they won't or can't if they were to add a player making ~$28MM or whatever Betts will make.

Rodon is getting 15 starts when at best he returns in July? At most, the Sox get 10 starts from Rodon. The guy had Tommy John 7 months ago for god sakes.

Kopech isn't in the big league longer than half the season as far as Hahn has implied.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Cease already made 14 starts this year; unless you just want to pretend those didn't happen, so him making 28 starts only nets you 14 more than last year.

Maybe sort out your math and facts before being a snarky douchebag.

Okay, to solve this problem the white sox will need to sign pitchers, I agree.

The team with a pitching staff of Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Mid tier FA, lower tier FA, lower tier FA, Rodon, Mookie Betts and Grandal would be better team than Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Rodon, Mid Tier FA, Lower Tier FA, Nick Castellanos/Marcell Ozuna (and grandal)

Rodon is getting 15 starts when at best he returns in July? At most, the Sox get 10 starts from Rodon. The guy had Tommy John 7 months ago for god sakes.

Kopech isn't in the big league longer than half the season as far as Hahn has implied.

Okay, call it 30 starts between the two of them. That is essentially one full season's worth of starts.

I have not seen what you're referring to, but I guess I do believe it because the White Sox exist to make me miserable.

So they're not all-in if they trade for Betts? Then what the heck are they doing? 

I don't understnad what "all-in" means or why I should care.

I think a team with mookie betts next year is more competitive than one cobbled with this free-agent class.

If that requires them saying "we are all-in" to suit you then I am for it.

C : Grandal
1B: Abreu
2B: Madrigal
3B: Moncada
SS: Anderson
LF: Eloy
CF: Robert
RF: Betts
DH: McCann/Collins (or hopefully Encarnacion or Thames or someone along those lines)

I wouldn't be cheering the loss of Reynaldo Lopez, but damn. That lineup seems like fun. I mean Ivan Nova would surely be happy to come back and he could cover 85% of what  Lopez would give you.

Edited by TomPickle

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.