Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, the market is quickly running out of pitchers.  Kind of bizarre that we’re waiting to see who will be the last man standing and simply signing them rather than be proactive and going after a guy we think may be undervalued.

This is the most frustrating thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I know, but that still doesn’t change the fact that the supply side is quickly shrinking and if there is a guy we really like on a one year deal (like say Wood) that maybe we should be a bit more aggressive.  My concern (which is a bit Parkman-ish admittedly) is we view all these pitchers as interchangeable and are simply waiting for the best bargain possible.  That seems unlikely, but at the same time we haven’t signed anyone yet which is still very much surprising to me.

What worries me even more is the Sox are trying to sign someone and keep coming up short. I don’t think that’s the case, but it’s hard to know for sure. They do seem to be attached to quite a few players this offseason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

The market is rapidly running out of FA starters that are better than Dylan Covey.

Here's a list of starting pitchers still available; the ones who have been bolded are better than Dylan Covey:

Name
Hyun-Jin Ryu
MadisonBumgarner
Homer Bailey
Ivan Nova
Wade Miley
Andrew Cashner
Jason Vargas
Julio Teheran
Gio Gonzalez
Rich Hill
Dallas Keuchel
Aaron Sanchez
Collin McHugh
Robbie Erlin
Matt Moore
Josh Tomlin
Clay Buchholz
Chad Bettis
Cody Anderson
Tommy Milone
Jeremy Hellickson
Taijuan Walker
Tyson Ross
Jhoulys Chacín
Felix Hernandez
Jimmy Nelson
Edinson Volquez
Marco Estrada
Clayton Richard
Alex Wood
Danny Salazar
Kohl Stewart
Shelby Miller
Steven Wright
Rico Garcia
Drew Smyly
Matt Harvey
Wade LeBlanc
Jerad Eickhoff
Wei-Yin Chen
Ervin Santana
Ross Detwiler
Trevor Cahill
Derek Holland
Edwin Jackson
James Shields
Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

What worries me even more is the Sox are trying to sign someone and keep coming up short. I don’t think that’s the case, but it’s hard to know for sure. They do seem to be attached to quite a few players this offseason.

And mostly affordable guys where it should only take an extra million or two to land them.  You’d think we’d have our pick of the litter given our financial flexibility.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Do you realize how bad our 2-5 starters were last year? 

You're putting the cart before the horse.   Get a #2.   Hope Kopech and Cease are the real deal.   

That should be our focus.  

We need both.  There is zero reason that Hahn can’t pursue both at the same time.  Also, who fits this #2 starter type that you think we’ll pursue?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

We need both.  There is zero reason that Hahn can’t pursue both at the same time.  Also, who fits this #2 starter type that you think we’ll pursue?

That's Rich Hahn's job, either pay the price for Bumgarner or Ryu or trade for someone.  

I truly don't care what he does with the #5, and as far as I know Reynaldo Lopez isn't dead yet.  

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

That's Rich Hahn's job, either pay the price for Bumgarner or Ryu or trade for someone.  

I truly don't care what he does with the #5, and as far as I know Reynaldo Lopez isn't dead yet.  

Gio, Reylo, Cease are literally the only starters they have that they can rely on for opening day.

Cease and Reylo are still big question marks; obviously both could improve and be very good but they shouldn't be relying on that. 

Hahn has no interest in overpaying the three guys left, so if their prices don't come down I'm pretty sure the Sox are out and that's actually fine with me. 

Just now, Hatchetman said:

should be closer to -3 WAR

Based on what? It's no where near -3.

Detwiler - 70 IP; -.6

Manny - 50 IP; -.4

Ervin - 13 IP; -.4 (This is IMPRESSIVE in 13 innings)

Despaigne 13 IP; -.1

Fulmer/Hecton 22 IP; -.15

That's -1.65

5th starter spot is only getting about 165 innings in a year. That's 168 above.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Gio, Reylo, Cease are literally the only starters they have that they can rely on for opening day.

Cease and Reylo are still big question marks; obviously both could improve and be very good but they shouldn't be relying on that

Hahn has no interest in overpaying the three guys left, so if their prices don't come down I'm pretty sure the Sox are out and that's actually fine with me. 

I think that's were fans are being wrong and unrealistic. 

The Sox are heavily relying on those guys.  Cease has to be good in order for this rebuild to work.   Lopez needs to be given a chance to stick in this rotation on the back end.

I think we as fans are being a bit impatient and want to win in 2020 at any cost, even if it's pushing young developing pieces to the side.   That wasn't the purpose of this rebuild.  For a Brett Anderson to come in here and take a rotation  spot from as Cease or Lopez all because of being desparate to see if we can squeeze into a WC spot.  

It makes no sense.