Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I think that's were fans are being wrong and unrealistic. 

The Sox are heavily relying on those guys.  Cease has to be good in order for this rebuild to work.   Lopez needs to be given a chance to stick in this rotation on the back end.

I think we as fans are being a bit impatient and want to win in 2020 at any cost, even if it's pushing young developing pieces to the side.   That wasn't the purpose of this rebuild.  For a Brett Anderson to come in here and take a rotation  spot from as Cease or Lopez all because of being desparate to see if we can squeeze into a WC spot.  

It makes no sense. 

I don't think so. I think Cease is going to be good, but I don't think him being great dictates the success of the rebuild.

If the Sox sign another starter or trade for one (that fits the #1-#2 bill), they'll have 3 guys ahead of Cease that they trust more (Kopech, Gio and FA/Trade target). Lopez and Cease shift back to the bottom of the rotation. They're still important, and if either becomes a complete monster they have a hell of a rotation.

42 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't think so. I think Cease is going to be good, but I don't think him being great dictates the success of the rebuild.

If the Sox sign another starter or trade for one (that fits the #1-#2 bill), they'll have 3 guys ahead of Cease that they trust more (Kopech, Gio and FA/Trade target). Lopez and Cease shift back to the bottom of the rotation. They're still important, and if either becomes a complete monster they have a hell of a rotation.

I agree it doesn't have to be Cease.. But if we refuse to bring in top flight pitching (which we refuse to).. Two out of Kopech/Cease/Lopez have to hit and be very strong... I guess we have to build our staff from within.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

I agree it doesn't have to be Cease.. But if we refuse to bring in top flight pitching (which we refuse to).. Two out of Kopech/Cease/Lopez have to hit and be very strong... I guess we have to build our staff from within.

Why does Sox ownership and management refuse to bring in pitching?  Where did all of the money go that was never spent by maintaining low payrolls for all of these rebuild years and after missing out in Machado last year?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why does Sox ownership and management refuse to bring in pitching?  Where did all of the money go that was never spent by maintaining low payrolls for all of these rebuild years and after missing out in Machado last year?

Profits are passed through to the limited partners annually. It is gone now.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Refuse to bring in pitching...odd, I'm pretty sure they were the highest bidders for Wheeler. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Refuse to bring in pitching...odd, I'm pretty sure they were the highest bidders for Wheeler. 

I don’t count players that didn’t sign contracts to become actual White Sox players.  You shouldn’t either.

That’s $120 million not spent.  Will they spend it elsewhere?  Oops, I guess this is where you won’t respond...

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t count players that didn’t sign contracts to become actual White Sox players.  You shouldn’t either.

That’s $120 million not spent.  Will they spend it elsewhere?  Oops, I guess this is where you won’t respond...

I usually won't respond right away because I have a life away from these message boards that I enjoy, so sometimes I don't get back for a day or two and the conversation has taken a turn. Not sure why you need to be a dick to everyone that disagrees with you. 

My POINT was, they are WILLING to spend the money right now, and just because it HASN'T been spent, doesn't mean it WON'T be.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He didn't sign and he's not on the team.

Maybe if Hahn, Kenny, and the owner didn't harbor a culture of failure during their tenure he would be here.

Thank you.  I can’t believe people defend failed signings as if it’s some sort of participation award.  😂

I want to see what these same defenders say when Wheeler’s $120 million isn’t actually spent elsewhere, just like Machado’s $250 million from last offseason.  $73 million was spent on Grandal.  I’m still waiting on the rest of it to be spent...

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Thank you.  I can’t believe people defend failed signings as if it’s some sort of participation award.  😂

I want to see what these same defenders say when Wheeler’s $120 million isn’t actually spent elsewhere, just like Machado’s $250 million from last offseason.  $73 million was spent on Grandal.  I’m still waiting on the rest of it to be spent...

5 million of the Machado money went to non-tender candidate Nomar Mazara.  Apparently we had zero money going forward if Machado had signed, according to Rick Hahn.

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

5 million of the Machado money went to non-tender candidate Nomar Mazara.  Apparently we had zero money going forward if Machado had signed, according to Rick Hahn.

Great post.  I have no doubt the Sox front office is banking on most Sox fans being lemmings and not looking into stuff like this.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

13 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I usually won't respond right away because I have a life away from these message boards that I enjoy, so sometimes I don't get back for a day or two and the conversation has taken a turn. Not sure why you need to be a dick to everyone that disagrees with you. 

My POINT was, they are WILLING to spend the money right now, and just because it HASN'T been spent, doesn't mean it WON'T be.

Willing means jack shit.  Get back to me when the money is actually spent.

Your argument literally perpetuates the defense of the Sox front office and not actually spending money.

Congrats, cuz your fandom contributes directly to Reinsdorf’s strategy of not spending money like a legitimate MLB contender.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28291941/injured-yoenis-cespedes-agrees-pay-cut-grievance-settlement

Cespedes takes big cut to settle grievance, Wacha and Porcello give Mets six starters.

New ownership!

That's pretty big news regarding Cespedes. Mets have been looking for salary relief and they got it without making a trade.Also always love the incentive based contracts for guys like Wacha . Low base salary but plenty of incentives to reward them for not only being productive but also taking the field consistently.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's pretty big news regarding Cespedes. Mets have been looking for salary relief and they got it without making a trade.Also always love the incentive based contracts for guys like Wacha . Low base salary but plenty of incentives to reward them for not only being productive but also taking the field consistently.

It sounds like Cespedes broke his ankle doing something that broke his contract.  Dirt biking perhaps?

I’m guessing he agreed to take less money because the Mets could’ve tried to void his remaining contract.

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Lol at stepped in a hole. It's like when dude from the Bears broke his hands tripping over his dog. Or the guy who tripped over his luggage. 

Have you ever stepped in a hole that might be a foot deep ? Your whole body goes forward while your foot stays in the hole. That could really fuck up an ankle.It's plausible . Believable or not it takes too much money and time to find the real truth which is why they came to an agreement and that agreement was a big win for the Mets.

54 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Have you ever stepped in a hole that might be a foot deep ? Your whole body goes forward while your foot stays in the hole. That could really fuck up an ankle.It's plausible . Believable or not it takes too much money and time to find the real truth which is why they came to an agreement and that agreement was a big win for the Mets.

Not saying stepping in a hole isn't bad. I'm saying that is probably not what happened. The team wouldn't aggressively reduce his salary if it were a simple honest accident. He did something for them to take adverse action.