Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One other thing to keep in mind...the Phillies train in FL. I think Wheeler lives in GA. He may not be too keen on spending 6 weeks in AZ if his other choice is around the same money. So the Sox may have to bump the Phillies offer a bit. 

He isn't basing his decision on spring training. Where do people come up with this stuff?

Edited by chitown87
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

He isn't basing his decision on spring training. Where do people come up with this stuff?

If the money is similar, a lot of them do. It's one reason a lot of players live the offseason near the spring training facility. Workout facilities during the winter and an extra 6 weeks at home in the spring. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Thanks for the insight. Anyone else kinda numb to this after last offseason? I won't be crushed if they miss out. It's Just onto the next one.

To me, it all depends on the price.  If he signs elsewhere for 5/$115M or less, I'd be pretty disappointed. I have previously said 5/$100M would be my max on Wheeler, I would be willing to stretch to 5/$115M to make it happened.  If it starts getting much over $23M AAV for 5 years or more, and you just have the looks of what could be a very bad contract if Wheeler doesn't continue his 18-19 performance.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

To me, it all depends on the price.  If he signs elsewhere for 5/$115M or less, I'd be pretty disappointed. I have previously said 5/$100M would be my max on Wheeler, I would be willing to stretch to 5/$115M to make it happened.  If it starts getting much over $23M AAV for 5 years or more, and you just have the looks of what could be a very bad contract if Wheeler doesn't continue his 18-19 performance.  

Yeah, this is where I'm at. Once you get into Corbin territory, the risk outweighs the reward. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, this is where I'm at. Once you get into Corbin territory, the risk outweighs the reward. 

Yah, I mean obviously you don't sign high end FAs for surplus value.  But there is just no upside in a deal like that.  Sox need SP.  Sox need to stick their neck out a bit on Wheeler.  But they also cannot afford to massively overpay a guy.  If he ends up producing like 6-8 WAR over the course of a 6 year $130M contract, that could be a serious hindrance to this upcoming contention window from 2020-2025.  

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One other thing to keep in mind...the Phillies train in FL. I think Wheeler lives in GA. He may not be too keen on spending 6 weeks in AZ if his other choice is around the same money. So the Sox may have to bump the Phillies offer a bit. 

He’s from Smyrna, so Atlanta metro.  His family would be able to see all his games against the Braves, for example...plus he’s already 100% familiar with the teams/hitters/cities in the the NL East.

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not really.  I think the Sox dispelled a lot of narratives with the Grandal signing, and I fully expect them to sign at least 1 more impact FA this offseason.  Cole was never going to happen - but yes, we all know that signing the most unattainable FA on the market was the only way you'd be pleased with the offseason.  

How exactly did that contract dispel any narratives? I guess them not leaking it in advance dispels the narrative that they leak everything, but they've signed position players and even specifically DHs to contracts that are, inflation adjusted, comparable. 

And yes, after watching the last 3 teams to win the world series be the teams with Lester, Verlander, Price, and Scherzer, I think it is entirely reasonable to say that a team that wants to win the world series should be trying to attain the best pitcher on the market.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Not yet, but maybe in a few years. I remember in 2005 I said to myself, just let them win the WS, I won't care if they suck for a decade. I cared.

Yah, its so easy to say who cares about years 5-6.  But the people who say that will definitely care when years 5 and 6 come around.  

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Not yet, but maybe in a few years. I remember in 2005 I said to myself, just let them win the WS, I won't care if they suck for a decade. I cared.

But would you trade our World Series for 10  playoff years? I sure as hell wouldn't and I would hope you wouldn't either.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer