Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

Let's say the Sox offered $100 million a couple days ago, which it seems likely that they did. Wheeler's camp wanted to wait a few days to see if they would get a better offer. They did, from the Phillies, which is why everyone is freaking out right now. Wheeler's camp is probably going to circle back to the Sox tofay to see if they'll beat the Phillies offer. If they do, Wheeler will sign with the Sox.

I'm not going to freak out until Rosenthal or Passan say he has officially signed elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

This is last off-season all over again just earlier.   We get the Joc rumor and the leading candidate for a top free agent then everything fades away and the White Sox were at the table but in the end the cost was too much for their budget and philosophy.

The White Sox are not in on Ryu, Cole or Stras.

Carry  on.

Ryu very well get less than half of what the Sox have already offered to Wheeler.

so try again buddy. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s well documented the Sox already have an offer on the table for 5/$100M+. Which is an aggressive offer. I’m sure they have some wiggle room, but at some point you have to draw the line in sand when you’re talking about a good but definitely not elite pitcher.

Darts Trophy - <b>Engraving Available</b> - Generic Resin Award - Comic Star - <b>Runner Up</b> - 114mm (4.5") - Small

Well we can get these mass produced then for our future pitching FA follies.  

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

I presonally would give the 6th year at 120.  HOWEVER, I would understand the Sox passing on the 6th year.  I wouldn't be mad about it, even though I'd have done it

I'd be mad because it would signal we are not a big boy. The big boys get deals like this done and win championships. I'd prefer to trade for an Ace but we don't have prospects to do so without including our top guys. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He has two years left on the deal. Last year he had a 5.4 fWAR. Is he suddenly going to be a 0 WAR pitcher with dead money next year? Dick, when is the dead money coming into place when theres 2 years left and he was just a top 10 pitcher in baseball last year?

I'm full of myself because I don't think 2 years of greinke is the same dead money risk as 6 years of wheeler? My lord, make better arguments and pal. 

Because the next two seasons he will be 36 and 37 years old. It can happen at any time. It's $70 million, so if you expect Wheeler to be good for 2 seasons, guess what? The dead money is about the same or less. Every 1 year of dead Greinke money is almost 2 years of dead Wheeler money.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Just now, Baron said:

Twins’ fans will always have 1987 and 1991!!!  They do have that new/er stadium...but losing 15 times consecutively in the playoffs to the Yankees and missing out on Wheeler would be completely demoralizing.  

Bringing back Odorizzi is similar to us resigning Abreu.   And they’re having zero luck getting guys like Berrios and Buxton to sign extensions.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'd be mad because it would signal we are not a big boy. The big boys get deals like this done and win championships. I'd prefer to trade for an Ace but we don't have prospects to do so without including our top guys. 

It’s also how ‘big boys’ get themselves in a lot of trouble. 

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Let's say the Sox offered $100 million a couple days ago, which it seems likely that they did. Wheeler's camp wanted to wait a few days to see if they would get a better offer. They did, from the Phillies, which is why everyone is freaking out right now. Wheeler's camp is probably going to circle back to the Sox tofay to see if they'll beat the Phillies offer. If they do, Wheeler will sign with the Sox.

I'm not going to freak out until Rosenthal or Passan say he has officially signed elsewhere.

This is how I see this. Also, nightengale said yesterday the sox were willing to go even higher than what they'd offered.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Because the next two seasons he will be 36 and 37 years old. It can happen at any time. It's $70 million, so if you expect Wheeler to be good for 2 seasons, guess what? The dead money is about the same or less. 

Wheeler has never had a single season as good as greinke was last year. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

It’s also how ‘big boys’ get themselves in a lot of trouble. 

But are they not yearly contenders? Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Phillies, Nationals, etc don't win every year and have bad contracts, but they are right there. 6 years and 120 isn't back breaking to an organization anymore if it fails. We aren't talking 7 and 250 or 10 and 300. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ryu very well get less than half of what the Sox have already offered to Wheeler.

so try again buddy. 

Right now he’s looking closer to $65-80 million than $50-54 some initially predicted coming into the offseason.   Low $60’s for three years or $70-75 million for four doesn’t sound so crazy anymore if you look at his 2019 numbers and block out all the other noise.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

But are they not yearly contenders? Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Phillies, Nationals, etc don't win every year and have bad contracts, but they are right there. 6 years and 120 isn't back breaking to an organization anymore if it fails. We aren't talking 7 and 250 or 10 and 300. 

yup

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Phillies have been bad almost as long as the White Sox.  It’s just their owner is more determined to write massive checks and make big splashes since they can’t turn back now after adding three big names last year and at least two more in this cycle (Gregorious being the other.)

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I’m with you. If you’re willing to go 6 years, then spend the money and get Strasburg.

Honestly for me best case scenario is that Phillies offered 6 years and Hahn immediately put in an aggressive 5 year offer for Stras. If you overpay, overpay for the guy who had the historic playoffs...

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Phillies have been bad almost as long as the White Sox.  It’s just their owner is more determined to write massive checks and make big splashes since they can’t turn back now after adding three big names last year and at least two more in this cycle (Gregorious being the other.)

LOL... Since 2009 the White sox are -137 games below .500.... the Phillies are -22.  They haven't been close. That's a difference of I believe 11.5 games a year.... Yeah, but no.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer