Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Great, great job locking up Keuchel before Ryu picked.

I think Boras dis this on purpose. He couldn't have Ryu sign first because he and DK probably would have gotten less money. Once he knew for certainly we didn't want Ryu on those terms, he probably pushed for us to sign DK. Ryu being last man standing, now gets a 4th year. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Because that would mean he isn't good or healthy enough to pitch 160 innings in year 3. 

Eh, it could go either way.  What if he pitches 200 innings in year 2 of the contract and 159 in year 3 of the contract?  The option wouldn’t vest but I would hardly call that scenario a disaster.

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

Yeah, but that vest is extremely easy to hit. Basically he would need either a major injury or to bust out hard in the first 1.5 years of the deal, to the point where the Sox would rather bury or release him than let that 4th year kick in.

How to you figure that throwing 160 innings in 21 and 22 is a given? If he spends anytime whatsoever on the DL in those seasons, it would get close. He could easily make 25 or so starts in 2022 and still not hit it. The Sox control it, and honestly, they project to have plenty of other rotation options by 2022. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

If that option doesnt vest this contract is likely terrible and the argument is moot anyways.

Lol he could make 34 starts in 2020 and 2021 and then make 25 in 2022 and not hit 160 innings, and you’d call the contract terrible? 160 innings requires 27 starts of at least 6 innings....it’s not like that couldn’t be easily controlled in 2022 if the Sox don’t want 2023 vesting. 

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol he could make 34 starts in 2020 and 2021 and then make 25 in 2022 and not hit 160 innings, and you’d call the contract terrible? 160 innings requires 27 starts of at least 6 innings....it’s not like that couldn’t be easily controlled in 2022 if the Sox don’t want 2023 vesting. 

Think people think that's 160 innings combined over the final 2 years. Which it could be.

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Certainly not the way I read it, but if that is what it is, then yes that we may as well assume 4/$74.  

Second baseman Cesar Hernandez and the Cleveland Indians are in agreement on a one-year, $6.25 million contract, sources familiar with the agreement tell ESPN.

9 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I think Scooter Gennett could make a ton of sense for the Sox. Handles 2B for a month or two and then can shift into a utility role at 3B/2B/OF. 

If he was a righty bat, he would make more sense cuz he could platoon with Mazara in RF after playing 2B until Madrigal is ready.

I’d rather stick with Mendick and add a right-handed RF to platoon with Mazara, along with Encarnacion for DH.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If he was a righty bat, he would make more sense cuz he could platoon with Mazara in RF after playing 2B until Madrigal is ready.

I’d rather stick with Mendick and add a right-handed RF to platoon with Mazara, along with Encarnacion for DH.

Nothing wrong with depth.  Let Mendick be AAA insurance once Madrigal gets called up.

Sox gotta slap those big balls around and have Santa bring home Nick C for Xmas. Imagine the TV panning the Sox dugout and see those name veterans waiting to play. Nick would be in demand later if Jerry's kids can play. Twins have lost 14.3 WAR the Tribe is rebuilding and it's time to contend. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You know Mendick played a little OF in the minors . If he makes it to Spring training don't be surprised to see him play some games in the OF.

I believe Madrigal will be extended as I've said before.  Rick seems to be going for it in 2020.  Also, don't be surprised when Sanchez resigns for about $4 million.  Sanchez & Engel with their GG defense are ideal for backup roles.  They were overexposed starting all the time but have desirable skill sets in backup roles.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

I believe Madrigal will be extended as I've said before.  Rick seems to be going for it in 2020.  Also, don't be surprised when Sanchez resigns for about $4 million.  Sanchez & Engel with their GG defense are ideal for backup roles.  They were overexposed starting all the time but have desirable skill sets in backup roles.

Gosh I'd hate to have a bench of BOTH Engle and Yolmer. one im fine with

2 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Gosh I'd hate to have a bench of BOTH Engle and Yolmer. one im fine with

Yolmer, Engle & Garcia were overmatched as regulars with the WS.  I think it has earned them bad raps from some fans.  Late inning defensive replacement and pinch runners are role players needed on a good team.  Fabulous players aren't available to sit on the bench.  Players like the 3 mentioned are happy to be in the majors and their skills are less affected by long periods of non play.  I am open minded to anyone who would make the bench better... but I don't know who that would be.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1