Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I struggle to understand the necessity to add a 2nd veteran pitcher on a multi-year deal. Just seems like a poor use of resources, but I guess you can never have too much pitching. 

I think the second would be a one year deal UNLESS a guy like Ryu falls too cheaply to pass on (3 years for 45) 

I struggle to understand the necessity to add a 2nd veteran pitcher on a multi-year deal. Just seems like a poor use of resources, but I guess you can never have too much pitching. 

This tells me two things.

1. Kopech will be called up in June.

2. He will replace Lopez when he comes back. Unless Hamels is awful, in which case he becomes a lefty ace hopefully in the pen. 

For anyone who thinks it's crazy to call up Kopech in June remember this we get that year back we lost, and he will pitch through the remainder of the season and for a playoff run. They will tell him they want him to ease back into things at AAA limiting innings pitched and increasing rest. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They either are planning on keep Kopech in the minors to get back the extra year or maybe they want to move Lopez to the pen. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

2. He will replace Lopez when he comes back. Unless Hamels is awful, in which case he becomes a lefty ace hopefully in the pen. 

For anyone who thinks it's crazy to call up Kopech in June remember this we get that year back we lost, and he will pitch through the remainder of the season and for a playoff run. They will tell him they want him to ease back into things at AAA limiting innings pitched and increasing rest. 

There is nothing wrong with Kopech staying down to get the year back and get control down.  That's why we need 2 SP's this off season, just not 2 on multi-year deals.

Unless you are trading Lopez for a RF.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think its a no brainer for Kopech to be in AAA with the kid gloves until they get the year of control back. Hahn has pretty much already said that is what they're going to do.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yup, 100% make sense to sign a second SP to get that year of service time back.

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

They either are planning on keep Kopech in the minors to get back the extra year or maybe they want to move Lopez to the pen. 

Yah I am moreso referring to 2021.  Let's just say Sox sign Wheeler 5/$105 and Hamels 2/$25M.

In 2021 you have Giolito, Wheeler, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Hamels, and Rodon.  With Dunning, Lambert and Stiever not terribly far away.  That is a lot of SP.  Obviously someone will get injured and maybe Lopez isn't a SP long term (I think he is), but that I just don't see the need to add 2 multiyear SP.  But I guess you could always just trade from the depth - its not the worth thing in the world.  

I think its a no brainer for Kopech to be in AAA with the kid gloves until they get the year of control back. Hahn has pretty much already said that is what they're going to do.  

They would only be getting whatever time he spends in Chicago in 2020 "back" correct, like we would just want this year to not count? The math on this is frying my brain atm.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yep and it's not just for getting that year back. We don't want a Strasburg situation where you can't use him in the stretch run or playoffs, if you make it. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer