Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, dude I am not arguing anything.  I think that Scott Merkin, the Sox in-house beat writer for years and years, who definitely at times gets fed information and is told by the org if/when/how to disseminate it literally mentioning Zack Wheeler by name in an article that had nothing to do with free agency is very interesting.  That is it. That is all I am saying.  Nothing more.  And plenty of pitchers have been linked to the Sox by name in the media - why not list off Wheeler, Ryu, Keuchel and Madbum?  Why just mentioned Wheeler? I find it interesting, others find it interesting, you may not. 

OK.

You seemed to be pretty critical of my opinion that the Sox didn't sign Wheeler and release Yolmer because of that.

At what point can we concede the point that he wrote the article because he had been fed some inside information? If the Sox sign Wheeler in a week, will you circle back with I-Told-You-Sos? My entire point last night was the Sox had not signed Wheeler and released Yolmer for that reason. You disagreed and you belittled my opinion; now it appears that was accurate, but you are standing in principle by your initial belief.

The Sox have not been directly tied to any of the names you mentioned.  Speculatory? Sure, but the Sox were the "reported" high bidder on Wheeler. That is what, likely, drove Merkins piece.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, dude I am not arguing anything.  I think that Scott Merkin, the Sox in-house beat writer for years and years, who definitely at times gets fed information and is told by the org if/when/how to disseminate it literally mentioning Zack Wheeler by name in an article that had nothing to do with free agency is very interesting.  That is it. That is all I am saying.  Nothing more.  And plenty of pitchers have been linked to the Sox by name in the media - why not list off Wheeler, Ryu, Keuchel and Madbum?  Why just mentioned Wheeler? I find it interesting, others find it interesting, you may not. 

TONY REPORTED EYEBALLS!!!!!!! IT MAY BE HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

Granted you said you and your source have parted ways in the past, I think? But I trust your word in high regard.  The raBBit has spoken.  In raBBit we trust.

I am not saying it's necessarily happening but I do like our changes. And to be clear, when I was actively trying to get information I had more than one source of info. In any case, this info is me clumping together info/work from others. Things should become more clear this week. Sox are positioned to for an add to the roster in the short term. I am not at liberty to speak to it but Yolmer isn't the only move happening with regards to the 40 man. I do think the Sox are beginning to get confident but that doesn't mean the Padres or Phillies or Twins don't swoop in and blow away their offer.

In before people bring up Sox being confident on Machado (btw I think everyone is well aware of that now and for the remainder of the offseason so the reminders aren't so much needed).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

I am not saying it's necessarily happening but I do like our changes. And to be clear, when I was actively trying to get information I had more than one source of info. In any case, this info is me clumping together info/work from others. Things should become more clear this week. Sox are positioned to for an add to the roster in the short term. I am not at liberty to speak to it but Yolmer isn't the only move happening with regards to the 40 man. I do think the Sox are beginning to get confident but that doesn't mean the Padres or Phillies or Twins don't swoop in and blow away their offer.

In before people bring up Sox being confident on Machado (btw I think everyone is well aware of that now and for the remainder of the offseason so the reminders aren't so much needed).

Appreciate it as always, raBBit.  Thank you, you are the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ray is wrong about Merkin as his article is about Yolmer and the headline contains no mention of Wheeler.  He did not generate more clicks by adding Wheeler to it.

To be fair, I only read it because someone pointed out that he mentioned Wheeler.

16 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

No one is losing their mind.  

And how is the Sox inside beat writer legitimately naming Zack Wheeler in a Yolmer article not direct?  "Zack Wheeler...The team would need an open spot for any sort of free-agent addition, and the right-handed starter is a player who the White Sox had interest in. Any deal with Wheeler would mark another major step in the White Sox push to contention in ’20 and beyond..." seems pretty direct to me.  

I said that Merkin writing about Wheeler was not a direct indication that they had signed Wheeler or were close to doing so. You replied with the above. 

A beat writer writing about a player that the Sox have been tied to isn't direct; it's speculation based on rumors. There was nothing more to the Merkin article than that - that was my point. You disagreed with that point. It's not a big deal, but back tracking now is weak while pretending as if you never were critical of that take from me.

Edit: I don't want to carry this conversation on any further; have a great holiday week.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I said that Merkin writing about Wheeler was not a direct indication that they had signed Wheeler or were close to doing so. You replied with the above. 

A beat writer writing about a player that the Sox have been tied to isn't direct; it's speculation based on rumors. There was nothing more to the Merkin article than that - that was my point. You disagreed with that point. It's not a big deal, but back tracking now is weak while pretending as if you never were critical of that take from me.

Lol are you serious dude?  Nothing in that post was belittling to you.  I disagreed.  I am not backtracking at all.  I still think Merkin's comment was incredibly direct.  You don't.  Agree to disagree.   

13 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Thanks! That helps clarify it a little.

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Also, Sox didn't have to non-tender Yolmer until 12/2. Why'd the jump the gun by over a week? Sure, teams do it regularly but it's worth noting. 

Deadline is on Monday.  Since a fair number of people in the Sox front office are probably leaving town Wednesday -- Sunday, this may just be them getting out in front of this during a short holiday week.  I remain skeptical that the Yolmer move is related to anything.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer