Burr DFA'd

Sockin

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'm starting to think the Sox media team is just asleep at the wheel on these announcements, and there's not some designed plan they are executing regarding them.

Ehhh...I would think with the Burr move a national writer would have announced it but not if it had actually happened already.  To my knowledge, that has not occurred yet. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I mean - why DFA a guy without a corresponding move, and then also not announce it?  Screams to me like they've just informed Burr they're going to DFA him, that info got out, and the actual transaction in which the Burr DFA is the corresponding move has not actually occurred yet.  Don't really see any other scenario that makes sense.  

I still believe something is close to happening and plan to announce both sides of the transaction simultaneously. That being said, it’s looking less & less likely it will before Thanksgiving.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes. It should just be RBI. 

DFA and RBI have become their own words, where you read them as letters, but together the letters make a single “word”.

If you think RBI should never have an “s” after it, then you are always reading it as “runs batted in” instead of “ARE-BE-EYE”. And if that’s the case, then when it’s singular, you would say “he got a RBI” instead of “he got an RBI”, and that would be ridiculous. 

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

DFA and RBI have become their own words, where you read them as letters, but together the letters make a single “word”.

If you think RBI should never have an “s” after it, then you are always reading it as “runs batted in” instead of “ARE-BE-EYE”. And if that’s the case, then when it’s singular, you would say “he got a RBI” instead of “he got an RBI”, and that would be ridiculous. 

It's still "an RBI"  because the letter is R which which is phonetically pronounced "AR". Which begins with a vowel and uses the prefix an. 

An X(ex)

An M (em) 

An F (ef) 

An R (ar) 

are all proper

I'm not the fuhrer of the grammar nazis, but I'm pretty high up in the ranks lol. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's still "an RBI"  because the letter is R which which is phonetically pronounced "AR". Which begins with a vowel and uses the prefix an. 

An X(ex)

An M (em) 

An F (ef) 

An R (ar) 

are all proper

I'm not the fuhrer of the grammar nazis, but I'm pretty high up in the ranks lol. 

That’s exactly my point. If you are reading it as “R” instead of “runs”, then it is fine to put an “s” at the end of RBI. 

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

That’s exactly my point. If you are reading it as “R” instead of “runs”, then it is fine to put an “s” at the end of RBI. 

DFA is always DFA because it's either Designate For Assignment or Designated for Assignment

RBI is always RBI because it's either Run Batted In or Runs Batted in

The acronym has the pluralization/tense built in. 

Laser is an example of an acronym that has become a word in and of itself, but I wouldn't go that far with this example. 

Adding an S to RBI and an ed to DFA is redundant and unnecessary. 

fight me. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Laser becomes lasers because the all of the words in the acronym are singular. 

DFA is always DFA because it's either Designate For Assignment or Designated for Assignment

RBI is always RBI because it's either Run Batted In or Runs Batted in

The acronym has the pluralization/tense built in. 

You don’t have to explain the reasoning. I totally get what you are saying. I’m just saying that over the years, RBI has become its own “word” instead of a collection of letters. Even though we still read it as a collection of letters, it has become a single word. Same with ATM. We don’t say “Hey look, this place has three ATM over there.”

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You don’t have to explain the reasoning. I totally get what you are saying. I’m just saying that over the years, RBI has become its own “word” instead of a collection of letters. Even though we still read it as a collection of letters, it has become a single word. Same with ATM. We don’t say “Hey look, this place has three ATM over there.”

That is different because ATM is automatic teller machine and if you add an S to the end it actually does pluralize it. 

ATMs is ok because the last word is the word that gets pluralized. Machine is the main noun. 

The difference between RBI, DFA and ATM is that the first letter is the pluralized or tensed form. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 11/26/2019 at 4:01 PM, bmags said:

Initially I was surprised, but going through our 40 man I guess he probably was the cut-off guy. I mean I probably would have chosen foster but I'm assuming he has shown something recently.

I get that he's recovering from TJS, but Burr was decent in a limited sample in MLB this year and killed it in the minors. I don't get why Dylan Covey wasn't the cut-off guy, honestly. Does he really need a 4th chance to *not* be one of the worst per-inning pitchers in the league?

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I get that he's recovering from TJS, but Burr was decent in a limited sample in MLB this year and killed it in the minors. I don't get why Dylan Covey wasn't the cut-off guy, honestly. Does he really need a 4th chance to *not* be one of the worst per-inning pitchers in the league?

He is going to miss the entire season. No team will claim him anyway.