Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

Just now, CanOfCorn said:

Just a hunch based on nothing, but I think the Sox trade for a pitcher.  Let someone else do the negotiating.  

If not that, how about taking a flyer on Rick Porcello?  As a low risk, high reward type?  I know it's not the "Next Step" signing we are all hoping for, but it could be as a former Cy Young winner?

I wonder who is even available.. I will be FURIOUS if we have to trade Madrigal or vaughn to grab a SP when we could have just offered Wheeler 10 million more or whatever.. Furious I tell you.

15 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

People are freaking out about their team (historically cheap) not paying a guy $120 million all based on future potential.  Same folks how outside of the one game pitched against the Sox haven't seen much of this guy pitch at all. 

Move on.  

I’m not sure you realize this, but Wheeler has been a damn good starter for two straight years.  The untapped upside is just the cherry on top.

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Philly is a nice city and some people just don't like the Midwest. I certainly don't. It is what it is. 

Plus Philly fans are just so darned friendly...You better pitch your ass off Wheels or you will be ducking batteries

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Sox are willing to spend. This was not a failure. They learned from last year. Wheeler is an idiot for leaving money on the table. That tweet from Rosenthal was enough to make me a believer. 

Might be a blessing in disguise.  Just need to see how the money is now used.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...Wheeler was a top 15 starter last year by fWAR and has untapped potential.  He’s worth every penny he just got paid.

LOL. LOL. LOL. 

Probably the same sox fan that freaked out about not signing manny machado. When Wheeler is hurt again and the deal is an overpay we can all look back and laugh. LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

I wonder who is even available.. I will be FURIOUS if we have to trade Madrigal or vaughn to grab a SP when we could have just offered Wheeler 10 million more or whatever.. Furious I tell you.

I don't know...but it could be a team clearing money for another signing or one close to the lux tax?  (and no, I don't want Price or Sale).

3 minutes ago, CanOfCorn said:

Just a hunch based on nothing, but I think the Sox trade for a pitcher.  Let someone else do the negotiating.  

If not that, how about taking a flyer on Rick Porcello?  As a low risk, high reward type?  I know it's not the "Next Step" signing we are all hoping for, but it could be as a former Cy Young winner?

I like porcello in the "I think he can regain his 4.5 era" way, not his "I think he can regain his cy young year" way.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

no because I think most fans just want to get the good players this offseason and not just happy the sox have a healthy cash flow.

I totally understand this but we already got one good player in a position of need. One middle of the rotation pitcher does not make an off-season. I would be upset if Grandel is the only signing but I suspect that will not be the case. 

I think its encouraging that they had the best offer. I personally think they could use the 23 million per year over the next 5 in a better way. 

Just now, wegner said:

Plus Philly fans are just so darned friendly...You better pitch your ass off Wheels or you will be ducking batteries

was it there football fan that booed santa or baseball i  know that Aaron Rowand earned there respect

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

LOL. LOL. LOL. 

Probably the same sox fan that freaked out about not signing manny machado. When Wheeler is hurt again and the deal is an overpay we can all look back and laugh. LOL

HAHAHA SOX HAVE EXCELLENT ROSTER EFFICIENCY WHO CARES WE HAVE 78 WINS HAHAHA THEY PAID TOO MUCH FOR A PLAYER BETTER THAN OURS HAHAHAHA

• Love 1