Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yolmer!

Your love of Yolmer is renown (😂😇), but I have seen enough of his bat to not want him pinch hitting in a big spot or pressed into service if a starter needs an IL stint.  Nor do I trust RR to not over play him as a back up. 

4 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Your love of Yolmer is renown (😂😇), but I have seen enough of his bat to not want him pinch hitting in a big spot or pressed into service if a starter needs an IL stint.  Nor do I trust RR to not over play him as a back up. 

We will have a big lead in a number of games with this offense.  Yolmer will have lots of opportunities to mop up and save the wear and tear on Moncada and Magic in addition to a very occasional start.  His hitting from both sides is also useful.   I like that he and Engle already know the WS so well...and will fit right in.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We will have a big lead in a number of games with this offense.  Yolmer will have lots of opportunities to mop up and save the wear and tear on Moncada and Magic in addition to a very occasional start.  His hitting from both sides is also useful.   I like that he and Engle already know the WS so well...and will fit right in.

The Sox aren’t pulling Moncada or Madrigal late in the game for a defensive replacement unless it’s an absolute blowout.  Also, his ability to switch hit is not valuable when he’s not good from either side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox aren’t pulling Moncada or Madrigal late in the game for a defensive replacement unless it’s an absolute blowout.

Especially because Moncada is a better defensive 3B than Sanchez and Madrigal is probably about the same at 2B

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox aren’t pulling Moncada or Madrigal late in the game for a defensive replacement unless it’s an absolute blowout.  Also, his ability to switch hit is not valuable when he’s not good from either side.

I said when we have a "big lead".  Most bench players are not great hitters and they sure don't usually catch the ball like Yolmer.  IMO a bench player has a first priority of do no harm.  For sure...Yolmer won't hurt us.

4 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Especially because Moncada is a better defensive 3B than Sanchez and Madrigal is probably about the same at 2B

I didn't imply that Yolmer was better defensively than Moncada or Madrigal.  I say he is an outstanding defensive player who can give a break to several everyday players.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we want a cheerleader to clean up for Yoyo, Timmy, and Magical, I'd rather bring in Zobrist. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

When you have to make up stuff to defend a player, you are defending the wrong player.  He’s bad.

Has there even been any interest in him by any teams?

I don't know...how much interest has there been in the other 4 guys you have mentioned.  It's getting late in the offseason for all of them.  These are filler pieces...no one is knocking down any of their doors.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Why?  He hit .260 with 1 HR in 150 ab's and would cost 2 or 3 times Yolmers anticipated 3 or 4 million.

Zobrist has been a much better hitter in his career than Yolmer.  You can argue he’s done in his old age but he likely won’t cost that much at all.

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Why?  He hit .260 with 1 HR in 150 ab's and would cost 2 or 3 times Yolmers anticipated 3 or 4 million.

Yeah his last year was weird and he probably still has some game left. Either way, he is better than Yolmer for this club as he can relief in the field as well if need be. I doubt he will cost more than 5 million at this point. It is a lot of coin, but would be worth it. 

28 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah his last year was weird and he probably still has some game left. Either way, he is better than Yolmer for this club as he can relief in the field as well if need be. I doubt he will cost more than 5 million at this point. It is a lot of coin, but would be worth it. 

Zobrist would be a better option than Yolmer because he could also play RF against lefties.