Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

2 minutes ago, kwill said:

Can anybody clarify. Are we at 38 or 39 on the 40 Man Roster. It should be 38 with Burr and Yolmer gone, correct? If so, Why open up two spots for 1 signing? 

Once both of these are done it will be at 38. That would give them the ability to either sign/trade for 2 players or to sign 1 player and then have a slot available to use during the rule 5 draft.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Once both of these are done it will be at 38. That would give them the ability to either sign/trade for 2 players or to sign 1 player and then have a slot available to use during the rule 5 draft.

Thank you for the clarification. 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Has anyone been watching a Twins message board, to see if there are any rumors regarding Wheeler being headed there? If there aren't any comparable rumblings, over there, that would be encouraging.

Franchises should not want to be leaking like this.

• Haha 1

Has anyone been watching a Twins message board, to see if there are any rumors regarding Wheeler being headed there? If there aren't any comparable rumblings, over there, that would be encouraging.

too much work.. I prefer to think that no one is interested in anyone but the White Sox.

That sounds like behavior an Astros fan might engage in, Lillian.  I am against such shenanigans.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

I wouldn't be a fan of signing anyone either if I signed Denny Neagle and Mike Hampton to long term deals...

So he is speaking from experience.  His logic is  Cole and Strasburg price tags are inflating his, and signing him at that level is very risky.

Myself, he has put up 4÷ WAR seasons the last 2 years. The only worry I would have is health.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I just looked on their reddit.  Some reporter said "Twins were prepared to make a deal yesterday".  But allegedly didn't know if a deal was offered or not on his Twitter.  Darren Wolfson.

That's pretty much it aside from the Heyman Tweet.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So he is speaking from experience.  His logic is  Cole and Strasburg price tags are inflating his, and signing him at that level is very risky.

Myself, he has put up 4÷ WAR seasons the last 2 years. The only worry I would have is health.

No doubt it has inflated his price tag. Signing any pitcher to a large, 5 year deal is risky. But it has to be done. On the plus side, his peripherals are very good and bodes well for success. I agree, I would worry about his health. Hopefully post this offseason, the White Sox will potentially be 7 deep where starting pitching is concerned. 

I also hope there is a little front loading going on the first 2-3  years of the deal. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer