Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will never understand the allure of being a fake baseball insider.

Yup, that's some insane narcissistic shit and it's amazing how many of them there are... it serves no purpose most of the time since it's mostly all fake accounts that just die out instantly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Agree, that  to me is a serious over-pay.  But he is only 30, healthy and always gives a team 30+ starts.  It may be that the pitching pricing is really high this year. Angels must be banking on a rejuvenation away from Fenway. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

He also seemed to try to catch on to the high four seamer revolution last year, may have backfired on him. I figured coop would let him be a sinker pitcher and we’d squeeze a 4.2-4.5 era pitcher out of him again.

You guys realize this is a fake tweet and Porcello didn't actually sign for 2/30, right?

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

You guys realize this is a fake tweet and Porcello didn't actually sign for 2/30, right?

Porcello is not getting $30 million coming off a rough season. He’s getting a one year prove it deal and hopes to hit the market again next year.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yes. I’m surprised that a fake tweet put him at that number.

The fake insiders keep coming out earlier and earlier ACH offseason it seems. Last year was especially brutal with the Harper and Machado rumor mill. 

Ever since Katy Perry’s bottle hole and wetbutt were actually right it has seemed to give credibility to any keyboard warrior. Unless it comes from a Passan, Morosi, Rosenthal, etc. it’s 99.99% BS.

Regarding a possible signing of Wheeler or any other pitcher for huge money, just look at what the RedSox/Dombo did by signing Price, Sale and Eovaldi.

Now they are in a no-win situation stuck with huge contracts for under-performing  pitchers with questionable durability. 

Zack Wheeler reminds me  of Eovaldi ...a ticking time bomb set to explode into another TJ surgery at any time.

Maybe consider spending money on a RF like Castellanos and sign some lower tier pitchers to mitigate the risk.

1 minute ago, tray said:

Regarding a possible signing of Wheeler or any other pitcher for huge money, just look at what the RedSox/Dombo did by signing Price, Sale and Eovaldi.

Now they are in a no-win situation stuck with huge contracts for under-performing  pitchers with questionable durability. 

Zack Wheeler reminds me  of Eovaldi ...a ticking time bomb set to explode into another TJ surgery at any time.

Maybe consider spending money on a RF like Castellanos and sign some lower tier pitchers to mitigate the risk.

I know, winning that World Series was TERRIBLE for them!

• Like 2

IThe Red Sox won by loading up the payroll but that is not a strategy that I think makes sense for the WS and I doubt JR would replicate that.

Great that the BoSox won with Sale and Eovaldi  but they are now screwed for a while. Look at the contracts they signed to get there:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/boston-red-sox-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

I am saying, spend money. Not on bums just to spend money like last season, but to target actual guys that make this team better. Grandal was a good start, but the longer the Sox are linked to players in the media, the odds of them signing here, become remote. The Sox have holes with atleast 1 if not 2 SPs, RF, DH, and a bullpen guy.

50 minutes ago, tray said:

You realize Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Rodon, Lambert and Dunning have already had TJ surgery?

The average amount of time before a second is 4.5 years, historically.

There’s no exact science.  Strasburg is 8 years out on his, but his workload in 2018 constitutes a massive red flag...especially when compared to average IP numbers throughout his career.  Plus, in general, getting to consecutive postseasons like the Astros and Dodgers have...well, just look at Kershaw now.  Cole carries a similar type of risk.

Wheeler has considerably less high stress wear and tear on his arm than either of Cole and Strasburg.

Even if you play in the third tier with guys like Ivan Nova or Kyle Gibson, you’re still paying $10 million or more per year.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Two questions for you:

1. Why do you feel like Wheeler is a ticking time bomb for another TJ?

2. Do you feel like Kopech and Cease are likely do have another TJ?

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer