Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

True but quite literally what he posted the day machado signed.

Id rather be rumored in the lead.

Unless Rosenthal or Passan is reporting who is in the lead, I think anything we hear is straight posturing.  Don’t get me wrong, I trust Buster more than say Nightengale, but he’s not getting access to information unless there’s some motivation behind it.

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

Someone gives him 6 years you tell him thank you and good night. White Sox don't need to give him 6 years. 

Then enjoy trotting out Cole Hamels as one of your starters in the playoffs vs the Yanks or Astros.  That will end well.  They need to get Cole, Stras, or Wheeler.  Not option C, D or E. 

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You don't win the world series in the first few years if you aren't a bit irresponsible on the length.

I think 5 years is already irresponsible. 6 is just stupid. You want to give a pitcher 6 then you should be in the mix for the top 2 guys. 

Edited by Baron

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We've been told how players love Renteria.  Girardi is a technically good manager not particularly liked by his players.

Is he really that good of a manager? He managed the Yankees and their billion-dollar payroll. Several seasons those rosters should have been able to sleepwalk to 90 wins.

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Then you are getting none of the top end talent for pitching.  

Read my edit. You better be getting the top 2 guys for 6+ years. Wheeler isn't that guy. 

In the end who actually thinks the White Sox will give him that 6th year without any stipulations? 

Edited by Baron

4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Then enjoy trotting out Cole Hamels as one of your starters in the playoffs vs the Yanks or Astros.  That will end well.  They need to get Cole, Stras, or Wheeler.  Not option C, D or E. 

Then we’re basically the Twins...and no, it doesn’t end well.

That’s exactly why they jettisoned three members of their rotation in Gibson, Pineda and M.Perez. 

Some will argue just making the playoffs should pacify most fans after an eleven-year absence, but that won’t play very well here.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Baron said:

Read my edit. You better be getting the top 2 guys for 6+ years. Wheeler isn't that guy. 

I want Stras or Cole.  I dont see it however. I would be shocked if the sox go to 5 years for any pitcher more or less anything longer.  I think 4 years is their sweet spot for pitchers.  I think its going to be the years probably that will nix them from having a final seat the the table for these pitchers.   And to be honest, there is zero reason fiscally that they cant win.  I just done see JR having the stomach for long term expensive deals on pitchers.  

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Wheeler gets 6/$120M, Strasburg is getting like 6/$210M or maybe even 7/$240M.  Just give the extra year and $10M to Wheeler.

Yep. I posted something similar last night, but I’d just cave and give him 6 years for $120. Front load it a little bit. 

• Like 2

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

I want Stras or Cole.  I dont see it however. I would be shocked if the sox go to 5 years for any pitcher more or less anything longer.  I think 4 years is their sweet spot for pitchers.  I think its going to be the years probably that will nix them from having a final seat the the table for these pitchers.   And to be honest, there is zero reason fiscally that they cant win.  I just done see JR having the stomach for long term expensive deals on pitchers.  

I agree with that completely 

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m with you. If you’re willing to go 6 years, then spend the money and get Strasburg.

Yes I mean I agree. But JR/Steve stone logic says that as long as you aren’t setting the new market for a pitcher you are fine. Only when you give labor a win are you in bad territory.

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

We gave Danks five years and offered Tanaka at least five.  I don’t disagree that six might be pushing it, but if there was ever a time I think they might do it now would be that time.  That being said, I’m not convinced this goes six.

There is absolutely zero reason the sox do not come out with one of Cole, Wheeler or Strasburg.  There is no excuse for this that is acceptable.  I could care less on salary or years at this point.  We have two ToR pitchers on the market now who are playoff battle tested.  Get one of them.  Anything else is a failure at this point.  I don't want to see "well we tried or stupid agents and players want money and security".   Get it done.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Correct on all points. 

I wonder if a guy like Wheeler would prefer to stay in NL because of no DH and being familiar w the hitters or would he prefer the AL because the hitters would not be as familiar w his stuff. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer