Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The Reds aren't going over 100 imo, if they are even at that level.

They still have to fix SS and get an OF and iirc they are at around 125 million or so. 

I hope you're right.  But Sox have a lot to fix themselves.  They really could use a real 8th inning flamethrower, e.g.  And a RF (although I'd be satisfied with a Puig type).

If the Sox like Wheeler, they need to overpay for him.  That's how the Nats got Corbin; they really liked him (and they were correct in that assessment) and they paid a premium price.  And were rewarded.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

I hope you're right.  But Sox have a lot to fix themselves.  They really could use a real 8th inning flamethrower, e.g.  And a RF (although I'd be satisfied with a Puig type).

If the Sox like Wheeler, they need to overpay for him.  That's how the Nats got Corbin; they really liked him (and they were correct in that assessment) and they paid a premium price.  And were rewarded.

A little early to call that Corbin contract a reward. But generally, I agree with what you’re saying outside of the Puig nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

His floor was always around 5/100.  I'm not sure why people are so shocked he's at that right now.  He's put up 9 WAR the last 2 years.

Ah so that’s why people love Wheeler, the WAR. I honestly spent a lot of time away from baseball the past couple years as a man scorned by the Sox FO so I wasn’t really familiar with him and by the traditional stats he doesn’t jump out that much. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

A little early to call that Corbin contract a reward. But generally, I agree with what you’re saying outside of the Puig nonsense. 

Well he had an excellent year and they won a ring; they had the front line pitching to match the Astros.  As for Puig, not a big fan either, but I haven't seen any solid choices.
Can't the Sox develop an outfielder for goodness sakes...whose the last one developed from draft to an above average starter?  Rowand?

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, shipps said:

Ah so that’s why people love Wheeler, the WAR. I honestly spent a lot of time away from baseball the past couple years as a man scorned by the Sox FO so I wasn’t really familiar with him and by the traditional stats he doesn’t jump out that much. 

His WAR is an accumulation of all the stats that define him as a pitcher.  And according to that number, he's been a top 10 pitcher in baseball the last 2 years.

If you don't like that, watch the guy pitch.  He has good shit.

24 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The Reds aren't going over 100 imo, if they are even at that level.

They still have to fix SS and get an OF and iirc they are at around 125 million or so. 

Votto contract is really weighing them down...and Suarez is going to be getting increasingly expensive.  Didn't they sign him to an extension recently?

1 minute ago, Thad Bosley said:

The rest of the poster’s message clearly suggested the “I love Jerry Reinsdorf” statement was very much meant tongue in-cheek.   

One would think but Twitter is an odd place man....very odd place. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer