Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

9 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I don't know if you want to lead the league in change up velocity. You'd think the slower the better. 

from what I've read, and I'm no pitching coach, you want 10mph difference. Any more off than that gives the batter too much time to recognize and adjust. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

from what I've read, and I'm no pitching coach, you want 10mph difference. Any more off than that gives the batter too much time to recognize and adjust. 

Johan Santana had a 74 mph changeup, threw 94 and it was the best changeup in baseball for a half decade. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

After how much they just spent on bum Moutaskas, they make me nervous. They could be that stupid team that goes to some absurd level for wheeler. 6 years and 125 or so.

If everybody here had to choose between not signing Wheeler at all or signing him for 6 years $125M, I bet we’d be pretty split. 

7 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I’ve read the same thing. It was several years ago when I read it, but it said that 10-11 mph difference is ideal. 

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

If everybody here had to choose between not signing Wheeler at all or signing him for 6 years $125M, I bet we’d be pretty split. 

I'd pass, but realize that my chances to win in 2020 just went down. 

Have to move up to the Cole/Strasburg market OR Bumgarner at that point. 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It's not my money and I'm not responsible for the outcome, so as a fan who cares - I just want him.

I think Wheeler up at 110 is the tippy top of his market. 125 is just too much past there if I was a GM/owner.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Not my money. But I’ll certainly be contributing more to the pot #shrug 

but my fear is a signing, or signings, like this will bring  the day when the FO cries poor and these younger players leave in free agency or get traded in salary dumps

20 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Not my money. But I’ll certainly be contributing more to the pot #shrug 

but my fear is a signing, or signings, like this will bring  the day when the FO cries poor and these younger players leave in free agency or get traded in salary dumps

No doubt. We know that JR sets the budget so it's really not the FO crying poor. They can only spend what JR approves. Hopefully,  he will be loyal to his own players and keep them.

29 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Eh, I'd probably say do it. The rebuild depends on bringing in a good arm. But hopefully it doesn't go that far.

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is funny because I was told that Wheeler would sign a 4 year deal at 60 million. There was no way he'd cross 100 million or maybe even approach 115/120. 

I didn’t see him getting to $100M. I was definitely wrong there. Felt 4/$80M was a legit price with competition entering offseason. But he’s definitely getting that 5th year. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer