Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

There is no doubt in my mind that the Sox were given a number that would quickly end negotiations. I think the same happened with Grandal and they met it. 

Even if true, the "sign me now in November" price could be like 6/$130 mill for all we know. It would be stupid for them to say "we will sign now for 5/100" when that offer is likely there in December and January.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

While true, the "sign me now in November" price could be like 6/$130 mill for all we know. It would be stupid for them to say "we will sign now for 5/100" when that offer is likely there in December and January.

Lol people thinking the bidding process works like an Ebay auction.

• Haha 2

We don't know what the Sox offered, so we don't know if they overeplayed their hand.  But last year they low-balled; hopefully they didn't this year.

And no, he isn't worth twice what other guys are worth; but they don't need those other guys - they need a TOR guy. The Nats overpaid for Corbin and won a title.  And since the Sox don't adhere to many of the practices of winning organizations, it's okay with me if they don't adhere to the "not-overpaying" practice as well.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What crazy, wasteful contract have the Astros signed?

Wake me when the sox get 1/10th the scouting and development environment that the Astros have.  We are also too busy trading away our international money to save 5 million dollars here and there.  

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol people thinking the bidding process works like an Ebay auction.

Lol I don't think it does. I meant to say "even if true" rather than "while true."

Back to the topic. The Sox haven't screwed up anything. Can't force a guy to sign in November when he has a ton of suitors.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

The amount of time left in the offseason is inconsequential here. The point is that the Sox aren't going to make a run at Cole or Strasburg and Wheeler is the most desirable option outside of those two. Once he is gone, it's not like the amount of time left in the offseason is going to make better pitchers appear in free agency.

If we miss on Wheeler, we're going to end up with more half-measures that don't put this roster over the top. 

How do you know that the Sox won’t try to make a run for Strasburg or Cole? Do you have any sources saying this? 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

What crazy, wasteful contract have the Astros signed?

They traded for a couple. At the time they got Verlander, most didn't anticipate his rejuvenation, at least to the level he is at. And Grienke wouldn't get paid what he is owed if he was a free agent today.

Sounds to me like Phillies went to 6. Sox should try to get creative - maybe an opt out after 3 years instead of going to 6. 

6 years for a guy with his injury history and for a guy who really relies heavily on throwing 98 mph is pretty risky.

It has to be after Year 4.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How soon do we hear about how JR stepped up and made an unprecedented offer again that fell short? 

I do fear Wheeler is a one or two year guy though. So this failure may be a blessing. 

Personally, I wouldnt go six years on wheeler. I dont blame them if that's where it goes. 5 is iffy but would be a consideration.

guys as someone who walked away from the white sox for a year after the machado/harper debacle.... I don't think overpaying Wheeler is what we want to get upset about.

let's just see what happens and how much his contract is before we jump off the cliff :).

Wheeler may be the best option for us in Free agency this year, but he's definitely got a lot of warts. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer