Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

This whole thing is weird.  I will say this:  Hector Gomez was pretty tied in to the Machado pursuit last year and clearly cares about his reputation (defends his Machado reporting to anyone who brings it up).  The fact that he ran with this means Frank Castillo is legit in the DR.  Real sports reporters don't want to torch their reputations, so I think there's something to this.  He made a pretty definitive Ozuna to the Sox statement.

I also asked Hector Gomez if he could confirm it and he hasn’t been able to so far so we shall see

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

And a lot of Ozuna production came in a single year he hasn’t come close to replicating offensively, and his early career WAR was fueled by defense he hasn’t come close to replicating. 

With Castellanos you can be much more sure to expect a wRC+ above 110. With Ozuna? He isn’t unlikely to hit it, but he’s also not unlikely to have just an average year offensively.

He really isn’t that different than when we signed Melky.

Melky had an elite batted ball profile?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This Schins dude clearly knows nothing IMO.  Pretty he was making up shit in regard to Wheeler.

Yeah he’s fake. Calls himself “Chisox Schin” yet has a source that knows Ozuna personally and even claims to know what teams Ozuna is considering. These fake insiders need to be more believable. Not even the best of the best pretend to be that connected.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Yeah he’s fake. Calls himself “Chisox Schin” yet has a source that knows Ozuna personally and even claims to know what teams Ozuna is considering. These fake insiders need to be more believable. Not even the best of the best pretend to be that connected.

Exactly.  If you want to be a fake White Sox insider, at least pretend your source is someone in or connected to the White Sox’s front office.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

What’s amazing to me is all these twitter insiders that know all these tiny details, yet they didn’t know about the Sox signing Grandal to the biggest deal in team history.  I trust Y2J, Shack, WSD, Tony etc before any of these anonymous guys.

100% agree, but I do give the DR reporter a tiny bit more credence than the typical random Twitter insider.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree, but I do give the DR reporter a tiny bit more credence than the typical random Twitter insider.

Oh yeah I trust Hector and company.  Who knows, maybe Ozuna’s family is misinterpreting what’s going on.

Edited by fathom

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah I also agree with what you're saying.  These guys in the DR - Gomez, and this reporter really seem to know something and are willing to stand by it.  Also agree with Fathom and the list of guys to believe on twitter. I would also add rabbit and bucket or whatever he calls himself these days. 

Edited by smellysox
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Seems odd they would flat out deny it though. If you couldn’t confirm it I would think you stay quite instead of jumping to a conclusion.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His family thinks it’s true?  Do you mean like his extended family?  Where are you hearing this Jimmy?  Twitter?

5 hours ago, Orlando said:

Thanks for this. Where are you seeing the stuff about Ozuna’s family? Interested to see this

It's not public knowledge. The original reporter and Ozuna are friends. Many locally have denied this story at this point and publicly/privately but I heard from someone reputable that family members of Ozuna confirmed the story this morning. I have no idea what's actually true but it's a very strange story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If you look at Ozuna’s most recent Instagram post, it’s actually promoting an event that he is partaking in, in Dominica Republic tomorrow. 

He could be flying after the event. Did the original post from this DR reporter say he was flying to Chicago or to the states? Hahn and company will be flying to the winter meetings tomorrow.  

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's not public knowledge. The original reporter and Ozuna are friends. Many locally have denied this story at this point and publicly/privately but I heard from someone reputable that family members of Ozuna confirmed the story this morning. I have no idea what's actually true but it's a very strange story. 

Thanks as always Jimmy!