Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 hour ago, tray said:

Regarding a possible signing of Wheeler or any other pitcher for huge money, just look at what the RedSox/Dombo did by signing Price, Sale and Eovaldi.

Now they are in a no-win situation stuck with huge contracts for under-performing  pitchers with questionable durability. 

Zack Wheeler reminds me  of Eovaldi ...a ticking time bomb set to explode into another TJ surgery at any time.

Maybe consider spending money on a RF like Castellanos and sign some lower tier pitchers to mitigate the risk.

How are Wheeler and Eovaldi even remotely similar? Eovaldi has never been as good of a pitcher as Wheeler is.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Regarding a possible signing of Wheeler or any other pitcher for huge money, just look at what the RedSox/Dombo did by signing Price, Sale and Eovaldi.

Now they are in a no-win situation stuck with huge contracts for under-performing  pitchers with questionable durability. 

Zack Wheeler reminds me  of Eovaldi ...a ticking time bomb set to explode into another TJ surgery at any time.

Maybe consider spending money on a RF like Castellanos and sign some lower tier pitchers to mitigate the risk.

well they won a World Series.......  So I'll take what the Red Sox did 10/10

• Like 1

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/csn/giants/Why_Zack_Wheeler_could_be_perfect_fit_for_Giants_in_MLB_free_agency_BAY.html

Same exact arguments here for SFG as the White a Sox as a potential Wheeler landing spot.  Still think the final dollars will be closer to $115 million than low $70’s at this point, though.

Edited by caulfield12

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/csn/giants/Why_Zack_Wheeler_could_be_perfect_fit_for_Giants_in_MLB_free_agency_BAY.html

Same exact arguments here for SFG as the White a Sox as a potential Wheeler landing spot.  Still think the final dollars will be closer to $115 million than low $70’s at this point, though.

4/74 will only happen if he has a bad medical report circulating. He is getting 95-105 easily and potentially more as you said. SFG make no sense though since they really are not trending upward at all.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Dlsoxfan said:

At this point I just want the money to be spent. Hopefully on Wheeler. Let's focus on bringing in another fish. Watch this board explode if/when it happens.

Shits gonna hit the fan like it’s 2004.

I think Wheeler is definitely a risky gamble. His Tommy John kept him out quite a bit longer than most Tommy John's seem to keep guys out. But he's had 2 great seasons since then.

Honestly though, I think Cole at 250 mil is probably a lesser risk than Wheeler at 110. I just don't think Cole is gettable, since the Angels would likely match an offer around 250, and he'd likely choose going home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2019 at 3:47 PM, aeichhor said:

But that's my point of them not acknowledging that yolmer is gone. It's weird that they seem to be keeping it in along with burr if he's gone. 

But they're separate situations. Sox officially executed the Yolmer non-tender without acknowledgement. The Sox have not officially executed the Burr DFA nor have they publicly acknowledged. 

Almost starting to feel sorry for the Cubs...almost...when their FA search list looks like the White Sox of the past decade.

https://theathletic.com/1416182/2019/11/29/trust-the-process-how-the-cubs-can-land-a-starter-and-reshape-their-rotation/?source=weeklyemail

But look at the rest of the free-agent list and notice former American League Cy Young Award winners like Dallas Keuchel and Rick Porcello and 2008 World Series MVP Cole Hamels. Rich Hill, Michael Wacha, Gio González, Wade Miley and Tanner Roark have started multiple playoff games. Some team will look beyond Michael Pineda’s PED suspension and Tommy John history and bet on his top-prospect pedigree and relatively low total of big-league innings (826).

Julio Teheran (77-73, 3.67 ERA) was once a young Braves pitcher the Cubs evaluated as a trade target while trying to sort through their inventory of young hitters, and he still won’t turn 30 until 2021. Another ex-Brave — Alex Wood (53-43, 3.40 ERA) — is coming off an injury-plagued season with the Cincinnati Reds and will be only 29 next year.

The Cubs previously tried to trade for Collin McHugh, who also had a rough season heading into free agency. With the Houston Astros, McHugh won 19 games as a starter in 2015, earned a World Series ring in 2017 and posted a 1.99 ERA — with 94 strikeouts in 72.1 innings — across 58 appearances as a reliever in 2018.

14 minutes ago, Jnooch said:

I think Wheeler is the main target but I'm Leary of 5yr/100 mil......how about 4 yrs 88 mill with a player opt out after 3 years???

Sure. That sounds better. But, really, we just need to pay him what it takes to sign him. 

21 hours ago, Cashman said:

I am saying, spend money. Not on bums just to spend money like last season, but to target actual guys that make this team better. Grandal was a good start, but the longer the Sox are linked to players in the media, the odds of them signing here, become remote. The Sox have holes with atleast 1 if not 2 SPs, RF, DH, and a bullpen guy.

Some here, maybe a majority, or 50/50 probably think the Sox won't spend on a DH. when pitching will be the next big expenditure and with Grandal, ABreu, McCann and Collins plus anyone else when backups get starts in the field.

29 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Where does everyone guess he lands? 

I think we are offering something like $90M/$95M with our dumb incentives that push it over $100M. I think Wheeler wants at least $100M guaranteed. Hopefully we learned from the Machado debacle and eventually cave and give him 5 years $105M. I’m also hoping no other team is near $100M right now, but I don’t want to wait around much longer. In the end, I think we get it done. 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think we are offering something like $90M/$95M with our dumb incentives that push it over $100M. I think Wheeler wants at least $100M guaranteed. Hopefully we learned from the Machado debacle and eventually cave and give him 5 years $105M. I’m also hoping no other team is near $100M right now, but I don’t want to wait around much longer. In the end, I think we get it done. 

The incentives in Grandal’s contract are minimal, so I wouldn’t expect them to be a big part of Wheeler’s contract.

As for Machado, I honestly believe the Sox simply got outplayed by the Padres. They thought they were in the lead the whole time and weren’t willing to negotiate against themselves.  I think they were truly surprised the Padres came in at the end and offered $300M.  Hopefully they learned that slow-playing stars is a dangerous game and that if you really want a guy more often than not you are better being aggressive.  To me, Grandal is somewhat proof of that, although admittedly the catching market was pretty light and was likely to move fast.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The incentives in Grandal’s contract are minimal, so I wouldn’t expect them to be a big part of Wheeler’s contract.

As for Machado, I honestly believe the Sox simply got outplayed by the Padres. They thought they were in the lead the whole time and weren’t willing to negotiate against themselves.  I think they were truly surprised the Padres came in at the end and offered $300M.  Hopefully they learned that slow-playing stars is a dangerous game and that if you really want a guy more often than not you are better being aggressive.  To me, Grandal is somewhat proof of that, although admittedly the catching market was pretty light and was likely to move fast.

I completely agree on Machado. I’ve been saying that since he signed with San Diego. It was more that we got blindsided as opposed to truly believing our offer was better. 

As for the incentives, I’m guessing they want more incentives for Wheeler than they did for Grandal...just because he’s a pitcher with an injury history and we’re reluctant to go big on pitchers in the first place. I’m guessing we want some innings incentives, but I could be totally wrong. 

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer