Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Ryu and Wheeler have questionable pasts. If Ryu stays healthy, he can provide the Twins a 3.30 ERA. 

questionable pasts sounds so much more ominous than "pitchers who have previously had injuries".

Dodgers are a weird bunch. They have kinda targeted of injured pitchers and...it's not like they've made them healthier they have just accumulated a lot of them and they all cycle through their injuries.

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, but can they give Wheeler 100 million if he wants to sign before the Winter Meetings and still have the possibility of signing Cole? I don't think so. I think the timing makes it difficult for them to be in on both. Cole won't sign early, so if that's your main target you just have to wait it out and hope.

It's a fair point if he actually does want to get it done before the meetings.  It would force some of these teams to choose a path. It could just be his agent floating that to drive up more interest though.  Hopefully he just wants to get it done.

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Blackmon is a product of Coors. Guy had a .731 OPS away from Colorado last season. No thanks.

Couple things on this:

1. Almost all players are a good bit better at home than on the road - I have this analysis somewhere, and I'll try to find it because I don't want to cite wrong numbers. 

2. Coors players are actually at a much greater disadvantage on the road than all other hitters/players. Here's a good piece on this: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/13227274/does-coors-field-make-rockies-hitters-worse-road-mlb%E2%80%9D

3. Coors hitters should receive a bump in their road production similarly to the decrease they get from their home production. 

Great hitters who have left Coors have went on to be great hitters elsewhere despite their home/road splits. The Coors effect is greatly exaggerated. If you're great there, you'll be great elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Couple things on this:

1. Almost all players are a good bit better at home than on the road - I have this analysis somewhere, and I'll try to find it because I don't want to cite wrong numbers. 

2. Coors players are actually at a much greater disadvantage on the road than all other hitters/players. Here's a good piece on this: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/13227274/does-coors-field-make-rockies-hitters-worse-road-mlb%E2%80%9D

3. Coors hitters should receive a bump in their road production similarly to the decrease they get from their home production. 

Great hitters who have left Coors have went on to be great hitters elsewhere despite their home/road splits. The Coors effect is greatly exaggerated. If you're great there, you'll be great elsewhere.

I knew I’d heard something like this before. This is why I’m not worried about the splits. The age + contract is the problem. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer