Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

3 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Yeah I don’t see how the Phillies are more desirable unless it’s the Girardi effect... otherwise the Phillies always seem competitive, then they end up missing the playoffs the majority of the time. Reminds me of the modern day Cowboys actually... buy what you want, but always fall short. 

Would you want to be in the same division as the Nationals & Braves?  I know the Twins are coming off a monster year, but they almost certainly regress and the Indians look like they will be doing a partial blowup.  Add an insanely good young core and one of the best summer cities in the country and it’s a no-brained who is more attractive.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would you want to be in the same division as the Nationals & Braves?  I know the Twins are coming off a monster year, but they almost certainly regress and the Indians look like they will be doing a partial blowup.  Add an insanely good young core and one of the best summer cities in the country and it’s a no-brained who is more attractive.

Correct on all points. 

• Like 1

Well let’s see what Sox are made of.

Hahns economic might line read as if it meant with all of the players on pre arb we could spend what it takes for the players they target, not just spend on players full stop. 

If the Sox want wheeler for next four years they should get him, then deal with it later.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

A. Are you really surprised

B. The White Sox are still way less desirable than many of these teams

C. Maybe it will be a blessing, they need numerous upgrades that they can use all that money on 

Yeah...Philly and Cinci are really desirable places to live.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hahns economic might line read as if it meant with all of the players on pre arb we could spend what it takes for the players they target, not just spend on players full stop. 

If the Sox want wheeler for next four years they should get him, then deal with it later.

I totally agree. If the Sox need him for 4 years then They're going to have to get him for 6. And deal with it later.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Unless it gets into Strasburg stratosphere, Sox need to nail this down. Get your guy and worry about a possible payroll crunch down the line for once

Edited by TheTruth05

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The panicking can stop. We’re still alive.

Not until he’s off the board and we have to put our trust in Scott Boras to come up with one of his remaining “top” starters in this market.

Or they just lock in Bumgarner and Hamels quickly and cross their fingers they won’t be crushed at GRF. 

Edited by caulfield12

28 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Yeah I don’t see how the Phillies are more desirable unless it’s the Girardi effect... otherwise the Phillies always seem competitive, then they end up missing the playoffs the majority of the time. Reminds me of the modern day Cowboys actually... buy what you want, but always fall short. 

We've been told how players love Renteria.  Girardi is a technically good manager not particularly liked by his players.

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How the fuck are the White Sox way less desirable than the Phillies, Rangers, & Reds?  You’re just hating to hate.

And what are these numerous upgrades we need?  Two SPs, a RF, and a bullpen arm?  Guess what, we have the financial flexibility to add Wheeler and fill those other spots.  This would not be a blessing in disguise.

The whitesox are less desirable based on the fact that long term deals for pitchers is not what this organization does.  My guess is our deal is incentive based and has team options that create the illusion of future dollars.  I don't see us winning a bidding war with multiple teams.  We are trying to sell a story and don't just use the dollar and our financial flexibility to just get this done.  

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

This really is Corbin all over again.  Someone is giving him 6 years and the deal is happening today or tomorrow.

It definitely has the feel of that, if you want the player to help you win now you're going to have to do something you don't want to do on the contract.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

It definitely has the feel of that, if you want the player to help you win now you're going to have to do something you don't want to do on the contract.

Then we are destined to lose in our pursuits of pitching talent.  The sox are not a team that feels comfortable doing long term pitching contracts.  

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

The whitesox are less desirable based on the fact that long term deals for pitchers is not what this organization does.  My guess is our deal is incentive based and has team options that create the illusion of future dollars.  I don't see us winning a bidding war with multiple teams.  We are trying to sell a story and don't just use the dollar and our financial flexibility to just get this done.  

How would we ever realistically sign a true frontline starting pitcher in FA?

This approach forces us into the second tier...and maybe it works to get us to the playoffs, but guys like Bumgarner, Keuchel and Hamels would likely get flattened as part of an American League post-season roster at this point in their careers.

Getting Ryu away from LA and dealing with Boras seems like another fool’s errand.

No extra years ever and fear of dealing with Boras in FA = mired in mediocrity unless Robert becomes another superstar to pair with Moncada.

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

His comment was about the attractiveness of the organization, not of the offer itself.  And you’re making massive leaps on what our offer is based on what, the Machado fuckup?  We literally just signed a top free agent and didn’t include any team options and limited incentives.  By all means be skeptical, but a Wheeler type signing is right in our wheelhouse just like a Grandal signing was.  We’re not talking about going against the big boys for Cole or Strasburg here.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His comment was about the attractiveness of the organization, not of the offer itself.  And you’re making massive leaps on what our offer is based on what, the Machado fuckup?  We literally just signed a top free agent and didn’t include any team options and limited incentives.  By all means be skeptical, but a Wheeler type signing is right in our wheelhouse just like a Grandal signing was.  We’re not talking about going against the big boys for Cole or Strasburg here.

If you want to push about it, signing position players and especially DHs to long-term deals is our wheelhouse, but no where in our history do we put market leading contracts on the table for pitching.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer