Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

21 minutes ago, mqr said:

I don’t think it’s an accident Jerry is pushing to spend

I don't know if it's Jerry pushing to spend or it's been the plan all along once they thought the rebuild had run it's course. It's just really bad timing that it coincided with the upcoming spending frenzy this off season. That's why it's so White Sox. Only reason why guys are signing early is there are just better offers so far this early in the off season. Agents and players have a number in their heads and those numbers are being met. No sense waiting around when you are getting the offers you wanted.

Wheeler might be different. They might be getting better than anticipated offers and might wait to see just how high they go. i might just go after Ryu instead at this point . Once Wheeler signs Ryu is the next feeding frenzy.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know if it's Jerry pushing to spend or it's been the plan all along once they thought the rebuild had run it's course. It's just really bad timing that it coincided with the upcoming spending frenzy this off season. That's why it's so White Sox. Only reason why guys are signing early is there are just better offers so far this early in the off season. Agents and players have a number in their heads and those numbers are being met. No sense waiting around when you are getting the offers you wanted.

Wheeler might be different. They might be getting better than anticipated offers and might wait to see just how high they go. i might just go after Ryu instead at this point . Once Wheeler signs Ryu is the next feeding frenzy.

Ryu fits our situation very well IMO.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well, that's going to be where there's a pretty significant debate between him, Bumgarner, Hamels and Keuchel for the "win now" teams that need the very best performance over the remainder of their careers to come in 2020.

There are so many red flags on Ryu's health that Bumgarner's durability might win out, especially for NL teams.

Ryu will be much more attractive to teams willing to overpay for just one season...like the Donaldson deal with the Braves last year.

• Like 1

I'll be impressed if the Sox manage to land Wheeler. It feels like 1/3 of baseball is after him hard. I won't blame the Sox if they lose out on this one. It is not the same as the Machado fiasco from last year. That said, they need to have plans B, C & D lined up for if/when Zack signs with another team.

I am starting to believe that if Wheeler wanted to come to the White Sox he would have signed already.  Sox probably have already put their best offer on the table and it was not enough for Wheeler to sign immediately.  There was too much smoke on this the last two weeks for something not to be serious...........Trying to stay optimistic......

8 minutes ago, sox71 said:

I am starting to believe that if Wheeler wanted to come to the White Sox he would have signed already.  Sox probably have already put their best offer on the table and it was not enough for Wheeler to sign immediately.  There was too much smoke on this the last two weeks for something not to be serious...........Trying to stay optimistic......

Teams look in on lots of players just to be sure they have done due diligence.  There are limited teams going to spend 100+ million on Wheeler.  Players need to be careful not to overplay their hands just like owners shouldn't lowball.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, that's going to be where there's a pretty significant debate between him, Bumgarner, Hamels and Keuchel for the "win now" teams that need the very best performance over the remainder of their careers to come in 2020.

There are so many red flags on Ryu's health that Bumgarner's durability might win out, especially for NL teams.

Ryu will be much more attractive to teams willing to overpay for just one season...like the Donaldson deal with the Braves last year.

Ryu will sign for longer than a year. He's seeking 3 or 4 years and Boras is his agent claiming that his arm age is 26 or 27.Twins are already talking to Boras abut him. He came in second in NL Cy Young voting. He had a great ERA, FIP and WHIP and was in the top 1 percent of the league with a BB% of 3.3 .

53 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ryu will sign for longer than a year. He's seeking 3 or 4 years and Boras is his agent claiming that his arm age is 26 or 27.Twins are already talking to Boras abut him. He came in second in NL Cy Young voting. He had a great ERA, FIP and WHIP and was in the top 1 percent of the league with a BB% of 3.3 .

Didn’t realize how good he was last year.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/hyun-jin-ryu-three-four-year-contract-free-agency.html

He has Boras, his age and injury history going against another otherworldly performance his last 265 IP.

Looking for four years, likely will get three...has stated he would like to play with his countryman on the Rangers.    Could be anywhere from 3/$54 to 4/$80 million the way this market is developing.

Ryu and Keuchel/Hamels vs. 1 Wheeler in terms of total contract value at least is an interesting argument.   The problem is that most teams in baseball have at least some interest in those Top 7 pitchers (including Keuchel and Hamels.) 

Getting two seems like a big stretch, especially with Boras involved and drawing out negotiations as long as feasible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sox71 said:

I am starting to believe that if Wheeler wanted to come to the White Sox he would have signed already.  Sox probably have already put their best offer on the table and it was not enough for Wheeler to sign immediately.  There was too much smoke on this the last two weeks for something not to be serious...........Trying to stay optimistic......

Based on what? It's not crazy for the third best SP option to be on the market early Decemeber lol this board sometimes.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Based on what? It's not crazy for the third best SP option to be on the market early Decemeber lol this board sometimes.

Supposedly he has a big market. You would have to figure its going to take some time to sort through the offers and pick where he wants to be.

One thing to keep in mind though, when the White Sox spend big money, and it's now only happened 3 times, it happened fast. Belle, Abreu, and Grandal. So the longer it does drag out, you would have to think the worse the Sox chances of converting. But right now it's still early.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Fair criticism and I was not trying to portray this as an overreaction, but just knowing how the Sox work, compared to the Grandal signing, these negotiations have been much more public and I do not think Hahn is going to let himself personally or the organization being viewed as waiting at the altar based on last offseason. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Supposedly he has a big market. You would have to figure its going to take some time to sort through the offers and pick where he wants to be.

One thing to keep in mind though, when the White Sox spend big money, and it's now only happened 3 times, it happened fast. Belle, Abreu, and Grandal. So the longer it does drag out, you would have to think the worse the Sox chances of converting. 

Well said, totally agree and you conceptualized my point better that me so thank you.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I got the Athletic subscription for 75 percent off for the year on Cyber Monday. This was definitely money well spent as they do a great job. Ken thinks Wheeler will sign anyday for 5 years and about 100 to 110 million. Nothing new here, but has has spoken with league sources. 

59 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing to keep in mind though, when the White Sox spend big money, and it's now only happened 3 times, it happened fast. Belle, Abreu, and Grandal. So the longer it does drag out, you would have to think the worse the Sox chances of converting. But right now it's still early.

Yeah re: your second paragraph. In general when it seems like there is good momentum toward a result then stalls, it always seems like a bad sign.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer