Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

2 hours ago, aeichhor said:

Or have even officially been made 

Yolmer is official. Sox non-tendered their longest tenured player and never made any public acknowledgement of it. 

Burr has not been make official yet. Why they would wait, I don't know. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yolmer is official. Sox non-tendered their longest tenured player and never made any public acknowledgement of it. 

Both very strange things.

Rabbit, hearing anything new today?

The continuing lack of acknowledgement of Yolmer's release absent some other deal is very bizarre. I wonder how long they are gonna wait for whatever it is they are working on to be finalized. They have to say something. 

I'd really like to see Wheeler done but the closer it gets to winter meetings I think Wheeler's agents will prolly decide to see what happens there. 

44 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They probably haven't announced Yolmer because Jerry wants to give him his money, just not 6 million of it.

Was YOlmer really that much of a "fan favorite"? I mean, he won a gold glove and if the "fanbase" loves him so much, maybe they are trying to figure out a way for this not to look bad to casual fans who watch for the gatorade bucket shenanigans. 

I dunno. *shrug*

5 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Was YOlmer really that much of a "fan favorite"? I mean, he won a gold glove and if the "fanbase" loves him so much, maybe they are trying to figure out a way for this not to look bad to casual fans who watch for the gatorade bucket shenanigans. 

I dunno. *shrug*

Yes, before this year he was easily the most popular Sox player amongst the Sox fans at my kids’ school.

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

But that's my point of them not acknowledging that yolmer is gone. It's weird that they seem to be keeping it in along with burr if he's gone. 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They get very snitty when guys won't take less money to play for them. 

Is there evidence for this? I've only heard about how loyal the org has been, to a fault, nothing about burnt bridges for a million here or there. The "snitty for less money" thing sounds like the Astros or some comparable team on the other end of the spectrum. 

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Is there evidence for this? I've only heard about how loyal the org has been, to a fault, nothing about burnt bridges for a million here or there. The "snitty for less money" thing sounds like the Astros or some comparable team on the other end of the spectrum. 

The entire last offseason. Snitty is an understatement for the rants the President of Baseball Operations went on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Unless they were willing to overpay by 10-15%...$110-115 million, and nobody else was within $5-7.5 million...why wouldn’t Wheeler at least wait until the Winter Meetings?

You might even argue that waiting for the really big spending teams to miss out on Cole or Strasburg helps his case even more...let’s say the Nats know they won’t be able to keep Rendon on a 7 year deal, so they go all-in on Stras.

The other teams then losing out on Cole (or unwilling to go cray cray like LA under Friedman so far or even the Yankees recently, or Astros) are going to immediately set their sights on Wheeler, if they haven’t already.

Now you can make the argument those playoff ready teams with deep pockets might be more willing to give Bumgarner or Ryu bigger money for fewer years...Wheeler’s lack of overall wear and tear on his arm and relatively young status make him the obvious choice for anyone willing to go at least five years at $20-25 million.

Still seems likely that at least one of Ryu and Bumgarner remain in the NL...could argue the same for Hamels as well.  There’s also a lot of logic to one of Cole or Strasburg going back to Southern California, either Dodgers, Angels, Padres or possibly SFG.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Balta1701 said:

The entire last offseason. Snitty is an understatement for the rants the President of Baseball Operations went on.

Stay out of White Sox bidness!! I am rather fond of his spouse however. 

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Yes, before this year he was easily the most popular Sox player amongst the Sox fans at my kids’ school.

That's about right. Yolmer would be a kids fan favorite because of his fun loving attitude. 

Not sure about many adults loving him.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer