Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Wheeler was the guy. He was the only realistic shot at TOR performance that didn’t require a $160M+ contract. The other “fish in the sea” are either substantially worse or substantially more expensive. I don’t think the abject despair some are feeling is overblown if you look at the context of the market. 

The only way to get the pitching they need now is via trade, which would pull from a talented bun already thin system, thus hurting the teams chances, and all, again, for the sake of saving money. 

The team is simply not operating at the same level as the rest of the MLB. If this is how they are going to act, only blind luck will ever bring a championship 

He's not a TOR pitcher though. He's good, but he's no ace. I think you guys are way too emotional. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Wheeler was the guy. He was the only realistic shot at TOR performance that didn’t require a $160M+ contract. The other “fish in the sea” are either substantially worse or substantially more expensive. I don’t think the abject despair some are feeling is overblown if you look at the context of the market. 

The only way to get the pitching they need now is via trade, which would pull from a talented bun already thin system, thus hurting the teams chances, and all, again, for the sake of saving money. 

The team is simply not operating at the same level as the rest of the MLB. If this is how they are going to act, only blind luck will ever bring a championship 

They had the highest offer.

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

He's not a TOR pitcher though. He's good, but he's no ace. I think you guys are way too emotional. 

When they missed on Manny last year, I felt like someone punched me in the gut. This year with Wheeler, it’s nothing like that.  Hopefully they get creative with this money now.

The other fish in the sea is true. Sorry. Go back 2-3 years and tell me if you thought you'd be heart broken about not signing Zack wheeler to a $24mm/yr contract?

There will be other SP that come along. Just like Giolito sprouted up and did well, there will be others. There will also be small market teams that are willing to trade Archers and Coles. 

Everything will be fine. Breathe and just enjoy a team that's finally turning the corner and on it's way to 81 wins. Have fun with it. There will be ups and (many) downs this year as these 22 & 23 year old kids learn the MLB. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer