Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

Sox put spring training tix on sale today.  Unless you're going with a large group I'd just wait and buy tickets day of the game if you're going down there.  Once we get closer to spring I'll put together my annual guide to the parks down there and stuff to do, where to stay, etc.  I doubt I'll be going down this year with a couple other trips already committed but we'll see.  Highly encourage everybody to go at least once and with the roster this year you're going to see some awesome stuff.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

2 hours ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

That "top 8" includes some of these smartest teams in baseball. 

I don’t know how legitimate this guy is or where he is getting his sources but he is posting quite a bit on the Twins Reddit Board. It sounds like this can be the reason for the holdup with Donaldson.

Edited by maloney.adam

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I don’t know how legitimate this guy is but it sounds like this can be the reason for the holdup with Donaldson.

1. Why would donaldson care about divisional pitching? Its likely his final deal. 

2. Nats staff is getting old - Mets staff is good but losing Wheeler hurts. That said, the Indians staff isn't far behind (if at all) those teams, and the White Sox could be every bit as good as the Nats over the next 4 years (SP wise) and they should be better than the Phillies.

Marlins are brutal as are the Royals. Detroit sucks - NL east doesnt have two bad teams atm.

American league in general is, as always, the stronger and more difficult league to succeed in.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

20 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I don’t know how legitimate this guy is or where he is getting his sources but he is posting quite a bit on the Twins Reddit Board. It sounds like this can be the reason for the holdup with Donaldson.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s very legit

This.  

11 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

By this argument, Wheeler would have been much better off facing every team but the Twins in the AL Central...

9 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m starting to get the feeling that the Donaldson free agency is going to drag on for months like the Machado free agency last year. A mystery team is going to come out of nowhere and sign him last minute.

I think Donaldson's value is not what he thinks it is.  The Bryant and Arenado situations probably have a greater impact as he is the third option and much lower than those two.

The Bryant grievance is the largest holdup.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think Donaldson's value is not what he thinks it is.  The Bryant and Arenado situations probably have a greater impact as he is the third option and much lower than those two.

The Bryant grievance is the largest holdup.

All he costs is money. Donaldson is as attractive to me as either of those guys.

When are the Sox going to announce their non-roster ST invites and other milb deals?  I know a few have sprinkled in - Detwiler, Delmonico, Cuthbert, Frare, Burr - but I expect there will be many more.  Merkin mentioned in a tweet a couple weeks ago that that slew of NRI guys would be announced after the new year, but I haven't seen it.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1. Why would donaldson care about divisional pitching? Its likely his final deal. 

2. Nats staff is getting old - Mets staff is good but losing Wheeler hurts. That said, the Indians staff isn't far behind (if at all) those teams, and the White Sox could be every bit as good as the Nats over the next 4 years (SP wise) and they should be better than the Phillies.

Marlins are brutal as are the Royals. Detroit sucks - NL east doesnt have two bad teams atm.

American league in general is, as always, the stronger and more difficult league to succeed in.

He would miss out on facing Twins pitching.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

He’s obviously plenty attractive if he can receive three offers of more than $100 million and at least four years at his age.

Sounds like he probably hasn't gotten a single offer that is actually close to $110M based on the recent reporting.  

20 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I get the general feeling that Donaldson is a guy focused on his stats. He is very into launch angle and once said if he never hit another ground ball again he wouldn't care.So it is possible  he is that into his own stats and might be looking to be in the best situation possible along with the money of course to pad his stats and make a legit finish to his career and wants to make the HOF. He might have some analytics guy who breaks down pitchers in each division looking for guys he hits particularly well, fly ball pitchers or whatever else he thinks will help him most.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/toddler-struck-albert-almora-jrs-foul-ball-has-permanent-brain-injury

Damn...Feel so bad for the girl, her family, and Almora. Also one more thing added to the Astros shit-list this offseason.

“She (the child) has an injury to a part of the brain, and it is permanent,” attorney Richard Mithoff told the Houston Chronicle. “She remains subject to seizures and is on medication and will be, perhaps, for the rest of her life. That may or may not be resolved.”

Mithoff added doctors described the injury as affecting the girl’s central nervous system like how a stroke would. Injuries to the affected areas of the brain can lead to seizures, loss of sensation and spatial awareness, per Mithoff. Other potential effects include periods of unresponsiveness, frequent headaches and night terrors.