Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

10 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Well that's odd. He was pretty clear he wanted to go to a contender. I honestly want nothing to do with the guy either. His arm is going to fall off at some point.

As much as I want Wheeler I do think the Sox (in addition) could greatly benefit from a sage vet since this will be a super young staff

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I dont care what his WAR is, I'd never pay for a pitcher like Marco Gonzales.

Agree. Low K, high walk, manages an under four year.

That he did it in front of an atrocious infield was kind of impressive though.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yes. Thats a lot of money in avg production.

If I told you before the off season started that the Sox would get grandal, castellanos, and hamels plus a few lesser free agents, I can’t imagine you’d be upset by that. That’s a damn good off season id say. 

I will say the Sox should absolutely go after ryu before hamels though. I don’t see ryu getting anything too crazy 

Edited by MyNamesRod

Just now, MyNamesRod said:

If I told you before the off season started that the Sox would get grandal, castellanos, and hamels plus a few lesser free agents, I can’t imagine you’d be upset by that. That’s a damn good off season id say 

I would have absolutely said that’s a trash offseason.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Trade market will ugly though and don’t think we have the chips for a true impact starter.  If we miss on Wheeler, I feel like Ryu is the next best alternative.

If we miss on Wheeler we could shoot for the first tier guys.🙂

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Trade market will ugly though and don’t think we have the chips for a true impact starter.  If we miss on Wheeler, I feel like Ryu is the next best alternative.

Yes. I’d probably prefer Hahn move to ryu and go after betances is I constrict myself to white Sox thinking.

Id personally prefer they use their budget flexibility and add an absolute fixture like Cole or Rendon.

1 minute ago, MyNamesRod said:

That’s absurd. How is getting a top 3 catcher, a solid right fielder (that’s only been getting better), and a solid 3/4 starter a trash off season? Your expectations are wayyyy too high. 

On a whole it's good additions. But it falls way short for starting pitching and keeps the Sox from being contenders as a result.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hahn has said 2 starters.

He has said that and Hamels is the best guy who may be willing to take a one year deal.  I had him in my offseason plan in addition to Wheeler at 1/$17.5M.  If this doesn’t prevent them from adding one of the big four starters (which it shouldn’t), then I think it would be fantastic to add some stability to the rotation before the Winter Meetings.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Agree. Low K, high walk, manages an under four year.

That he did it in front of an atrocious infield was kind of impressive though.

Not a huge Gonzales fan but he isn't a high walk rate pitcher, in fact he's one of the best pitchers at avoiding walks. That said, I'm sure the Mariners are asking for something we'd be unable to pay. Wheeler + Hamels would be great.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer