Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its out there.  He said it in the long podcast/ Q&A thing he did with Garfein a couple months ago.  Also has said it a few times in interviews since then.  I am not just making it up, but I am also not going to go dig out the quote for you.

@Chicago White Sox back me up here.  

He’s most definitely said it multiple times that Kopech will likely start the year in the minors.  And honesty, just read a Merkin article and he’ll specifically say that we have three starters (Giolito, Lopez, & Cease) locked in for OD with Kopech coming back at some point during the season.  It’s very obvious what’s he’s getting at there.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

The only guys I like left on that free agent OF market are Corey Dickerson and Domingo Santana.

If we are feeling froggy we should leap and trade for Benintendi or sign Rendon and move Moncada to RF.

Lol, what?  You're complaining about K:BB ratio and then suggest Santana.

Santana is an awful fit for RF, and terrible defender. 

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is there any article on how dickerson was able to cut his Ks so dramatically in the NL?

Yes there are.

But basically he choked up a little i think and just decided to go for more contact. I'm sure it in my posts somewhere in this thread or a Dickerson thread or the reasonable offseason . Im sure I linked the articles if you can wade through my many posts I made about him.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes there are.

But basically he choked up a little i think and just decided to go for more contact. I'm sure it in my posts somewhere in this thread or a Dickerson thread or the reasonable offseason . Im sure I linked the articles if you can wade through my many posts I made about him.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t an AL concern

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2018/09/26/corey-dickerson-defense-drs-leaders-mlb-gold-glove-favorites-outfield-alex-gordon-kevin-kiermaier/stories/201809260191       this link about how he improved defensively

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-corey-dickersons-fusion-dance/

this link about offense

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t an AL concern

Basically he made the change 2 years ago and doesn't seem as if his power has suffered for it. Might have changed his stance a little bit too.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

How could someone like Santana and not Castellanos

Price. 

Santana will be very cheap, Castellanos not so much.

Personally, I like both options.

I also like Marte a lot... just ... not sure what offer could get it done. If in any world a Collins interests them, then I'd be super IN on that. 

It doesn't matter if these 1 year rents are "fair trades."  They will not lead to building a winner.   You need to make "Fair trades" that help you win.  "Fair trades" can harm you when you trade needed parts for unneeded parts or for those quickly consumed (like 1 year rents).

And to trade pitching when this org. is way short on pitching (healthy or otherwise)?

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

It doesn't matter if these 1 year rents are "fair trades."  They will not lead to building a winner.   You need to make "Fair trades" that help you win.  "Fair trades" can harm you when you trade needed parts for unneeded parts or for those quickly consumed (like 1 year rents).

And to trade pitching when this org. is way short on pitching (healthy or otherwise)?

Trading a #4/5 starter and two B level prospects for the second best player in baseball is a pipe dream in any scenario other than when you just get one year of control of that player. If the White Sox were to make this trade they would then need to go out and still acquire more players to really compete to win the World Series. They would not need to mortgage their future to do so, however. They could do this novel thing called "spending money" that other teams have used to varying degrees of success.

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean, Lopez isn't even 26 years old yet. Seems odd to give up on any arm with his talent and stuff; in the past three years, he's taken his k-rate from 5.66 to 7.28 to 8.07. Everything else has not improved in sync, but the talent is there. I wouldn't give up on Lopez at this point

We wouldn't be giving up on Lopez until he sucked if he stayed here. We wouldn't be giving up on him if we trade him, as we'd be getting an MVP who fills a huge positional need. 

5 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Agreed. I think he will mash too. I just hope Robert can cover the entire outfield in this scenario.

Castellanos and Ozuna both bat right handed.  Castellanos can't catch the ball and Ozuna is recovering from shoulder injury.  My guess would be Pederson.

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I could see the Dodgers now asking for Stiever since they know the Sox have wanted Joc for a while (and he had a pretty good year last season) despite only one year left.

The White Sox should say no to this ask. 

An expensive not great player with one year of control should not bring a solid return. 

At similar dollar amounts you can have Joc or Calhoun and Stiever. I’d definitely take that.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Is there any article on how dickerson was able to cut his Ks so dramatically in the NL?

I just read an article from NBC Sports saying that Dickerson might be looking for a two year deal for $15 mil. Turns 31 in May and bats lefty. In the article reported to be a good clubhouse fit and IF he's healed from the foot surgery wondering what the thoughts are on him? Maybe an under the radar guy to watch?

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.