Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're not pretending. They are right on the border of a small and mid market team. 

Your team valuation is 14th in MLB.  Your team revenue is The team revenue is slightly below the average on a year over year basis.  THat's having a half empty stadium because of your product.  If they are average financially, that is nothing like teams below them in revenue streams via television and other marketing.  When a team is banking almost $70 million some years, you can't cry poor when your team valuation is rising at approximately 15% per year.  

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have no interest in anything over 6 years for Stras. I'm calling it now, but Stras has a down year next year after the work load he just put in.

I'd do 6 years and a higher AAV for Strasburg though.  Still, a down year for Strasburg is the season that Wheeler just put up in 2019. 

I'd definitely do the 8 year $250 for Cole though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have no interest in anything over 6 years for Stras. I'm calling it now, but Stras has a down year next year after the work load he just put in.

Cool but you have him for 8 years. If you want to have perfect production for every year in a pitchers contract don't sign any free agents.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How much did they pay for Harper?

The Phillies have been "spending stupid this off-season" like 10 off-seasons in a row and they've netted Harper and Arrieta. 

I never said they signed no one - I said they've been linked as "not being outbid" about as many times as the Sox in the past few years while falling flat.

22 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If the Sox lose out on Zack Wheeler

It's because they decided to give Jose Abreu ALL THE MONEY for no reason.

Fade me.

Its going to be a very long off season if this narrative comes out for every free agent the Sox are in on but don't get . And we can count on it coming out since I've already seen it multiple times by multiple posters regarding Wheeler.

Just try to keep it in perspective that it's still early and there's a long way to go before deciding the Sox lost the off season. You really don't know if a Ryu or Madbum signing turns out better than a Wheeler signing until it plays out.

There's also some young RF out there be it in the Rockies or A's organization who hasn't yet emerged as a 3 or 4 WAR type player but will. I would accept a prospect for prospect deal on  some September call up or AAA guy who can play defense and who is deemed ML ready offensively also; I know most want a recognizable name but I'd sure feel better about the Sox PD and scouting if for once we can identify talent that another team might undervalue and deem expendable.

This is one of the reasons that I've been saying that an 8 year deal for Cole is one of the best moves we could do.

I do tend to agree with you there...I would not be surprised to see both Stras and Cole to have less than stellar years next year.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I don't know what profit value means, but you're correct that they're #14 in total franchise value, but per the 2019 numbers they were #6 in profitability. 

Yes. I'm not a financial expert, but I do know the White Sox have gained a very large profit over the span of this rebuild. The time is now to reinvest in the product on the field. The days of going bargain bin shopping should be over. We've suffered long enough. 

The Phillies have been "spending stupid this off-season" like 10 off-seasons in a row and they've netted Harper and Arrieta. 

I never said they signed no one - I said they've been linked as "not being outbid" about as many times as the Sox in the past few years while falling flat.

They haven't said anything like that this year. Olney is the one who said they are frontrunners. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Cool but you have him for 8 years. If you want to have perfect production for every year in a pitchers contract don't sign any free agents.

The guy has thrown over 200 innings TWICE in 8 seasons. Expecting him to suddenly become a work horse at 32 years old is a reach. If his age 32 season is a down year, it's not exactly a glowing endorsement for seasons 35-38.

The guy has thrown over 200 innings TWICE in 8 seasons. Expecting him to suddenly become a work horse at 32 years old is a reach. If his age 32 season is a down year, it's not exactly a glowing endorsement for seasons 35-38.

Strasburg is risky too.....no doubt. I just think the ceiling is higher there. I'd rather take the risk on someone who has more of a track record of excellence. I wouldn't expect greatness for the last few seasons, but that's the price of doing business. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is one of the reasons that I've been saying that an 8 year deal for Cole is one of the best moves we could do.

Yeah, I'd give Cole whatever he wants. He's been a bill of good health, growth and consistency. He's much safer than everyone else on the market honestly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They haven't said anything like that this year. Olney is the one who said they are frontrunners. 

So last year, the Phillies didn't jump into the lead as the front runner for Machado only to not even beat the Sox 2nd place offer? 

Last year the Phillies didn't say they wouldn't be outbid for Corbin only to be outbid for Corbin?

1 minute ago, GreatScott82 said:

Yes. I'm not a financial expert, but I do know the White Sox have gained a very large profit over the span of this rebuild. The time is now to reinvest in the product on the field. The days of going bargain bin shopping should be over. We've suffered long enough. 

Just make sure the Sox aren't bidding against themselves. Chicago is a great city and Sox fans are great as well. with our young team, it could become

a team players will want to be on.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I actually think Wheeler's ceiling is higher but I understand I'm in the minority here.

I understand why you think that....I get the fastball velo difference, etc. I just have trouble committing 6 years to a player with the track record Wheeler has in the NL. 

Let's put it this way.....Wheeler at 6/140 is a good signing for the Astros or Reds, but not the White Sox. I trust them to maximize his ability much more than I do the White Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't think 200 innings is even needed anymore. It's nice when it happens.

And, I mean, trade him then.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

This is sensible.

Yes it is. I have no idea why more teams don't frontload FA contracts, You're paying the most when the player is at his best, and protecting yourself during the decline years. It makes a ton of sense. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So last year, the Phillies didn't jump into the lead as the front runner for Machado only to not even beat the Sox 2nd place offer? 

Last year the Phillies didn't say they wouldn't be outbid for Corbin only to be outbid for Corbin?

They went to Harper over Machado. They traded for Segura, and spent $50 million guaranteed on McCutcheon. If he gets the 4th year team option, he's pretty close to the largest contract in White Sox history, and he's totally forgotten. Now they are in on Wheeler. If the Sox signed Harper, do you think they would shopping in the clearance aisle right now.

If that's bluster, i'll take it over being stunned a player thought $50 million more guaranteed was a better deal. 

Edited by Dick Allen

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer