Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

7 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Could they be looking at Bryant?

If they are they definitely have the prospects for a trade involving Bryant. Bleacher Report has the Twins as the 9th best farm system going into this year. 

Secondly, if they are trying to trade for Bryant then the Twins must feel pretty confident that Bryant is going to lose his grievance. So Twins would have him for 2 years. Not sure they would do this for a 1 year rental. 

3 hours ago, Bad Hombre said:

Could they be looking at Bryant?

The Twins have a good farm but don't have a lot of MLB ready talent outside of Brent Rooker and Graterol.  By MLB ready I mean could be starting OD 2020.

I would think the Cubs would be trying to get players back that could play this year.  If not then there is a lot to pick from that will be ready in a year or 2 from Minnie.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

7 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The Twins have a good farm but don't have a lot of MLB ready talent outside of Brent Rooker and Graterol.  By MLB ready I mean could be starting OD 2020.

I would think the Cubs would be trying to get players back that could play this year.  If not then there is a lot to pick from that will be ready in a year or 2 from Minnie.

I would think the Cubs would want best prospects.  Their time to rebuild is now.  They cannot re-tool (trade for worse MLB ready guys) with their payroll and roster the way it is.  Trade for Royce Lewis even though he's years away, and has some bust potential. Or Kiriloff who will debut this year.

Edited by cjgalloway

I would love to see the Twins trade Lewis + Graterol/Balazovic + Larnach for 2 years of Bryant.  The Twins would really be doubling down on 2020 and 2021 - without much pitching - and their outlook for 2023 on would be pretty terrible.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would love to see the Twins trade Lewis + Graterol/Balazovic + Larnach for 2 years of Bryant.  The Twins would really be doubling down on 2020 and 2021 - without much pitching - and their outlook for 2023 on would be pretty terrible.  

What a dilemma, Twins mortgaging the future or Cubs getting a haul for a quick "rebuild". The Cubs could easily bounce back in 2021 if Lewis breaks out in the minors this year.

57 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I would think the Cubs would want best prospects.  Their time to rebuild is now.  They cannot re-tool (trade for worse MLB ready guys) with their payroll and roster the way it is.  Trade for Royce Lewis even though he's years away, and has some bust potential. Or Kiriloff who will debut this year.

This made me chuckle; the Cubs are going to "rebuild" again as the 3rd richest team in the sport. 

They already made their fans sit through a 4 year rebuild despite being incredibly profitable. Now they want them to go through another one.

Teams like the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox don't "rebuild." It's amazing to me that fans just accept this concept from a big market team as if there's nothing wrong with it. 

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

This actually doesn't make any sense.  They most likely would be looking for MLB ready talent, considering the contracts and players they have.

EDIT: If they weren't going to just retool with MLB ready talent literally ever veteran on their roster should be available.  That's not the case because that's not what they are doing.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

What a dilemma, Twins mortgaging the future or Cubs getting a haul for a quick "rebuild". The Cubs could easily bounce back in 2021 if Lewis breaks out in the minors this year.

Yah, I don't really give 2 fucks about the Cubs, so doesn't affect me much.  Get it from a traditional Sox fan perspective tho.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I don't really give 2 fucks about the Cubs, so doesn't affect me much.  Get it from a traditional Sox fan perspective tho.  

For me the less of the 2 evils is the Twins. Twins with their farm and young talent is going to be good for a while, but I think Sox are in a even better position for the next 4-5 years. One is going to win the AL Central and the other is positioned well for the WC. I don't think I need them to be bad enough to give ways to Cubs for a quick rebuild.

If Sox were to be relevant again in their city and regain some of the fanbase, the Cubs needs to suck for a while.

28 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Cubs are pretty maxed out with an already poor farm and it would take a lot maneuvering for even a 'retool.'  Their bandwagon has faded back to pre-2016.  I'm more concerned about the Twins being in the Sox way in the near future.  

7 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Cubs are pretty maxed out with an already poor farm and it would take a lot maneuvering for even a 'retool.'  Their bandwagon has faded back to pre-2016.  I'm more concerned about the Twins being in the Sox way in the near future.  

Disagree on that. The Cubs payroll are south of $150M in 2021 if they get out of the Bryant situation. Then on top of that they jettison their farm with a top 10 prospect in Lewis, 2 top 50 in Graterol and Larnarch who all could play this year or next, and that they also have a top 50 of their own in Hoerner who's now ready to play. They could become relevant again in a year or two if things pan out.

Found good historical background on big turnarounds, of the kind we are hoping to embark on in 2020

http://mcubed.net/mlb/bwimp.shtml

If we won 100 games next year, we'd be the 24th biggest turnaround of all time.  Rare, of course, but we just replaced Yonder and AJ Reed with Edwin Encarnacion today, showing just how vile and bad our starting point was...so that gives hope

57 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This made me chuckle; the Cubs are going to "rebuild" again as the 3rd richest team in the sport. 

They already made their fans sit through a 4 year rebuild despite being incredibly profitable. Now they want them to go through another one.

Teams like the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox don't "rebuild." It's amazing to me that fans just accept this concept from a big market team as if there's nothing wrong with it. 

have you even seen their payroll situation or their minor league situation?  Dodgers, Yankees and Redsox (teams you mentioned) have generally ALWAYS had strong minor league systems to help them quickly re-tool. Nice try  

Edited by cjgalloway

15 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Disagree on that. The Cubs payroll are south of $150M in 2021 if they get out of the Bryant situation. Then on top of that they jettison their farm with a top 10 prospect in Lewis, 2 top 50 in Graterol and Larnarch who all could play this year or next, and that they also have a top 50 of their own in Hoerner who's now ready to play. They could become relevant again in a year or two if things pan out.

Perhaps I should have stated that I'm less concerned as a Sox fan if the Cubs are a playoff team again in the near future.  They could be good and it would bother me way less than when their 2016 bandwagon was omnipresent everywhere i went in the city.  As gross as it was to see Cubs gear in Bridgeport and McKinley park, if the Sox are in the playoffs I don't think that happens again.  The Twins standing in the Sox way is a way bigger concern for me.

13 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

have you even seen their payroll situation or their minor league situation?  Dodgers, Yankees and Redsox (teams you mentioned) have generally ALWAYS had strong minor league systems to help them quickly re-tool. Nice try  

Its theo's fault they dont have a farm lol.

Its inexcusable for a major market team to rebuild and cry poor twice in 10 years. I have no idea why fans accept this bullshit from filthy rich ownership groups.

The cubs have no problem spending millions and millions developing the area around the ballpark. Yet, when it comes to the team they cry poor.

Their payroll situation lol? Something else theo created. When the yankees have dead contracts they dont tell the fans they cant try because of them.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Its theo's fault they dont have a farm lol.

Its inexcusable for a major market team to rebuild and cry poor twice in 10 years. I have no idea why fans accept this bullshit from filthy rich ownership groups.

The cubs have no problem spending millions and millions developing the area around the ballpark. Yet, when it comes to the team they cry poor.

Their payroll situation lol? Something else theo created. When the yankees have dead contracts they dont tell the fans they cant try because of them.

The Cubs have not cried poor. They are doing exactly what you said they should do. They are protecting their future draft picks by not going over the tax threshold. The arent crying poor, saying they have no money. The have said they have no roo. Under the tax and dont want to go over it.