Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The rest of the pitchers that we could actually sign are bad or on a decline outside of Ryu who is made of literal glass.

Some would be fine on a short term deal in addition to Wheeler, but by themselves it would be a collosal failure.  The FA SP market the next two years is bad.

^^^^

If Wheeler goes to Philly the Sox are fuckt. 

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The rest of the pitchers that we could actually sign are bad or on a decline outside of Ryu who is made of literal glass.

Some would be fine on a short term deal in addition to Wheeler, but by themselves it would be a collosal failure.  The FA SP market the next two years is bad.

Exactly, and that’s why I’d rather extend Wheeler a sixth season and suffer through it in 2026 (likely at the end of our competitive window) than sit here and wait for......who exactky? There are no good options 

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

There's a lot of interesting options out there that got non-tendered. Wish the last couple off-seasons would have had those kind of guys when we were tanking.

Yeah, like if they had signed lance lynn last year instead of going after innings eater nova.

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Never said they didn't. What about what I said was wrong? 

Sox signed Grandal; that doesn't change the fact that they've been a "front runner who won't be outbid" only to be outbid on Machado. The Phillies language has been similar.

The implication is what was wrong about what you said.

I’m arguing that the Phillies are much more likely to win a free agent bidding war than the White Sox, given that they’ve done so several times in recent history, and consistently have bff run substantially higher payrolls for the past two decades. You’re trying to argue against that, I guess based on them not signing every player they were interested in last year, the same year they won the bidding to give out the richest free agent contract in the history of baseball?

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Guess who had the biggest fastball spin rate increase in 2019, Hint: Giolito was 2nd.

There was some other list I saw yesterday on Twitter that showed pitches that were called balls that were either a ball's length off or over the plate and Wheeler was on the list. I don't know if it was ordered from most to least or not but Reynaldo Lopez had the top spot.

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

Another thing to consider with Bumgarner is I don't know if he would gel with this clubhouse, namely Tim. I believe he's a "play the game the right way" guy. 

Hes the Chairman of the Unwritten Rules club. Verlander is his Vice Chairman. 

I think it was him that flipped a lid when a player went back to the dugout and touched the mound. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Exactly, and that’s why I’d rather extend Wheeler a sixth season and suffer through it in 2026 (likely at the end of our competitive window) than sit here and wait for......who exactky? There are no good options 

pitchers I like but are high variability (aside from ryu)

Decent chance at 3rd starter production:

Miley 

Decent chance at fourth starter production

Porcello (move him back to primarily 2 seam/sinker)

Jordan Lyles

Pineda (gopher ball)

Martin Perez (pair cutter with coop)

So yeah, bumgarner starts to look better. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer