Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

1 hour ago, tray said:

Yes, we think that ....but they haven't shown their hand yet. 

If they trade for Arenado this may all prove to be about positioning to win...at any cost, again.  

Ricketts has been spending like a drunken sailor since he purchased the franchise. They have all but gold plated the old confines into something that many older Cub fans no longer recognize. 

Lol...haven’t shown their hand yet?  It’s abundantly clear they can not add to their roster without clearing payroll first.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

He rejected their extension proposal and now they are in court for his service time manipulation.  I think the time for solving it all by throwing a lot of money at him has long since passed, in fact it may not ever have been much of a possibility.  Boras made it pretty well known that they were pretty pissed off that he was held down for the extra year.

Bryant is gonna be traded.

I've been saying this for years and I got tons of laughing emojis saying that he would stay if they offered the most money. I think he was mad enough that it wasnt a possibility unless they really overpaid. 

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I've been saying this for years and I got tons of laughing emojis saying that he would stay if they offered the most money. I think he was mad enough that it wasnt a possibility unless they really overpaid. 

Or, Bryant was simply going to free agency regardless.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2800289-kris-bryant-rumors-cubs-reported-200m-contract-offer-simply-not-true

“He added the Cubs have long expected Bryant to test free agency when eligible at the end of the 2021 season because of the influence from superagent Scott Boras.”

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

One less option for the Twins in case they miss out on Donaldson.

I know Frazier isn’t very good any more but man, this seems cheap for him...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1216452850844360705

”Source: Todd Frazier gets $5 million guaranteed from Rangers. He’ll get $3.5 million in 2020, with a $5.75 million club option for 2021 (or a $1.5 million buyout).”

I’m starting to think Puig is going to have to sign a crappy deal.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Looks like Alex Gordon will stay with the Royals...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1216461182191751175

Bullet dodged by the Sox three years ago...or was it four?   One of those blessings in disguise, although it would have been nice to have a defensive tutor/role model for Eloy.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Or, Bryant was simply going to free agency regardless.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2800289-kris-bryant-rumors-cubs-reported-200m-contract-offer-simply-not-true

“He added the Cubs have long expected Bryant to test free agency when eligible at the end of the 2021 season because of the influence from superagent Scott Boras.”

There was no doubt he was going to free agency because of Boras. However, read what I wrote. The Cubs will need to substantially bid over the next highest bid to retain his services, a hometown penalty if you will.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There was no doubt he was going to free agency because of Boras. However, read what I wrote. The Cubs will need to substantially bid over the next highest bid to retain his services, a hometown penalty if you will.

There may not be a way of knowing this.  Maybe the Cubs never are in the bidding when he hits free agency because they don’t want to spend that much money on one player.  Or maybe their final offer to Bryant never becomes public.

28 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There may not be a way of knowing this.  Maybe the Cubs never are in the bidding when he hits free agency because they don’t want to spend that much money on one player.  Or maybe their final offer to Bryant never becomes public.

All very true. However, I will wager there will be "leaks" about it.

19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...haven’t shown their hand yet?  It’s abundantly clear they can not add to their roster without clearing payroll first.

Oh, those poor Ricketts. The luxury tax is a good excuse for billionaire owners like the Ricketts to claim they have no more money to spend on player contracts  while, at the same time,  their net worth increases by  hundreds of  millions of dollars.  Ricketts built Disneyland on Clark St. on the backs of Ameritrade day trade gamblers and is now set up to make increasing profits off Cub fans, all the  while telling them he just can't spend any more on player contracts because of the rules.  The luxury tax is basically a  psuedo-salary cap that does not entirely preclude team owners from blowing past it and spending part of the profits they make off the fans from tickets, concessions and media.  But they won't. In baseball, as in the U.S. economy, trickle down economics isn't all that it was cracked up to be.

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Oh, those poor Ricketts. The luxury tax is a good excuse for billionaire owners like the Ricketts to claim they have no more money to spend on player contracts  while, at the same time,  their net worth increases by  hundreds of  millions of dollars.  Ricketts built Disneyland on Clark St. on the backs of Ameritrade day trade gamblers and is now set up to make increasing profits off Cub fans, all the  while telling them he just can't spend any more on player contracts because of the rules.  The luxury tax is basically a  psuedo-salary cap that does not entirely preclude team owners from blowing past it and spending part of the profits they make off the fans from tickets, concessions and media.  But they won't. In baseball, as in the U.S. economy, trickle down economics isn't all that it was cracked up to be.

Nobody here is sad for Ricketts.   

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, tray said:

Respectfully Kyyle, that wasn't my point.

I understand these are billionaires and they should be able to blow past theoretical luxury tax limits and such, but these are still businesses.  The Yankees had to swallow hard the last few years and make due with the high payroll, the Red Sox are trying to stay under the tax right now, and the cubs are doing the same thing.    I don't feel sorry for any of those teams because they are messes of their own making, but I understand why they don't want to go over the threshold and get penalized  

11 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Alex Wood back to the Dodgers for 1-year, $4 million.  The deal can reach $10 million if he hits all of the incentives.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1216524779559235585

Good deal for them. At that price I'd love to have had him in that swing role.

Edited by cjgalloway

3 hours ago, tray said:

This all may be true, but Theo has a budget that he can’t deviate from and he’s already capped out.  And honestly, fuck the Cubs so who cares if their owner pockets some profits.