Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They went to Harper over Machado. They traded for Segura, and spent $50 million guaranteed on McCutcheon. If he gets the 4th year team option, he's pretty close to the largest contract in White Sox history, and he's totally forgotten. Now they are in on Wheeler. If the Sox signed Harper, do you think they would shopping in the clearance aisle right now.

What does any of this have to do with the point I made?

My goodness man, you are just arguing at this point to argue.

All I said is the Phillies have talked a lot about not being outbid only to be outbid. That was an accurate statement. Again, move the goal posts all you'd like.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What does any of this have to do with the point I made?

My goodness man, you are just arguing at this point to argue.

All I said is the Phillies have talked a lot about not being outbid only to be outbid.

The point you made was that the Phillies were all bluster. You were wrong again. 

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I remember when Sox fans were so worried because the Phillies were the "new front runner" for Machado. Turned out they didn't beat the Sox or the Padres offer. 

Phillies are a lot of bluster. They may get this done, but this is typical Philly operations. They said they wouldn't exceed their internal valuations last year, and I don't see that changing.

Phillies may sign him but I worry more about the Reds.

Where does this say "All bluster" Dick?

They were a lot of Bluster.

Everything I said in this post is true; outside of my speculation in the final sentence.

Said Philly was a lot of bluster - point to two exact cases of this happening just last off-season (Machado and Corbin). Dick says I'm 100% wrong despite those things literally happening. My goodness.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They also spent about $400 million last winter.

Cool Dick, this doesn't change what was said and reported and what actually happened; no matter how many times you point to other things, my point was they have been said to be front runners on a lot of guys they did not sign. That is, by definition, being blusterous. 

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Strasburg's market may be strange. I really doubt the Sox have any chance, but if someone offered something like 4 / 120, is anyone really going to beat that? Boras gets more money for him, so the opt out worked. But what team is really going 5+ years?

Strasburg is going to get like 7 years and $225 million minimum IMO. 

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Strasburg's market may be strange. I really doubt the Sox have any chance, but if someone offered something like 4 / 120, is anyone really going to beat that? Boras gets more money for him, so the opt out worked. But what team is really going 5+ years?

Yes. Absolutely. Easily. The Yankees and Dodgers would jump at that.  The Nationals would go have a $30 million party for everyone in DC to celebrate the money they just saved. 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Strasburg is going to get like 7 years and $225 million minimum IMO. 

Thats just crazy.

What teams do you think would do it?

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Yes. Absolutely. Easily. The Yankees and Dodgers would jump at that.  The Nationals would go have a $30 million party for everyone in DC to celebrate the money they just saved. 

How are the Nationals saving money? He was getting $100mil, now hes getting $120. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm convinced that if the Sox strike out on Wheeler the rest of the offseason will be bantha fodder. (yes, I'm a star wars guy) 

They definitely will sign someone else to pitch. Since they have basically officially called off the rebuild and are trying to win is going to make them add. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

talking about what the white sox should do >>>>> limiting ourselves to what the white sox will do (kevin gausman is available. only 28, could be interesting !!?!?!)

There's a lot of interesting options out there that got non-tendered. Wish the last couple off-seasons would have had those kind of guys when we were tanking.

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer