Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I doubt their fans feel the same.  They haven't advanced past the division series since 2008 when they beat the Sox.  Did make the playoffs 4/11 seasons, but haven't won a series.  

The Rays do it an interesting way and very cheapy, but its not like they've actually done anything with it.  

While I agree that end of the day winning trumps all...BUT, what the Rays front office has done with their payroll is pretty amazing. Their scouting department probably deserves most of the credit, they are the kings of finding the most value other teams can’t. Wouldn’t shock me if this is another 1 of those cases. 
Of course they aren’t infallible either so this could easily blow up in their faces 

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cash is a pretty big factor there.  How much cash?  If like $20M, that is such a no brainer for the Rockies.  Who is beating that?  That is like trading Cease, Madrigal and Vaughn for him.  Crazy town.  

Well, you know if the Cardinals are trading for Arenado, Gorman is a lock to be heading to Colorado as his replacement.  You know the Rockies will also want pitching and the Cardinals didn’t have much until now so Liberatore will be in the deal.  Carlson’s stock has soared and would make a nice replacement for an aging Blackmon and allow them to trade him for more young talent.  An outfield of Dahl, Tapia, and Carlson would be nice.

Speculating on cash amounts is too hard.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Well, you know if the Cardinals are trading for Arenado, Gorman is a lock to be heading to Colorado as his replacement.  You know the Rockies will also want pitching and the Cardinals didn’t have much until now so Liberatore will be in the deal.  Carlson’s stock has soared and would make a nice replacement for an aging Blackmon and allow them to trade him for more young talent.  An outfield of Dahl, Tapia, and Carlson would be nice.

Speculating on cash amounts is too hard.

The return for a guy with minimal surplus value on a market rate deal shouldn't be 3 top 40 prospects.  Even if there were no money involved.  That is a crazy good return.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The return for a guy with minimal surplus value on a market rate deal shouldn't be 3 top 40 prospects.  Even if there were no money involved.  That is a crazy good return.  

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Cardinals overpay to get quite a bit of cash back.  They don’t want to end up in luxury tax hell like the Cubs.  I believe they are at around $168 million for 2020 right now.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This has to be a flip or it doesn't make sense for StL.

Also Carlson isn't going anywhere even for NA.

Why no sense for Cardinals?  They bring back Ozuna and now have a stud pitching prospect in their system. Martinez is an AL style player anyways

11 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This has to be a flip or it doesn't make sense for StL.

Also Carlson isn't going anywhere even for NA.

I agree with Harold’s Leg Lift:

Matt Liberatore, Zack Thompson, and Nolan Gorman for Nolan Arenado and cash.

I wonder how many times two 3B with the same first name (Nolan) were traded for each other?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why no sense for Cardinals?  They bring back Ozuna and now have a stud pitching prospect in their system. Martinez is an AL style player anyways

It could but the Cardinals were rumored to be interested in Arenado just recently and we know the Rockies will want pitching in return.  The Cardinals also have a top 3B prospect.  The Cardinals may be looking to top the Cubs for the division with the Cubs sitting on their hands.  With Liberatore and Gorman, they are looking like a perfect trade partner for the Rockies.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/01/10/mlb-rumors-cardinals-arenado-betts

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I agree with Harold’s Leg Lift:

Matt Liberatore, Zack Thompson, and Nolan Gorman for Nolan Arenado and cash.

I wonder how many times two 3B with the same first name (Nolan) were traded for each other?

The Cardinals aren't going to part with THAT much talent AND taking on a huge contract like that.   It's just not the way they've ever done business.

The only way is they do surrender the talent but get money/subsidy back from the Rockies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Quite a gamble with Arozarena being older than the competition at every level.  He repeated A, AA, AAA, and is turning 25 next month.

This looks like the Cardinals turning a whole lot of nothing into something of high value (Liberatore).

Martinez numbers vs lefties in his career are really elite too.

28 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Martinez numbers vs lefties in his career are really elite too.

But he’s bad in the outfield and his power numbers are weak for a 1B/DH.  The Cardinals were wise to deal him while teams still saw him as being valuable.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

32 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But he’s bad in the outfield and his power numbers are weak for a 1B/DH.  The Cardinals were wise to deal him while teams still saw him as being valuable.

I hear you, and I'm not a huge fan of Martinez but I think his elite platoon splits fit the Rays roster well and they probably really like alzaranezo however you spell.

I love prospect rankings but need to remind myself occasionally that public rankings are not the same and do not equal private internal rankings. I, for one, am much more interested in him now that he appeared to be a target of the rays. 

The whole a ball pitcher thing matters too.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m not buying in.  Didn’t hit until he repeated A, AA, and AAA when he was older than his competition and he’s turning 25 next month.

He was a really raw prospect though; that was the knock on him for his age. He really put it together last year - I am a believer. He's really talented, and he has great strike zone recognition.