Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I got the Athletic subscription for 75 percent off for the year on Cyber Monday. This was definitely money well spent as they do a great job. Ken thinks Wheeler will sign anyday for 5 years and about 100 to 110 million. Nothing new here, but has has spoken with league sources. 

Clubs he mentioned on Wheeler are White Sox, Twins, Reds, Rangers and Blue Jays.

Also in that article he mentions how Bumgarner had the biggest increase in spin rate on his fastball from 2018 to 2019 among all pitchers in baseball. Only team his mentions on Bum are the Braves.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Clubs he mentioned on Wheeler are White Sox, Twins, Reds, Rangers and Blue Jays.

Also in that article he mentions how Bumgarner had the biggest increase in spin rate on his fastball from 2018 to 2019 among all pitchers in baseball. Only team his mentions on Bum are the Braves.

MadBum is a guy who doesn't get enough love right now. Not saying he's a better fit, but I think he's a better value.

You can probably get away with MadBum on a 4 year deal at $65-70mm vs. Wheeler who's bids are going to be closer to 5/110. $40mm is no joke, plus one less year could be very nice when it comes to resigning some of our own young talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'd rather have Bumgarner on a 2 year deal than Wheeler on a 5 year deal. I'd love to have Wheeler, but I think we'll have too many pitchers who profile the same way. 97 mph from the right side looks way different the 3rd or 4th day you're seeing it in a row. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

MadBum is a guy who doesn't get enough love right now. Not saying he's a better fit, but I think he's a better value.

You can probably get away with MadBum on a 4 year deal at $65-70mm vs. Wheeler who's bids are going to be closer to 5/110. $40mm is no joke, plus one less year could be very nice when it comes to resigning some of our own young talent.

sacrificing the next three years so that we can solve something that may or may not even be a problem in year four.

16 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'd rather have Bumgarner on a 2 year deal than Wheeler on a 5 year deal. I'd love to have Wheeler, but I think we'll have too many pitchers who profile the same way. 97 mph from the right side looks way different the 3rd or 4th day you're seeing it in a row. 

Not all fastballs look or move the same. 

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

LH also.   I think rotation balance (at least not having 5 straight RH pithcers) is very important in today's game. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

sacrificing the next three years so that we can solve something that may or may not even be a problem in year four.

I'm not sure it's really a sacrifice. MadBum has been a proven ace in his career, and although he has more innings on his arm, has also been healthier throughout his career. His stats can stand against Wheeler any day of the week, and one could easily argue are stronger. All for less money and less commitment. Not sure how it's a sacrifice ... You're getting yourself a #2-3 type guy. 

• Haha 1

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

I'm not sure it's really a sacrifice. MadBum has been a proven ace in his career, and although he has more innings on his arm, has also been healthier throughout his career. His stats can stand against Wheeler any day of the week, and one could easily argue are stronger. All for less money and less commitment. Not sure how it's a sacrifice ... You're getting yourself a #2-3 type guy. 

I have defended bumgarner as someone I expect to be a productive starter but to me that's just a #4 guy. This team needs a top of rotation player, we don't know how good kopech can be. FA isn't a series of gradual steps, to me wheeler is the last guy with potential for long term high-end (3.75 ERA in the AL or lower) production.

Others on the lower end will certainly pop up, but may only be 1-year deals and require some luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

I made some comparisons with Bum to the Sox as like Lester was to the Cubs weeks ago. Very similar in a lot of ways. People around here talk about Madbum as if he is a bum but do have some valid points about pitching in a bigger park helping his stats and his HR rate.

I backed off him because of a belief he'll end up in the NL but a guy like him with his post season excellence would be invaluable to our young pitchers. That's not really talked about at all because you sign players based on how you project them as numbers going forward.

However I have seen posters here talk about his attitude towards celebration/bat flips not fitting in to our fun loving group of youngsters. He's perceived as somewhat of a curmudgeon. I think the Sox could use a guy like him . there is no post season experience on the Sox . Who better to prepare them for the post season than him ? If the Sox can be winners, Madbum would have fun winning too, just maybe more on the inside.

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I made some comparisons with Bum to the Sox as like Lester was to the Cubs weeks ago. Very similar in a lot of ways. People around here talk about Madbum as if he is a bum but do have some valid points about pitching in a bigger park helping his stats and his HR rate.

I backed off him because of a belief he'll end up in the NL but a guy like him with his post season excellence would be invaluable to our young pitchers. That's not really talked about at all because you sign players based on how you project them as numbers going forward.

However I have seen posters here talk about his attitude towards celebration/bat flips not fitting in to our fun loving group of youngsters. He's perceived as somewhat of a curmudgeon. I think the Sox could use a guy like him . there is no post season experience on the Sox . Who better to prepare them for the post season than him ? If the Sox can be winners, Madbum would have fun winning too, just maybe more on the inside.

Jon Lester was a way better pitcher at the time of his signing than Bumgarner is now. He was coming off a five win season, 2.46 ERA/2.80 FIP over 219 innings. 

Strasburg in 2019 is a better comp for Lester in 2015. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer