Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

51 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Considering the organization's history dealing with clubhouse disputes and how outspoken players have been, this is something I would have to consider IMO. 

You really think if the Sox wanted Bumgarner they are going to ask him what he thinks of Timmy pimping HRs ?

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

If the Reds do get desperate, I wonder if Wheeler would still pick the Sox if the Reds had a slightly higher offer (key word being slightly).  If the Sox offer 5 years $105M and the Reds offer 5 years $110M, I still think he might pick the Sox.

There is 0 reason the Sox shouldn't be matching that.

If the Reds or Phillies went like 6/140 okay, keep him. 

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Thanks for the response. If the money is equal, I don’t see why Wheeler would pick the Reds over the Sox. The Sox are in a much easier division and I’d have to think that Chicago is a more attractive destination than Cincinnati.

Reds have a much better pitching staff and Wheeler knows the NL. 

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Thanks for the response. If the money is equal, I don’t see why Wheeler would pick the Reds over the Sox. The Sox are in a much easier division and I’d have to think that Chicago is a more attractive destination than Cincinnati.

I think all else being equal, pitchers prefer the NL to the AL. 

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

There is 0 reason the Sox shouldn't be matching that.

If the Reds or Phillies went like 6/140 okay, keep him. 

Like raBBit said, the problem is that they aren't going to play chicken with his agent.  If his agent comes to them and says that the Reds are offering $5M or $10M more, how can you believe that?  I think they put together a solid offer and will wait to see if he accepts it.

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If the Reds do get desperate, I wonder if Wheeler would still pick the Sox if the Reds had a slightly higher offer (key word being slightly).  If the Sox offer 5 years $105M and the Reds offer 5 years $110M, I still think he might pick the Sox.

Why would he turn down 5m to play for us? That by itself is a nice apartment building that can produce income indefinitely. 

He should and likely will take the best offer. The location is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why would he turn down 5m to play for us? That by itself is a nice apartment building that can produce income indefinitely. 

Because this is a blue- collar town!

Edited by HOFHurt35

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Because we have a better young core and we are in an easier division.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Hard pass on Madison Bumgarner, period. 

He's a jackass that yells into the sky every time an opposing player shows any semblance of emotion on the field. 

Yea, good luck with him and Tim Anderson on the same team.

Yes it's clearly an issue at having a fiercely competitive guy who hates when guys on the other team hit HR's. My God i'd have to put that right up there with the wife beaters and steroid users, pill poppers, alcoholics and guys who didn't hustle because they were already under contract and decide only to get in shape in a contract year.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes it's clearly an issue at having a fiercely competitive guy who hates when guys on the other team hit HR's. My God i'd have to put that right up there with the wife beaters and steroid users, pill poppers, alcoholics and guys who didn't hustle because they were already under contract and decide only to get in shape in a contract year.

Being fiercly competitive and being  Ye olde satchel of Richards are 2 different things.  He's a red assed baby.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Reds rotation is loaded; with Wheeler it would be one of the best rotations in baseball. 

The Sox need to offer the most money; not get cute.

I'm not suggesting they get cute.  I'm also not suggesting they shouldn't offer the most money.  I was simply saying that IF the Reds offered slightly more, I think there's a chance we could still land him.

I think we should just offer him 6 for $120 and get it over with.

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Not for $5 Mil. I disagree. When you are signing a $100 Mil contract, 5Mil is not a major chunk.  Tax rates are different in each state. So are cost of living expenses. So is where their family lives. If you are talking $15+ Million difference , I would agree the money decides. But not $1 mil per year,  I think other factors like AL/NL, playoff potential, manager/pitching coach, roster etc can all be factors if the two offers are pretty close.  

19 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Hard pass on Madison Bumgarner, period. 

He's a jackass that yells into the sky every time an opposing player shows any semblance of emotion on the field. 

Yea, good luck with him and Tim Anderson on the same team.

I don't think him and Tim would have any issues. Tim isn't hitting homers off him. Mad is just a sore loser. I don't want him on the Sox either.

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

I'm not suggesting they get cute.  I'm also not suggesting they shouldn't offer the most money.  I was simply saying that IF the Reds offered slightly more, I think there's a chance we could still land him.

I think we should just offer him 6 for $120 and get it over with.

The White Sox have tried landing guys not offering the most money. If you were a player, what is it about Rick Hahn's resume that would make you think there is an excellent chance at sustained winning? The Reds haven't been very good lately either, but unless you are a White Sox fan, there isn't a lot to buy into yet.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox have tried landing guys not offering the most money. If you were a player, what is it about Rick Hahn's resume that would make you think there is an excellent chance at sustained winning? The Reds haven't been very good lately either, but unless you are a White Sox fan, there isn't a lot to buy into yet.

It's not about Hahn's resume. Show highlight packages of all the young stars. This team is flippin' loaded for the future, especially if they augment it with players like Wheeler. It shouldn't be that hard to sell.

16 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Being fiercly competitive and being  Ye olde satchel of Richards are 2 different things.  He's a red assed baby.

I just think by your comments on how upset you will be if we lose out on Wheeler you're going to blame the Abreu contract and being inflexible on Bumgarner and Ryu is just setting yourself for a huge disappointment if the Sox don't convert on Wheeler. This just doesn't apply to you. I suspect a lot of people here are going to consider the off season a failure if we don't get Wheeler no matter what happens the rest of the off season unless we somehow switch to Cole or Strasburg as targets when the next logical targets will be Bumgarner and Ryu.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer