Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Has anyone thought that they might acquire a CF instead and play Robert in RF? It's also an option. Does anyone know of any decent CF trade/FA options? It's like we never even considered Robert playing RF. 

This is just ridiculous. Why would you move a potential stud defensive player in CF to RF?

• Love 1

Just now, fathom said:

This is just ridiculous. Why would you move a potential stud defensive player in CF to RF?

It sounds ridiculous, but if they can't find a viable RF with a RF arm, and they can get a huge upgrade offensively in CF but the guy has a below average arm, that might be a more economically viable situation. There aren't a lot of decent defensive RF out there. 

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It sounds ridiculous, but if they can't find a viable RF with a RF arm, and they can get a huge upgrade offensively in CF but the guy has a below average arm, that might be a more economically viable situation. There aren't a lot of decent defensive RF out there. 

So you’re gonna move your potential superstar CF to RF because there doesn’t happen to be a perfect RF candidate during this one specific offseason? I’d rather they just sign you to play RF instead of moving Robert off of CF. 

9 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Leury does not help the team better than Engel who can atelast play defense and steal bases and Mendick who is a better hitter than Leury. Leury Garcia strikes out way too much and does not look confident in the outfield.

I'm an Engel guy myself.  The bench probably will have room for both Engel & Garcia.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tray said:

You are right, Benintendi's 20 HR power is 2017 diminished to 13 HR last season so that may be a concern. I like his bat otherwise and his defense, even though he does not have the prototypical RF arm. I don't think  the BoSox would require that the WSox eat any salary if they traded a player like McCann (or McCann plus Yolmer) for him.  Not sure Bennintendi is worth that, but he is under team control until 2023, which I know the Sox brass would like.  Assuming he improves his power numbers a little bit, he could be a solution for RF or LF for several years. 

He would be a great addition if the price was as you suggest.

10 hours ago, SkokieSox said:

Shogo Akiyama should be in the conversation. Not tremendous power, 20 homers last year, but known to be a very good defender. Turning 32, so a switch from CF to RF would seem appropriate. Good average and OBP, .303/.392 last season over 143 games. 12 stolen bases. I don’t think he’ll be very expensive, even though a few teams have interest. I like the balance and good defense he could provide. Good to have a Japanese fan support base as well. 

This is an interesting name.  Haven't heard his name brought up before.  Looked him up and his history looks promising.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:07 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Find a relatively cheap to acquire but solid one year stop gap for 2020 and go for the gold next year in FA. Plenty of great options headlines by Mookie, Springer, Joc and Brantley in 21 FA class. 

If Adolfo blows up in meantime, great. Frankly not expecting much from the Rutherford, Gonzalez and Basabe trio at this point, and Walker is still at least 2 years away. I do think Micker can still be that guy if he can stay healthy. 

I'm right there with you on Micker. He's a diamond in the rough and honestly he could be a Soler type guy in a few years IMO. Seems like he's been around forever...but he's still young.

I posted this in the Rendon thread when another in my view silly Billy Hamilton convo started, however it suits this convo better.

Keeping in with this conversation but suggesting a more sensible player. My plan C is Jackie Bradley Jr.

But importantly in a platoon WITH Engel. 

Engel over 88 at bats against lefties (I know SSS) hit over .350obp.

JBJ hit .320obp with pop from the other side of the platoon in a down year. Together they would form a .335ish obs base with 20 plus home runs.

i know the above isn’t electric but it would be above league average hitting at a small cost. 

Furthermore, say we are 2 runs up in the 7th all three head into the outfield once Eloy has only one at bat left. With that outfield very little drops. This has value on both sides of the ball and is a cheaper option that trades or my plan A,  Big D**k Nick.

11 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I'm going to continue with my unglamorous suggestion of Ben Zobrist on a one year deal.  High OBP, another switch hitter for the lineup, played 84 games in the OF in 2018 and 64 the year before, high character guy.

I would love Zobrist.  I support this hard.  Could play 2B until Madrigal comes up and then can play RF/2B thereafter.

17 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I honestly don't think Castellanos would be that bad defensively in RF. And since the Sox now have Grandal, I'm fine with getting a right handed bat to fill RF, especially considering how good Castellanos is.

I would go with Avi before Casty. 

I know he isn't the "last piece", and I don't know what his market looks like, but in terms of depth, signing Starlin Castro as a utility/bench player to fill in before Madrigal is called up or if he struggles out of the gate would be a solid pick up. Not to mention, he can be used at SS if Timmy is sitting. Again, I don't know his cost or market, but I can't imagine him being costly. Not to mention, he's 29 with a .270/.300/.436 with 22 HR.  In terms of depth, I don't see this being a bad move. 

Fire away.

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.