Yolmer non-tendered

Princess Dye

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Technically this isn't being non-tendered, he is being played on out-right waivers.  Basically means no one offered anything for him.  

Getting waived instead of non-tendered feels like there's some urgency to get him off the roster, no?

This must be roster space motivated, otherwise I am struggling to figure out what the benefit to outrighting him today is.  Non-tender deadline is still a week from today, so unless the Sox think they need the roster spot like....today...not sure why you make this move today.  Obviously they know at this point Yolmer didn't have any trade value, but still seems like interesting timing.  Maybe a favor to Yolmer?  This way if a team claims him, they owe him his final year of arb as opposed to being a FA and likely getting like half his projected arb?

Just brainstorming on what the reasoning for making this move today might be.   

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

This must be roster space motivated, otherwise I am struggling to figure out what the benefit to outrighting him today is.  Non-tender deadline is still a week from today, so unless the Sox think they need the roster spot like....today...not sure why you make this move today.  Obviously they know at this point Yolmer didn't have any trade value, but still seems like interesting timing.  Maybe a favor to Yolmer?  This way if a team claims him, they owe him his final year of arb as opposed to being a FA and likely getting like half his projected arb?

Just brainstorming on what the reasoning for making this move today might be.   

Maybe it’s because the Sox have an agreement in place with Wheeler and they needed a roster spot. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

For 2/$6M I'd bring him back. 

He's on outright waivers, so he'd technically have to clear those before the Sox could offer him a deal.  I think this means Yolmer is as good as gone. If there was mutual interest in a deal like that, this move wouldn't be necessary.