Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Gotta try to grab this guy.  Young, potential back of the rotation lefty with good minor league numbers and plenty of service time left...

Padres designated LHP Nick Margevicius for assignment.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=195371

He throws at about 85-89 mph, but sure.   His control has to be perfect to succeed.  He did get pushed up super quickly.  Started out really well, then the scouts adjusted on how to approach him offensively.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

He throws at about 85-89 mph, but sure.   His control has to be perfect to succeed.  He did get pushed up super quickly.  Started out really well, then the scouts adjusted on how to approach him offensively.

I must’ve looked at an older scouting report.  He looks to have great control in the minors (very low walk rate) but I thought he was cracking into the low 90’s.  Pass.

1 hour ago, XplodingScorbord said:

Phegley was more than a farmhand, regrettably. 

Man, what a trade that turned out to be. Can't believe Marcus Semien put up 7.6 freaking fWAR last season... He also played 162 games this season and 159 the season before. Impressive stuff. Dude has made the absolute most out of his talent.

Edited by ron883

29 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Dozier had some astonishing HR numbers not too long ago, but overall his numbers aren't that good in recent years.  Add that to the fact that he hasn't played anywhere but 2B since his rookie year in 2012 and I find it difficult to see a fit.  Not sure I buy this rumor.

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

Dozier had some astonishing HR numbers not too long ago, but overall his numbers aren't that good in recent years.  Add that to the fact that he hasn't played anywhere but 2B since his rookie year in 2012 and I find it difficult to see a fit.  Not sure I buy this rumor.

Crushes LHP and would be the everyday 2B until Madrigal is ready, then move into a bench/PH role. Not sure I buy it either, given that guy's track record, but the fit makes sense to me 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Crushes LHP and would be the everyday 2B until Madrigal is ready, then move into a bench/PH role. Not sure I buy it either, given that guy's track record, but the fit makes sense to me 

His BA (I know its not the end all be all) the past two years concerns me in a PH role.  And his literal lack of innings on the left side of the infield questions his utility role.  If the FO sees a fit, cool, but seems like a odd fit to me. 

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Dozier makes some sense for the Sox, but I’m not sure the Sox make sense for Dozier. He has a solid track record, why would he want to go to a team where he would be a bench player after April? You’d think he’d want to start somewhere so he could try to cash in again next offseason.

Have you checked his stats since he was 30 ? Not impressive. There's not many if any teams he could start for now . Most of the FA's left are fighting for table scraps now,

I'm not buying the fit either, I'd rather have Brad Miller, Holt or Flores if they are going to still get an infielder.  Gennett too if his medicals check out. He put up a career year in 2018 then followed it up with a disaster of a 2019 mostly due to injury. But I'd also be fine with Mendick.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

If you are going to be a solid bench player you better be multi positional and hit righties good considering most pitchers are righties, Rather have a lefty who plays multiple positions like Holt or Gennett. If Madrigal struggles at all a LH PH and a guy who can sub  for long stretches is better.

Baseball is ideal for LHH , get as many as you can.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

I don't necessarily discount the fact they checked with his camp. There's a good chance they are trying to bring in a few guys on ST invites so they don't have to move anyone else off the 40-man. I don't see a fit unless they plan on keeping Madrigal down far longer than I imagined they would.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you are going to be a solid bench player you better be multi positional and hit righties good considering most pitchers are righties, Rather have a lefty who plays multiple positions like Holt or Gennett. If Madrigal struggles at all a LH PH and a guy who can sub  for long stretches is better.

Baseball is ideal for LHH , get as many as you can.

I prefer those guys too. I just don't think Dozier is that bad of an idea

3 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

His BA (I know its not the end all be all) the past two years concerns me in a PH role.  And his literal lack of innings on the left side of the infield questions his utility role.  If the FO sees a fit, cool, but seems like a odd fit to me. 

The PH role would be almost exclusively against LHP though. In 2019 he hit .280/.375/.525 against them and for his career he's at .270/.354/.500. The positional concerns are valid, and the reason why I'd prefer someone like Holt

49 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Between Dozier, Holt, Brad Miller, Gennett, or Yolmer, who would you guys want the most as the starting second baseman in the beginning of the season and utility guy after that?

1. Holt

2. Miller

3. Flores (adding him on my own)

4. Gennett

5. Dozier

6. Yolmer

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, fathom said:

I would put Flores in the top 3

Yea I mentioned Flores in the 1st of my 2 posts above,

Mine would be :

1, Holt

2. Gennett but only after extensive medical exams since I think his upside is the highest of everyone still available

3. Flores

4, Dozier

5. Yolmer

6. Kipnis