Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, I think they could still have a great off-season, I just worry that if this was really "their main target and guy" that a 10 million dollar difference over 5 years is what cost him that it's really detrimental to the future of this team. 

It's the fact that it was such a small amount of money that cost them that makes it much worse.

Hey it was a "competitive offer"!  

Just now, Orlando said:

I'm happy they didn't go that high. 24 mil a year is a bit crazy. 

The issue is that if they valued him at 22 million a year, then 24 is just the cost of doing business in FA. 

This is too close to excuse; unless they matched and Wheeler just wanted to stay in the NL and out east, there's no excusing it. I do admit that it's possible that was what Wheeler chose.

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

At those number for pitching, beef up the lineup in RF and DH and pray for a miracle from Lopez, Kopech, Cease. 

The pitching market is just absurd at this point. 

I will wager we try to trade for Chris Archer now.. Would be such a White Sox Move.. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

5/$100M was my max.  Was willing to stretch to 5/$115, full well knowing that it could blow up.

It sucks to lose out on Wheeler, but I don't think this is the end of the world. 

So what pitcher will we sign now? Madbum is said to be getting 100m. This is a disaster. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The issue is that if they valued him at 22 million a year, then 24 is just the cost of doing business in FA. 

This is too close to excuse; unless they matched and Wheeler just wanted to stay in the NL and out east, there's no excusing it. I do admit that it's possible that was what Wheeler chose.

The Sox don't seem to realize that in FA, your "worth" is what someone will pay you.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

5/$100M was my max.  Was willing to stretch to 5/$115, full well knowing that it could blow up.

It sucks to lose out on Wheeler, but I don't think this is the end of the world. 

This is not the end of the world, so long as the Sox have strong contingency plans. Our whole offseason does not revolve around Wheeer, but they had better pivot to other quality options quickly.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I think we can all kiss any hope of winning anything goodbye. We can also kiss Moncada and Giolito goodbye after 2021, as they'll be traded and we'll just start the whole rebuild over again.

This fucking sucks. Chicago sports is a barren wasteland right now. No hope anywhere. 

And the award for most dramatic response goes to....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I think we can all kiss any hope of winning anything goodbye. We can also kiss Moncada and Giolito goodbye after 2021, as they'll be traded and we'll just start the whole rebuild over again.

This fucking sucks. Chicago sports is a barren wasteland right now. No hope anywhere. 

There's the Jack we know and love.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer