Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Why would they trade a young stud SP in Gallen for 2 years of Marte?

He doesn't really have prospect pedigree and only has 80 MLB innings. It's not like he's some untouchable piece. I just thought he was a reasonable comp for Cease given their age and time in the majors. Their xFIPs do not diverge that much, but Gallen out performed his peripherals and Cease under performed.

Reports are now that it's two prospects so my hypothetical is already out the window.

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

He doesn't really have prospect pedigree and only has 80 MLB innings. It's not like he's some untouchable piece. I just thought he was a reasonable comp for Cease given their age and time in the majors. Their xFIPs do not diverge that much, but Gallen out performed his peripherals and Cease under performed.

Reports are now that it's two prospects so my hypothetical is already out the window.

Gallen may have outperformed his peripherals but his batted ball stats are awesome. I feel like he has more trade value than Cease due in part to that. But I understand your point more now. 

43 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The Bills have made the playoffs twice in the last 3 years, so no, not quite.

D'oh! I don't watch football, so that shows. 

I guess I used the Bills because I've always heard them as being used as a punchline. That and the Jets.

8 minutes ago, bachy said:

D'oh! I don't watch football, so that shows. 

I guess I used the Bills because I've always heard them as being used as a punchline. That and the Jets.

The once hapless Bills are slowly improving but hoping Josh Allen improves his throwing. Biggest move was Tom Brady finally not throwing well. I am a fair-weather bills fan.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So something like Walker + Stiever would have at  least been in the ballpark? Maybe a bit low?

Seems like they were targeting guys with high upside. Thompson/Dalquist and Benyamin Bailey is probably a little closer, but still a much lower return than what they got. First round high school pitcher that touches 99 and and a SS that held his own in low A at 18.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How are these prospects ranked?  Just curious how this compares with Walker.

What an embarrassment the Pirates are in general. They should be forced to sell; running a 42 million dollar payroll yet they still benefit from revenue sharing. Comical.

A floor scares people, but there should be a revenue sharing floor - in order to qualify for RS, you need to spend a certain amount of money. This would prevent small teams like the Pirates from investing nothing and banking millions.

• Like 1

in another rumor - cubs in on Gennett. Seeing as it came out of nowhere, I'd guess theyre decently down the line in talks...

I realllllly hope that number isn't less than like $4-6mm. I think it would be a huge miss not to give him a shot to handle 2b, OF, 1B, DH, etc. etc. etc. around the diamond for that price. He's only a year removed from a combined 303/.351/.508 slash with fifty long balls over two years before that. He's a guy I've wanted the Sox to give a chance badly...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What an embarrassment the Pirates are in general. They should be forced to sell; running a 42 million dollar payroll yet they still benefit from revenue sharing. Comical.

A floor scares people, but there should be a revenue sharing floor - in order to qualify for RS, you need to spend a certain amount of money. This would prevent small teams like the Pirates from investing nothing and banking millions.

Yes, there should be a floor.  The NBA has one, but it is just a tad below the cap.  I think a floor in today's dollars of $75ish million would be appropriate.  This will be negotiated with next CBA.