Jump to content
Soxnfins

Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Might not happen today, but it sounds like similar information others have gotten. Wheeler wants to move quick, and the Sox are right there with him. I expect something to pop in the next 72 hours. 

What better way to celebrate Thanksgiving than a big FA signing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Deadline is on Monday.  Since a fair number of people in the Sox front office are probably leaving town Wednesday -- Sunday, this may just be them getting out in front of this during a short holiday week.  I remain skeptical that the Yolmer move is related to anything.

I'm skeptical, but this doesn't make sense either. They didn't have to do anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Can't wait for the Sox to get outbid so we can all blame Abreu

I just laughed at the part of the article where "123 million spent on Abreu and Grandal" was tossed out as a "reason" they couldn't afford Wheeler.   Come on.  That's ash tray money in today's MLB.   If that's where they are at financially then just give up on competing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I just laughed at the part of the article where "123 million spent on Abreu and Grandal" was tossed out as a "reason" they couldn't afford Wheeler.   Come on.  That's ash tray money in today's MLB.   If that's where they are at financially then just give up on competing.

Right. And stating just the total number of the deal is stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Relax, asking sin city for info is like asking me and don't ask me ! I got nothin'. He did it for fun or torture for the more naive/gullible.

I figured that. But talk about a coincidence! Literally just a  minute before Tony's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tony said:

Might not happen today, but it sounds like similar information others have gotten. Wheeler wants to move quick, and the Sox are right there with him. I expect something to pop in the next 72 hours. 

downgraded from tonynugget to tonynibble.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No mention of the Sox (or any team besides the Twins thing on the bottom) but Heyman thinks he can sign early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, not totally clear how people feel about Merkin and it seems like there is a spectrum of opinions  here. That said, you can make points towards his loyalty (been covering the team for 15+ years) and that he writes for MLB.com  as factors that are potentially limiting his objectivity and I would get that. I would imagine that Scott is limited on information that he can go public with (the Sox want to break their news themselves) and he often knows more than he lets off. Without a doubt, he is very much in the know and established around the Sox decision makers who everyone knows don't change too often. 

Whether you like his work or think he's the best source of Sox info is one thing, but his insight should be taken seriously. No doubt about that.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat. Thanks for the tidbits. I will keep my hopes in check though. After last season it would be foolish to get prematurely excited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Also, not totally clear how people feel about Merkin and it seems like there is a spectrum of opinions  here. That said, you can make points towards his loyalty (been covering the team for 15+ years) and that he writes for MLB.com  as factors that are potentially limiting his objectivity and I would get that. I would imagine that Scott is limited on information that he can go public with (the Sox want to break their news themselves) and he often knows more than he lets off. Without a doubt, he is very much in the know and established around the Sox decision makers who everyone knows don't change too often. 

Whether you like his work or think he's the best source of Sox info is one thing, but his insight should be taken seriously. No doubt about that.

Bingo again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merkin definitely is in the know and says things the Sox want him to. He wouldn't randomly jeopardize his job by writing a nugget about Wheeler unless it came from a reputable source. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bmags said:

Did Grandal not qualify as marquee?

I think marquee is modifying starter not free agent here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I am not saying it's necessarily happening but I do like our changes. And to be clear, when I was actively trying to get information I had more than one source of info. In any case, this info is me clumping together info/work from others. Things should become more clear this week. Sox are positioned to for an add to the roster in the short term. I am not at liberty to speak to it but Yolmer isn't the only move happening with regards to the 40 man. I do think the Sox are beginning to get confident but that doesn't mean the Padres or Phillies or Twins don't swoop in and blow away their offer.

In before people bring up Sox being confident on Machado (btw I think everyone is well aware of that now and for the remainder of the offseason so the reminders aren't so much needed).

Interesting that another 40 man move is coming. 

 

I wonder if this means Collins is about to get moved. I hope not cause we need as many LHH OBP power bats as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Interesting that another 40 man move is coming. 

I wonder if this means Collins is about to get moved. I hope not cause we need as many LHH OBP power bats as possible.

Indeed.  I would think it would be either a trade waiting on medicals or another Yolmer like moving cutting someone they plan to non-tender next week anyway.  No reason to DFA someone until the roster spot is needed, so kind of doubt it a back of the 40 man move.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Bingo. 

Oh c'mon now he's stating the obvious. Noted and re-noted already 1000's of times He even said it happens regularly. It's like me yelling BINGO that Merkin can come to the same conclusions as the rest of us. It may or may not have anything to do with Yolmer and it took no special knowledge except staying current with rumors to draw that conclusion. Merkin could be right or wrong just like the rest of us. I love the optimism and normally I am the optimistic type but when it comes to rumors I'm indifferent at best. Getting any news won't happen any faster because I have a positive attitude or put my belief in total strangers. I guess I just don't like feeling gullible or taken for a fool. 99.5 % of it is pure unadulterated speculation. I can do that myself without help from that 99.5 % .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Seriously. Dude could spin a free lunch into a negative.

 

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You should just take a timeout man.   You're clearly not getting any enjoyment out of this anymore.  Might be for the best long term wrt to your fandom.

Truly exhausting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×