Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

16 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

It'll be a sad state of affairs if we miss on the 3rd or 4th best pitching option in a free-agent class. We may not like the numbers that are being thrown around but that's the going rate for solid pitching.

If we commit to these arbitrary contract length restrictions and are resigned to shopping in the bargain bin to fill out the roster, we're going to end up wasting a great young core.

I mean, if Ryu is going for 3/50 or 3/60, wheeler really doesn't warrant twice as much money. 

Great teams and organizations stick to their valuations.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Seems to me that the White Sox overplayed their hand and let another team get involved (Phillies). Everyone is going to say it’s an agent ploy so on and so forth but we saw what happened last year.

I don’t think Sox did anything wrong. Of course Wheeler’s agent was going to be patient. Who knows, Phillies could have been in the lead the whole time. This isn’t a Manny situation where it was only a few teams involved.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Seems to me that the White Sox overplayed their hand and let another team get involved (Phillies). Everyone is going to say it’s an agent ploy so on and so forth but we saw what happened last year.

How did they overplay their hand and how did they "let another team get involved?" 

Do you think they could force someone to sign?

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Didn’t we sign Grandal? Or was that an after thought? There’s soo much time left in the offseason to start jumping off the ledge. 

No one said anything about jumping off the ledge, the grandal signing came out of left field. If they miss on wheeler I will see what they do but won’t put much hope into it based on past success rates 

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They wouldn’t go six years for Corbin, you think they’ve gone six for Wheeler based on what?

Based on the failure of last year and the money invested in their roster.

Reds still worry me more than anyone. Both those teams could go 6/130 which would simply be a bad contract.

Just now, Orlando said:

There is no doubt in my mind that the Sox were given a number that would quickly end negotiations. I think the same happened with Grandal and they met it. 

Wouldn’t the same be true for the other teams involved with Wheeler?  With all due respect, I think you’re letting some of the eyeball emojis and “smoke” from last week make you think a deal was closer with the Sox than it really was.  If anything, Sox probably tried to close the deal by Wheeler wanted to wait.

Just now, Dlsoxfan said:

I am in panic mode because i know the whitesox wont even be in the conversation for one of the top starters after Wheeler. No Cole. No Strasburg. So we will settle for trash like Hamels or Keuchel. It makes me sick

I think it will be Roark and Wood if they miss out 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Didn’t we sign Grandal? Or was that an after thought? There’s soo much time left in the offseason to start jumping off the ledge. 

The amount of time left in the offseason is inconsequential here. The point is that the Sox aren't going to make a run at Cole or Strasburg and Wheeler is the most desirable option outside of those two. Once he is gone, it's not like the amount of time left in the offseason is going to make better pitchers appear in free agency.

If we miss on Wheeler, we're going to end up with more half-measures that don't put this roster over the top. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Wouldn’t the same be true for the other teams involved with Wheeler?  With all due respect, I think you’re letting some of the eyeball emojis and “smoke” from last week make you think a deal was closer with the Sox than it really was.  If anything, Sox probably tried to close the deal by Wheeler wanted to wait.

I get that but the eyeballs didn’t make it seem like it was close to me. The national coverage yesterday and Bob, Buster and Marino alluding to the Sox being the favorite only for it to change later the same night is what is making me feel this way.

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

There is no doubt in my mind that the Sox were given a number that would quickly end negotiations. I think the same happened with Grandal and they met it. 

That's not really how agents work. There isnt a buy it now button in free agency. 

Grandal sat out there for months and didnt get what he wanted. Him jumping at his offer isnt surprising.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer