Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but eventually you're going to have to maybe pay someone slightly more than you value him at; not a significant amount more, but more. Otherwise they're just going to have all this money and never actually spend it properly.

Jerry won’t do that though. He’s proven time and again he needs to sell.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Well the Abreu extension was inexcusable, but I think this is less about what they had available in the budget and more how they valued Wheeler.

So who the fuck are they evaluating now?  It's not an excuse anymore.  They couldn't go 8-10 million to lock up a younger #2 SP? There is nothing worth getting over the next 2 years.  It's disgusting.

1 minute ago, DurhamStance said:

Had we heard anything about these "family considerations" until literally 5 minutes ago? Did I miss something. I know it's his wife's family or something, but would have thought we would have heard something before today. 

image.png

Bullshit. They didn't offer him more money. 

• Like 3

Just to put this in perspective this makes him the 9th highest paid SP in the MLB. Soon to be #11 after Cole and Strasburg sign. Do you think he's the 11th best pitcher in the MLB or has the potential to be a Top 25 pitcher? It simply wasn't worth that money. 

In parenthesis yes or no I would want that contract going forward) 

The tops are: Scherzer $36mm (Yes), Greinke $35mm (Yes - it's two years only), Verlander $33mm (Yes), Price $32mm (Hell no), Kershaw $31mm (Nope), Sale $30mm (on fence), DeGromw (Yes), Zimmerman $25mm (No)

There are only a few pitchers in my opinion that are worth that type of coin - arguably Wheeler wasn't even a Top 3 pitcher on the Mets. I'll take a pass on $120mm contract. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

So who the fuck are they evaluating now?  It's not an excuse anymore.  They couldn't go 8-10 million to lock up a younger #2 SP? There is nothing worth getting over the next 2 years.  It's disgusting.

I don’t know why people were so optimistic that the front office that couldn’t suck at free agency more during the last 5 years would all of a sudden be good at it.

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think we can all kiss any hope of winning anything goodbye. We can also kiss Moncada and Giolito goodbye after 2021, as they'll be traded and we'll just start the whole rebuild over again.

This fucking sucks. Chicago sports is a barren wasteland right now. No hope anywhere. 

R-E-L-A-X

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Anything over $20 million a year for that guy  or most SPs is absurd.  

It's not smart business. 

6 of the top 10 highest paid players in baseball were pitchers this year...5 of them made it to at least the playoffs.  4 in the World Series.  Just insanely stupid to pay pitchers a lot of money.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I will allow the Cubs to undo all of their free agent bad contracts as long as they give back that world series trophy. That's how you do it - if you sign no major free agents, you have no bad free agent contracts, and the Cubs were sorta helped by at least some of their free agent signings. So, trophy for no albatross contracts. Cub fans will take that deal right?

I think you totally missed my point that was explained afterwards. I'll give you a billion dollars if you can tell me how the Sox roster progresses in the next 3 years. Is Madrigal a star and Ichiro or is he a soft ball singles guy who really is just a 9 bat? Is Robert a perennial AS or even MVP or does he fizzle out like so many prospects do? How about Vaughn? Does Moncada repeat this year or 2018? Is Giolito a true top 10 pitching star?? Nobody with confidence knows what this team will look like in 2-3 years -- which in turn is the time when we should be really winining world series. So no need to press the gas pedal down too early. Especially at almost $24mm a year. 

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Just to put this in perspective this makes him the 9th highest paid SP in the MLB. Soon to be #11 after Cole and Strasburg sign. Do you think he's the 11th best pitcher in the MLB or has the potential to be a Top 25 pitcher? It simply wasn't worth that money. 

In parenthesis yes or no I would want that contract going forward) 

The tops are: Scherzer $36mm (Yes), Greinke $35mm (Yes - it's two years only), Verlander $33mm (Yes), Price $32mm (Hell no), Kershaw $31mm (Nope), Sale $30mm (on fence), DeGromw (Yes), Zimmerman $25mm (No)

There are only a few pitchers in my opinion that are worth that type of coin - arguably Wheeler wasn't even a Top 3 pitcher on the Mets. I'll take a pass on $120mm contract. 

Last year he was a top 25 pitcher. He has the potential to get even better than that. 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t know why people were so optimistic that the front office that couldn’t suck at free agency more during the last 5 years would all of a sudden be good at it.

I try to be optimistic about this, but they keep disappointing me over and over again. 
I now expect nothing. Alex Wood and Pineda, move on......

I don't want anything to do with Keuchel and Ryu. On the fence with Bumgarner. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer