Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

Wheeler was the guy. He was the only realistic shot at TOR performance that didn’t require a $160M+ contract. The other “fish in the sea” are either substantially worse or substantially more expensive. I don’t think the abject despair some are feeling is overblown if you look at the context of the market. 

The only way to get the pitching they need now is via trade, which would pull from a talented bun already thin system, thus hurting the teams chances, and all, again, for the sake of saving money. 

The team is simply not operating at the same level as the rest of the MLB. If this is how they are going to act, only blind luck will ever bring a championship 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

Had we heard anything about these "family considerations" until literally 5 minutes ago? Did I miss something. I know it's his wife's family or something, but would have thought we would have heard something before today. 

image.png

The family reason is that his family perferred more money than less.

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

I just can't see it without one of the top 3 SP. And apparently we have no interest in the top 2

I certainly would have liked to have Wheeler, but have reservations about how he fits with the current staff and that he's a perpetual underachiever. We'll see how things shake out. There's a long way to go. 

10 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Not me. Wheeler would be a fine addition, but no need to get in a bidding war over a guy like him. There are other fish in the sea. I actually think we are getting too aggressive a year early. I mean look at the Cubs and Heyward - most people were ecstatic with the signing on the North side, but fast forward a few years & the Cubs were cash strapped in 2019. That money could have been used to shore up a few other positions and been very beneficial. While I'm not against signing a Wheeler I do think we should be patient for another year and figure out what we have in house and the deficiencies that may arise (or be filled) internally. I'd like to see if Moncada, Giolito and Anderson can repeat their successes. I'd like to see if Kopech can come back and be effective and throw strikes. I'd like to see if Cease can round his game out. I'd like to know how Vaughn, Madrigal, Robert and various other prospects can handle MLB level. If Eloy can truly become a star. Is Collins just a backup DH/C or is there something there? There are just so many questions and so many outcomes that I think plugging holes with expensive multi year free agents at this time is pressing the gas pedal too quickly. it's one thing if you're the yankees or bosox or dodgers, but we're not. We don't have a whole ton of room for error under JR's budget. My opinion is that I'd rather let some of this shake out in 2019 and just add veterans on 1-2 year contracts right now that help us be competitive and fun. There's a <1% chance of us winning a World Series this year ... it's murderer's row getting through the Yankees and Astros and Dodgers and all the other tier 1 teams & I just don't see Kopech/Cease and other younger arms holding up through any playoff run. So definitely strike on guys like Grandal and Wheeler if you are SURE those are holes you'll have and NEED. But you have to balance that with the fact that you may need that money in 2-4 years when you have a real glaring hole & a better shot at the World Series after you know your young rosters true talent a bit more. I just am worried that we'll be like the Cubs where there are clear issues in 2023 and JR sits on the sidelines due to $$ constraints. 

There are a few of us thinking the same way. Too many question marks still in the young players especially the starting pitchers to seriously think of the Sox making the playoffs in 2020.

However I can't really blame those who wanted to compete this year and put all their eggs in the Wheeler basket. I didn't see them getting into the playoffs even with Wheeler as it still just gave them 2 good starting pitchers, That post you quoted by me literally is coming true right now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This board is too emotional right now. Gerrit Cole and Manny Machado Wheeler is not. He's a nice #2-3 SP that was overpaid becuase he was the best available in the tier 2 category. thats the type of stretch you make when you're knocking on the WS doorstep, not in 2020 coming of a 70something win season. 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Well the Abreu extension was inexcusable, but I think this is less about what they had available in the budget and more how they valued Wheeler.

Wheeler would have been great at 5 years 100 million.  I don't blame the FO for setting max value on potential candidates.  23+ million per year is above what most of us were thinking it would take.  We will have to see the offseason play out before making judgements.  I wouldn't mind getting serious about building the best bullpen with some of those extra dollars we didn't spend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Wheeler was the guy. He was the only realistic shot at TOR performance that didn’t require a $160M+ contract. The other “fish in the sea” are either substantially worse or substantially more expensive. I don’t think the abject despair some are feeling is overblown if you look at the context of the market. 

The only way to get the pitching they need now is via trade, which would pull from a talented bun already thin system, thus hurting the teams chances, and all, again, for the sake of saving money. 

The team is simply not operating at the same level as the rest of the MLB. If this is how they are going to act, only blind luck will ever bring a championship 

QFT

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer