Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

37 minutes ago, shipps said:

Ah so that’s why people love Wheeler, the WAR. I honestly spent a lot of time away from baseball the past couple years as a man scorned by the Sox FO so I wasn’t really familiar with him and by the traditional stats he doesn’t jump out that much. 

I would also keep in mind the Mets had some pretty trash defense

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

There is no way the Sox don't have a 100m on the table. 

I still think there’s a small chance that our 5 year $90M offer is the highest and his agent is leaking the $100M offer to get us to raise ours. Like I said, a small chance, but it’s possible. 

55 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

His floor was always around 5/100.  I'm not sure why people are so shocked he's at that right now.  He's put up 9 WAR the last 2 years.

No not even close to $100M if you remember the Fangraphs ranking of FA's about a month ago. Scroll down to #9. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-top-50-free-agents/

This is scary.....it's not the $22 million per year but the NUMBER of years?  So the Sox are offering 4/$88 or even 5/$110 but won't do the 6th year?  Is someone out there really willing to something like 6/$125?

image.png

Edited by Wisebri224
update messed up link

1 minute ago, Wisebri224 said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It’s not the 22 a year. It’s the amount of years</p>&mdash; Steve Stone (@stevestone) <a href="https://twitter.com/stevestone/status/1202047878434308097?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 4, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is scary.....it's not the $22 million per year but the NUMBER of years?  So the Sox are offering 4/$88 or even 5/$110 but won't do the 6th year?  Is someone out there really willing to something like 6/$125?

Olney speculated earlier that he might be holding out for a 6th year.

14 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Completely believable that the Sox are trying to find a way to get him at 4 years with 5 being an option for the team.

I don't buy it for a second. There is too much smoke that we are knee deep in this thing. He is the only top tier pitcher we are even linked to. We are all in on this one boys, and if there is talk of a 6th year, we are offering 5. 

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why, if we base it on the Machado negotiations last year?

Or 100% believe that blowing everyone away early like Grandal is the new S.O.P.?

Well if we are basing things on last year there would be no Grandal. I am choosing to read in between the 5000 lines that are out there. Especially after hearing some of our major competition hasn't made an offer and the Yanks are moving on to bigger things. 

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No not even close to $100M if you remember the Fangraphs ranking of FA's about a month ago. Scroll down to #9. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-top-50-free-agents/

You are basing your claim off 1 FG prediction which has been very wrong in the past and present.  It has been reported for months he was going to be around 5/100 by multiple outlets and writers.

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't buy it for a second. There is too much smoke that we are knee deep in this thing. He is the only top tier pitcher we are even linked to. We are all in on this one boys, and if there is talk of a 6th year, we are offering 5. 

Based on everything that I have ever known as a Sox fan the sox have always been extremely leery of long term pitching contracts.

With Wheelers past health and not being a true ace, it stands to reason the Sox won't all of a sudden change who they are for Wheeler.

Years was a major issue last year.

Edited by Soxbadger

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Based on everything that I have ever known as Sox fan the sox have always been extremely leery of long term pitching contracts.

With Wheelers past health and not being a true ace, it stands to reason the Sox won't all of a sudden change who they are for Wheeler.

Years was a major issue last year.

We aren't talking about a 7 year mega deal. 5 and 110 isn't that big of a deal in 2019. They had to have known that Wheeler would want 5 years and 100 million. So why even bother if you won't go there? 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer