Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

We aren't talking about a 7 year mega deal. 5 and 110 isn't that big of a deal in 2019. They had to have known that Wheeler would want 5 years and 100 million. So why even bother if you won't go there? 

I feel like I’ve heard this argument before related the Sox...can’t put my finger on it though....hmm. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

You are basing your claim off 1 FG prediction which has been very wrong in the past and present.  It has been reported for months he was going to be around 5/100 by multiple outlets and writers.

It wasn't just Fangraphs . They did crowding sourcing with it too which takes all people like us who speculate on such things. There's also MLBTR which put him at 5 years and $100M at about the same time. To say his floor has always been 5/100 is you thinking MLBTR was closer to being right than Fangraphs BUT that always being his floor isn't accurate even if it turns out to be right.

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We aren't talking about a 7 year mega deal. 5 and 110 isn't that big of a deal in 2019. They had to have known that Wheeler would want 5 years and 100 million. So why even bother if you won't go there? 

The Sox have 0 deals of 100mil in their history. So to this franchise its a huge record setting deal.

The Sox should pass on Wheeler. The guy is injury prone and isn’t not even worth the 5 years 100 mil as projected. This is another one of those Machado type of scenarios where the free agent wants all this money with more years; hence why we’re seeing all these tweets coming out and articles on the dollar amounts and years. His agent is trying to get teams to up there offers. If the Sox FO are smart, they should have already learned there lesson from last year. Look at how that turned out for Machado this past year. He got his big payday but he was nowhere near as productive as he was while in Baltimore so that turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the Sox. I would rather they sign Ryu, who had the best ERA in all of baseball last year. Even though he is a risk too and is injury prone also he has just as much potential or even more and if he can replicate what he did this past year that is a win-win scenario. You can get him for cheaper and than have extra money to go after a lot more pieces. Just doesn’t make sense to throw the amount of years at Wheeler. Let him pass to a team that is stupid enough to give him those number of years. 

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The Sox have 0 deals of 100mil in their history. So to this franchise its a huge record setting deal.

There are now 101 contracts in MLB history that have been $105 million plus, soon to be more.  About time the White Sox join the party.  Stop partying like it's 1999!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox should pass on Wheeler. The guy is injury prone and isn’t not worth even 5 years 100 mil as projected. This is another one of those Machado type of players that want all this money and look how that turned out for Machado this past year. I would rather have Ryu, who had the best ERA in all of baseball last year. Even though he is a risk too and is injury prone also he has just as much potential or even more and if he can replicate what he did this past year that is a win-win scenario. You can get him for cheaper and than have extra money to go after a lot more pieces. Just doesn’t make sense to throw the amount of years at Wheeler. Let him pass to a team that is stupid enough to give him those number of years. 

So say you sign Ryu at 18 million/yr instead of wheeler at 22/yr. You have 4 million to go after a lot more pieces.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox should pass on Wheeler. The guy is injury prone and isn’t not worth even 5 years 100 mil as projected. This is another one of those Machado type of players that want all this money and look how that turned out for Machado this past year. I would rather have Ryu, who had the best ERA in all of baseball last year. Even though he is a risk too and is injury prone also he has just as much potential or even more and if he can replicate what he did this past year that is a win-win scenario. You can get him for cheaper and than have extra money to go after a lot more pieces. Just doesn’t make sense to throw the amount of years at Wheeler. Let him pass to a team that is stupid to give him those number of years. 

Supposedly Wheeler is willing to sign a contract soon, maybe even within a week. 

If you pass on Wheeler now and someone else signs him, the price of Ryu just went up.   And with Boras as his agent, you may be negotiating until March with no guarantee you land him.  In the meantime, you are putting other potential deals on hold.

Strike while you can.

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

So say you sign Ryu at 18 million/yr instead of wheeler at 22/yr. You have 4 million to go after a lot more pieces.

I get your point but supposedly the Sox have all this money to spend in the offseason so why not spend it on a couple affordable quality starting pitchers so your not spending stupid money on just one player and have less money to spend on another important piece. I would rather they sign two affordable quality starting pitchers than throw all this money at one good starting pitcher that has a past history of injuries and that we don’t know if he will have the same production in the future and help the team win championships. 

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, Wisebri224 said:

There are now 101 contracts in MLB history that have been $105 million plus, soon to be more.  About time the White Sox join the party.  Stop partying like it's 1999!

And 0% of them involve the White Sox.  I tried to look up all 101 so I could see what teams made the offers, but it doesnt really matter. The post stated 5 years 100mil is not a big deal. That is just false when it comes to the White Sox, because it would be a record breaking contract. So to the Sox, the team we are talking about, 5 years 100mil is a big deal. 

I have no sauces as Ive stated numerous times, but businesses/negotiators/owners tend to follow patterns. If last year they were worried about the final years for Machado, you have to consider the fact that the final years for Wheeler may also be an issue.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

They offered 250 to Machado. 

And we dont know the terms or if any was deferred, escalator clauses etc. All we know is that they didnt sign Machado. 

25 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

And 0% of them involve the White Sox.  I tried to look up all 101 so I could see what teams made the offers, but it doesnt really matter. The post stated 5 years 100mil is not a big deal. That is just false when it comes to the White Sox, because it would be a record breaking contract. So to the Sox, the team we are talking about, 5 years 100mil is a big deal. 

I have no sauces as Ive stated numerous times, but businesses/negotiators/owners tend to follow patterns. If last year they were worried about the final years for Machado, you have to consider the fact that the final years for Wheeler may also be an issue.

And we dont know the terms or if any was deferred, escalator clauses etc. All we know is that they didnt sign Machado. 

Anything beyond 2023/24 takes you into uncharted territory simply because of Moncada, Giolito and Anderson already cycling through (unless/until you sign them to extensions.)  They're not going to commit to much beyond that projected three year contention window.

There's also ANOTHER critical factor, which is that the new broadcasting rights deal only covers 2020-2024, and then is up for re-negotiations again.

To me, that makes it highly unlikely they're going to make a commitment of six years to ANY pitcher (even Strasburg/Cole.)

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer