Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Backup SS in case Timmy goes down

Iglesias is strictly an SS his whole career, not saying he could play 2B/3B but Yolmer has at least proven he could do that. Plus he’s a switch hitter, great locker room guy and knows the culture.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Really wanted Cabrera, especially at that price. I guess they wanted a familiar name and it’s Yolmer at Sox Fest then.

Still some options out there, but it just feels like Yolmer is gonna happen.  The worst part with Yolmer is he will steal way too much playing time from Madrigal because Ricky’s love for him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Still some options out there, but it just feels like Yolmer is gonna happen.  The worst part with Yolmer is he will steal way too much playing time from Madrigal because Ricky’s love for him.

That should be a fireable offense unless Yolmer is having some sort of break out year.

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

That should be a fireable offense unless Yolmer is having some sort of break out year.

Yea I don't really see any way that happens.  If they wanted to bring him back they probably already would have agreed on a deal outside arb, maybe something like 1 year 4 million with a team option or small buyout (1 mm).

Chances are Yolmer thought he could do better playing time wise and so decided to try his luck as a FA or camp invite at worst case.

I think that signals the Sox and Yolmer have moved on from each other.  MAYBE he comes back on a minor league invite but imo he's too good not to sign a small MLB contract sometime in February or early March on a team that is looking for a potential flip candidate or just needs some IF depth after the inevitable injuries of the first week of ST.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You might be right, but I’m willing to give RR the benefit of the doubt until he pulls that crap when we are in a contending year. Same with refusing to move Abreu out of the 3 hole. Those type of things were annoying, but they didn’t really matter much in a rebuilding year. I’d like to think he will choose winning over loyalty at this point. 

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea I don't really see any way that happens.  If they wanted to bring him back they probably already would have agreed on a deal outside arb, maybe something like 1 year 4 million with a team option or small buyout (1 mm).

Chances are Yolmer thought he could do better playing time wise and so decided to try his luck as a FA or camp invite at worst case.

I think that signals the Sox and Yolmer have moved on from each other.  MAYBE he comes back on a minor league invite but imo he's too good not to sign a small MLB contract sometime in February or early March on a team that is looking for a potential flip candidate or just needs some IF depth after the inevitable injuries of the first week of ST.

Not that I want Yolmer back, but the door is still open if Sox haven’t brought another bench bat and Yolmer is still unsigned.

8 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Not that I want Yolmer back, but the door is still open if Sox haven’t brought another bench bat and Yolmer is still unsigned.

If he wants to come back for 3-4 million and accepts a bench role where he's looking at playing once a week fine.  He's a useful bench utility IF but I have a feeling he wants a shot at more playing time.  He's kinda at a crossroads for his career.  He can hang on in MLB as a bench bat probably for a few more years but he won't make much money and will probably have to go to Japan in his 30s.  

So he might be thinking this is is one final chance to try and secure a starting gig and a long term deal.  He's made like 9 million before taxes already so he's not destitute by any means but a 3 year 40 million dollar deal would ensure generational wealth for his family and most big leaguers from means such as his are seeking that security and status and I don't begrudge them one bit.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

41 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If he wants to come back for 3-4 million and accepts a bench role where he's looking at playing once a week fine.  He's a useful bench utility IF but I have a feeling he wants a shot at more playing time.  He's kinda at a crossroads for his career.  He can hang on in MLB as a bench bat probably for a few more years but he won't make much money and will probably have to go to Japan in his 30s.  

So he might be thinking this is is one final chance to try and secure a starting gig and a long term deal.  He's made like 9 million before taxes already so he's not destitute by any means but a 3 year 40 million dollar deal would ensure generational wealth for his family and most big leaguers from means such as his are seeking that security and status and I don't begrudge them one bit.

You lost me right here, in what world would he get that deal even in a starting role?

Also, looking around the league, what team would possibly give him a starting gig? Keep in mind the likes of Gennett, Kipnis, Dozier are still on the market. At least with Sox he know he could start for the first month or so. At this point he knows he’s getting a backup or at best a super sub role, he just needs to come down on the asking price.

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

You lost me right here, in what world would he get that deal even in a starting role?

Also, looking around the league, what team would possibly give him a starting gig? Keep in mind the likes of Gennett, Kipnis, Dozier are still on the market. At least with Sox he know he could start for the first month or so. At this point he knows he’s getting a backup or at best a super sub role, he just needs to come down on the asking price.

Should have clarified: he has one last chance to prove he's a starting caliber talent this year and get a long term contract.  It's fairly unlikely even with playing time, but there's a small chance he hits something like 275/330/425, puts up about 3 fWAR, and gets a long term deal.    But if he is a backup on a stacked team (like Chicago, lol, what is life) he won't ever get that small chance.

Honestly don't think he has that in him, but with enough of the right vitamins this offseason he might.  One of my theories (and it's a theory only) is that he was off the juice last year.

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Should have clarified: he has one last chance to prove he's a starting caliber talent this year and get a long term contract.  It's fairly unlikely even with playing time, but there's a small chance he hits something like 275/330/425, puts up about 3 fWAR, and gets a long term deal.    But if he is a backup on a stacked team (like Chicago, lol, what is life) he won't ever get that small chance.

Honestly don't think he has that in him, but with enough of the right vitamins this offseason he might.  One of my theories (and it's a theory only) is that he was off the juice last year.

Ok that makes more sense. But even with a breakout year he’s not getting type of money. A bigger and longer term contract than his 2020 deal, sure, but he needs to string together at least 2 strong offensive years to really get paid, which is unlikely.

Like I said, looking around the league I don’t think he will get a starting gig anywhere and Sox might be the best situation in terms of playing time - Madrigal will spend some time in the minors, Anderson has missed time each year, and, as CWS said, Ricky likes him enough that he will find his way into the lineup more often than under a new manager.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No one is offering Yolmer Sanchez 3/$40.  Gold Glove or not.  Thats an absurd number for even a great defender - that has failed to hit with any constancy in the bigs over a large sample size.  It is January and Yolmer Sanchez remains unemployed.  I doubt anyone is even offering 1/$5M at this point.  If he wants to continue his career he best recognize that an everyday starting gig in MLB is probably not in his future.  

Edited by SouthWallace

5 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

No one is offering Yolmer Sanchez 3/$40.  Gold Glove or not.  Thats an absurd number for even a great defender - that has failed to hit with any constancy in the bigs over a large sample size.  It is January and Yolmer Sanchez remains unemployed.  I doubt anyone is even offering 1/$5M at this point.  If he wants to continue his career he best recognize that an everyday starting gig in MLB is probably not in his future.  

again I was basing that on a hypothetical mid career break out as a starter this year.  I've always liked Yolmer probably just wishful thinking he'd get a deal like that even after a 3 WAR season.

5 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yoenis Cespedes wasn’t apparently telling the entire truth about how he got injured on his ranch.  The reason he fell in the hole and hurt his ankle is because he was attacked by a released wild boar.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2020/1/3/21048985/new-york-mets-news-yoenis-cespedes-injury-ankle-boar-30-50-feral-hogs

Why would you be anywhere near a boar without a .45 in your hand is the real question. He's obviously  not a seasoned rancher. He deserves to have the deduction in his pay.

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

You might be right, but I’m willing to give RR the benefit of the doubt until he pulls that crap when we are in a contending year. Same with refusing to move Abreu out of the 3 hole. Those type of things were annoying, but they didn’t really matter much in a rebuilding year. I’d like to think he will choose winning over loyalty at this point. 

I hope you're right, but RR also took about 100 PAs (combined) away from Anderson and Eloy by burying them down in the lineup during a non-competitive year so that Ryan Goins, AJ Reed, etc. could get more opportunities. One could argue that those ~100 PAs don't matter, but I think it's a no-brainer that our young core should get as many reps as possible in a rebuilding year.

I'm not saying that such a decision means he will continue to make illogical moves, but if he made anti-developmental moves during a non-contending year, I don't necessarily feel good about him making winning moves during contending years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Is this a joke?  Yolmer isn’t going to sniff that kind of money.

3 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

I really hope you’re right, but I’m just not optimistic that Ricky is going to change his ways at the moment.