Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Trout has a 400+ million contract we would have to absorb. The latter half of it will be bad even if he is still a decent player and Robert is cost controlled for 7 years which means we get practically all his 20s which will be his prime years. 

So no.....I wouldn't trade Robert for Trout. 

If Robert ends up being worth 1/5th of what Trout was worth through his age 28 season, I think Sox fans would be happy. 1/5th!

I love Robert; I am super excited for his arrival. Saying you wouldn't trade Luis Robert for Mike Trout is just crazy talk though. 400 million for Trout is a bargain. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You wouldn't trade Luis Robert for Mike Trout straight up? Say what? 

"Just spend it on Betts?" Betts is very good; he's still significantly worse than Mike Trout.

If the Angels called and offered the Sox Trout for Robert today, and the Sox rejected, it that would be worthy of changing fanhoods. 

Trout might end up as the greatest of all-time - if not that, then in the top 5. I'd trade Madrigal and Robert for Trout.

I mean, the argument is probably moot because we aren't handing out a contract that big, so we are living in a hypothetical world.  But in that hypothetical world, I think Robert and Betts have a combined value that is higher than Trout and whoever we put in RF (maybe not for next year if Robert struggles out of the gate, but in a couple years when we are competing for a title).

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If Robert ends up being worth 1/5th of what Trout was worth through his age 28 season, I think Sox fans would be happy. 1/5th!

I love Robert; I am super excited for his arrival. Saying you wouldn't trade Luis Robert for Mike Trout is just crazy talk though. 400 million for Trout is a bargain. 

It would be a bargain if Trout were 25. He will turn 29 during the season. I wouldn't touch that deal. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It would be a bargain if Trout were 25. He will turn 29 during the season. I wouldn't touch that deal. 

Agree to disagree.

Trout could be worth 50% of what he was worth in his first 9 years and he'd be worth his contract. I don't think people realize how historically good Trout is and people like him have aged really gracefully. Trout isn't going to fall off the face of the earth, for example.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Agree to disagree.

Trout could be worth 50% of what he was worth in his first 9 years and he'd be worth his contract. I don't think people realize how historically good Trout is and people like him have aged really gracefully. Trout isn't going to fall off the face of the earth, for example.

I actually agree with you here. I think he's the best player on the planet and the best player of all time. I think he is worth the contract. I just think that in 2022, for example, Trout + random 2 WAR player will be less valuable than the combined WAR of Robert and Betts.

It does sound ridiculous to say I wouldn't make that trade, but like I said, this is in the hypothetical world where we are ok with a $400M contract.  And if we are ok with that, just spend it on Betts. And I'm not trying to say Betts is as good as Trout.

Im not disputing that Trout is worth more than the 35m or whatever his AAV is. But he's gonna be 29 so of the remaining 11 or 12 years of his deal, I don't think he can produce 8+ WAR per year for more than maybe 3 more seasons. Once he has to move to the corner which will happen at some point, his value will take a hit too. Once you get past 32 or so, it's gonna be rough.

Looking at the next 3-4 years when Robert is making peanuts, I guess I'd rather have a 3-5 WAR player making 1m or less than an 8-9 WAR player making 35m. Trout's production in his early thirties in no way will be worth 35x Robert's and even a prime Trout's production (10 WAR) still wouldn't be worth 35x Roberts.

With his defense in CF, Robert's floor is prolly a 3 win player. He is that much of a monster. With some plate discipline and experience, I wouldn't be even  remotely shocked if he is a 5 win guy consistently in his prime. 

You'll have to pluck Robert from my cold, dead hands. Hell no to any trade. 

5 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It would take a ton a to get that deal done, and quite frankly I don't think Archer is anything special. 

Pass.   Trading assets vs spending FA money is the old antiquated mentality we need to finally get away from. 

Agreed.  Trades are for teams without money except in unique situations (perhaps our RF).

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why? If anything, I’m more confident now as the Reds were one of the teams interested in him but probably aren’t any longer with the Moustakas signing.

They were allegedly in on Castellanos and Didi as well.  They probably end up with 1 of them.

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Market is moving quickly. I bet Wheeler signs before the winter meetings but I just don’t think it will be with the Sox

I think the Sox are ready to go 5/110 for Wheeler.  They may have already offered him that.  But with Wheeler's market reportedly blowing up the way it has, I'm starting to think someone may throw him a 6/125 offer.

4 hours ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

They're both better than the AAAA clown car of a rotation the Sox have been throwing out there. If one of these sorts is signed to fill a rotation hole for a single season, fine.

• Chris Archer had a 0.7 pitching WAR last year and a 0.5 pitching WAR the year prior. Why would we want to waste $10m/year on that? 
  • Dallas Keuchel is slightly more interesting but is a shell of his peak years wholly dependent on team defense and found his way to a 2.7 WAR last year

Zack Wheeler's career is trending in the right direction with 3.5 and 3.9 WARs the past two seasons.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer